John Fox is still employed

G08

58 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

No one is saying it does but you can't put the blame solely at his feet when he wasn't the lead guy in the search.

I don't blame just him, but blaming George and Ernie doesn't matter.

I want to believe in Pace, but this mess of a season has me doubting him. This was suppose to be a year where they improve and take a step. 

Between his massive Glennon mistake and keeping a lame coaching staff it blew up in his face.

11 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

G08

You are big in McDaniels. What if McDaniels tells you he wants to coach the Bears and work without Trubisky.

But only if he can bring Nick Cesario as GM.

What then?

I tell him to go **** himself :)

• Define what you want. The Rams fired Fisher with three weeks left in the season, which allowed them to start the process early, and it kicked off with some research. More specifically, the team started panning people inside the building (players, trainers, scouts, equipment people) about what was lacking. Then the Rams started to kick the tires on the methods of some other teams, like the Steelers.

The biggest thing to come from that work: Xs-and-0s were a small piece of what the team should seek, which was part of why the Rams inquired about position coaches like Steve Wilks and Mike Vrabel. And yes, McVay has that part of it, but it was more important, based on their own self-study, for the Rams to emphasize accountability, communication and energy. McVay quickly made it clear he had those things, too.

https://t.co/MAhbIhgqk4?amp=1

9 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I do not think you give Pace an extension.

I do not think his record or resume to this point requires or deserves that. Maybe if it is a deal breaker for the coach you really want, but I am not rushing to extend Pace and I doubt after this disaster he is going to push for it.

Pace at best is unknown, at worse is 12-32 and has more misses than hits.

It’s not unprecedented at all though. Oakland extended Reggie McKenzie after 4-12, 4-12, 3-13 and 7-9 his first 4 years. 

33 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

• Define what you want. The Rams fired Fisher with three weeks left in the season, which allowed them to start the process early, and it kicked off with some research. More specifically, the team started panning people inside the building (players, trainers, scouts, equipment people) about what was lacking. Then the Rams started to kick the tires on the methods of some other teams, like the Steelers.

The biggest thing to come from that work: Xs-and-0s were a small piece of what the team should seek, which was part of why the Rams inquired about position coaches like Steve Wilks and Mike Vrabel. And yes, McVay has that part of it, but it was more important, based on their own self-study, for the Rams to emphasize accountability, communication and energy. McVay quickly made it clear he had those things, too.

https://t.co/MAhbIhgqk4?amp=1

Great read. Know what name was flashing in my brain as I read this? John DeFilippo.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

Great read. Know what name was flashing in my brain as I read this? John DeFilippo.

He is probably my #1 now.

I like LaFleur and what the Rams are doing, but no play calling experience scares me a little.

It might have been in Cleveland, but at least you have 16 games of tape and results.

You’re operating under the assumption Pace is trying to hit home runs with marginal guys in FA to this point. I’m not sure that’s the case. If Pace has always had the green light for a 5-year rebuild (remember Virginia was embarsssed and pissed off) then all these marginal guys on one-year deals are just placeholders. If they hit then great - extend them, but if not then they serve their purpose and they’re gone. The HH renovation with a huge involvement from Pace sure suggests he has that kind of security that comes with a green lit 5-year rebuild. The Cubs filled out their roster with replacement level guys too while they were making their way from the bare cupboard to what they became. 

Where would we be if we landed AJ Bouye and kept Alshon for what he got from the Eagles or on the tag? 7-8 wins? There’s still other obvious deficiencies. 7-8 wins this year almost certainly saves Fox’s job for 2018. Is that what’s best for the long term of the team? I know you don’t think so. In a long term rebuild Fox is a more prominent piece but ultimately still an expendable one.

You’re up in arms working toward a myocardial infarction because you need an immediate return, and that’s the nature of fandom especially in football. Nobody wants to watch rebuilding seasons. But guess what - if Pace’s game has always been about 2019, 2020 and beyond then your rage and pontification is all falling on deaf ears. The Bears see empty seats now, but they also know that Soldier Field will again be packed and the merchandise will again be flying off the shelves once the team is back to respectability, and even more so when they get continually good. One step backward for two forward. Long game. If it goes according to plan that is not only good business, it’s great business. 

I'm wondering how this will all play out... they likely should have a first round bye in the playoffs so I'm hoping Pace pounces on him at that moment.

One thing about Ryan Pace, he's a genuine and charismatic young man and he can sell you his vision with energy and passion. I think that is going to resonate very, very well with DeFilippo if he is so inclined. I'm also hoping we can get Trubisky and him to sit down and feel each other out, which I also think is going to work out very well on our behalf.

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

You’re operating under the assumption Pace is trying to hit home runs with marginal guys in FA to this point. I’m not sure that’s the case. If Pace has always had the green light for a 5-year rebuild (remember Virginia was embarsssed and pissed off) then all these marginal guys on one-year deals are just placeholders. If they hit then great - extend them, but if not then they serve their purpose and they’re gone. The HH renovation with a huge involvement from Pace sure suggests he has that kind of security that comes with a green lit 5-year rebuild. The Cubs filled out their roster with replacement level guys too while they were making their way from the bare cupboard to what they became. 

Where would we be if we landed AJ Bouye and kept Alshon for what he got from the Eagles or on the tag? 7-8 wins? There’s still other obvious deficiencies. 7-8 wins this year almost certainly saves Fox’s job for 2018. Is that what’s best for the long term of the team? I know you don’t think so. In a long term rebuild Fox is a more prominent piece but ultimately still an expendable one.

You’re up in arms working toward a myocardial infarction because you need an immediate return, and that’s the nature of fandom especially in football. Nobody wants to watch rebuilding seasons. But guess what - if Pace’s game has always been about 2019, 2020 and beyond then your rage and pontification is all falling on deaf ears. The Bears see empty seats now, but they also know that Soldier Field will again be packed and the merchandise will again be flying off the shelves once the team is back to respectability, and even more so when they get continually good. One step backward for two forward. Long game. If it goes according to plan that is not only good business, it’s great business. 

Not home runs.

Just not signing worthless players.

Not up in arms. Just pointing out legitimate issues with Ryan Pace.  As I have said multiple times, I don't want him fired, but he deserves to take a beating and feel some serious pressure.

6 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

He is probably my #1 now.

I like LaFleur and what the Rams are doing, but no play calling experience scares me a little.

It might have been in Cleveland, but at least you have 16 games of tape and results.

That tape and those results were far from good tho...yes it was Cleveland but they averaged just 17.4 PPG good for 30th in the NFL...25th in Yards per game...21st in Passing...22nd in Rushing...3rd down completion was a bright spot at 42% good for 9th in the NFL but the results were not great...I think it is a big ask to think he is going to leave a great QB focused situation with Pederson & Reich on staff as well as a QB coach and then be able to run an entire franchise...had he been a QB coach under a defensive HC or an OC who was OL focused or something like that then fair enough but I would question if it is all him with Wentz or if it is three really good QB coaches two of whom played the position in the NFL.

Archived