Ravens place tag on QB Lamar Jackson; Jackson requests trade (Page 52)

RaidersAreOne

11 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

False. His 2022 season was better than his 2021 season. Slightly better passing, much better rushing. 

But a closer look reveals his production is tied to his supporting cast.

2019: Great O-line, RBs, TEs = MVP
2020: O-line attrition, TE attrition = very good, winning season (11-4). 
2021: Terrible O-line, RB corps devastated = worst season, but still in 1st place when Lamar is injured
2022: O-line bounces back by mid-way through season, RBs come back sporadically but not fully recovered, terrible WR corps with injury = still 1st place when Lamar is injured, but not as productive as 2019. 

That 2019 Ravens team had a record number of Pro Bowlers. 13 if I'm not mistaken. I think it's safe to say at this point his MVP season was an outlier because he's never getting that level of support again.

Edited by StatKing
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, wackywabbit said:

Interesting... 

Is it a bad sign that I see more "Joe Flacco is a free agent, so we don't need him"?

As an avid twitter user, I can't tell you how factual it is that like every reply to anything Lamar/Ravens on there is crushing the Ravens for some reason. These people are actually brain dead.

• Like 1

Just now, StatKing said:

That 2019 Ravens team had a record number of Pro Bowlers. 13 if I'm not mistaken. I think it's safe to say at this point his MVP season was an outlier.

And most of those Pro Bowlers are still on the team or were a product of Lamar's offense. For goodness sakes, Mark Ingram was a Pro Bowler that year!

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I believe that if the Ravens ultimately decide to move on it will be via trade and that they'll receive more than 2 FRPs. I also believe that Lamar is going to get a mega deal either from the Ravens or whatever team acquires him. 

I’m a team that can sign Lamar to an offer sheet to a mega deal + give Baltimore 2 FRPs, I can do that today (which is what the Ravens allow to happen, they chose the non-exclusive tag)

But instead I will give the Ravens more than 2 FRPs and still give Lamar that same mega deal, for reasons

Good luck dude

Just now, Soko said:

I’m a team that can sign Lamar to an offer sheet to a mega deal + give Baltimore 2 FRPs, I can do that today (which is what the Ravens allow to happen, they chose the non-exclusive tag)

But instead I will give the Ravens more than 2 FRPs and still give Lamar that same mega deal, for reasons

Good luck dude

I think you can be a little more creative with cap space (like Ravens will eat X amount of cap space) + pieces being moved if you just do a sign + trade vs. an offer sheet, but don't quote me on that.

7 minutes ago, StatKing said:

That 2019 Ravens team had a record number of Pro Bowlers. 13 if I'm not mistaken. I think it's safe to say at this point his MVP season was an outlier because he's never getting that level of support again.

1. Go here: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rav/2019-snap-counts.htm

2. Sort by number of offensive snaps

3. Be embarrassed with your take

Edited by wackywabbit

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He started last year on a terror but really tapered off as the year went on. 

Over the first three games he had 750 passing yards (250 ypg), 243 rushing yards (81 ypg), and 12 total TD (10 passing/2 rushing) over the last 9 games he had 1,493 passing yards (166 ypg), 521 rushing yards (58 ypg), and 8 total TD (7 passing/1 rushing). 

3 of the past 4 full games that Lamar started in 2022 the team scored 27 points and was very good offensively (vs. Bucs, Jags, Saints). Those are 3 of the top 5 Ravens games by offensive EPA.  

10 minutes ago, StatKing said:

It could happen, and if it does I wouldn't be surprised if he wins another MVP. 

He just needs a great O-line and a solid stable of TEs and RBs. That's not too hard to put together, given you don't have to invest much in the WR position. 

2 minutes ago, Soko said:

Good luck dude

Option A: You have a month to negotiate the largest deal in NFL history and then have to trade away 2 FRPs if you can get it done. 

Option B: You negotiate with the Ravens which gives you more control of the assets you send back for Lamar (could be a player, different picks, etc.) you give yourself a much longer run way to figure it out. And in the worst case scenario you have Lamar under team control for the next three seasons at $32.4M, $38.8M, and $55.9M with the ability to move on with zero dead money after any season.

5 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

He just needs a great O-line and a solid stable of TEs and RBs. That's not too hard to put together, given you don't have to invest much in the WR position. 

And an elite defense that won't ask him to pass the ball a ton because they're playing from behind.

Just now, StatKing said:

I'm sure he's going to get more support once he gets paid 50 mil a year. Still doesn't change the fact he hasn't been close to the same player since that one season.

Not going to acknowledge that you overrated the 2019 supporting cast?

I want to hear your Seth Roberts is underrated take.

12 minutes ago, AngusMcFife said:

The scratch off I bought an hour ago could be worth 50k. What's more likely? Hitting that 50k or me just being a degenerate gambler? 

If he needs 2/3rds of the offense around him to be above average then maybe he isn't as good as you think he is.