Who is Your Number 1 Free Agency Target? Poll

brownie man

If you could one free agent who would you pick?   

24 members have voted

1. 1. Who’s your number 1 target?

• Javon Hargrave
    • Marcus Davenport
    • DreMont Jones
    • Bobby Wagner
    • Jessie Bates
    • Chauncey Gardner Johnson
    • Other (please list)

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I like dude a lot, he had a lot of potential, we just need a veteran to keep him and Winfrey in line.

Yeah no one has or will ever deny the physical ability, but for all the talk about not valuing character enough last season this is less than ideal.

He and Winfrey in the same DL room is gonna be interesting.  Maybe they’re just young dudes who figure it out, or maybe they’re the last thing the other needs. Not sure how interested I am to find out which it is.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yeah no one has or will ever deny the physical ability, but for all the talk about not valuing character enough last season this is less than ideal.

He and Winfrey in the same DL room is gonna be interesting.  Maybe they’re just young dudes who figure it out, or maybe they’re the last thing the other needs. Not sure how interested I am to find out which it is.

You would think this has to have the blessing of Schwartz, maybe he might be just what the doctor ordered for at least one of them. I think you might see a lot of guys on this young defense grow up.

3 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Schwartz will light an M-80 and shove it so far up their keister it'll be scraping their tonsils if they don't fall in line, so hopefully they realize he can actually help their career and get with the program.

edit: simultaneous post with @MSURacerDT55 along the same lines

Edited by dawgdish
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You would think this has to have the blessing of Schwartz, maybe he might be just what the doctor ordered for at least one of them. I think you might see a lot of guys on this young defense grow up.

6 hours ago, dawgdish said:

Schwartz will light an M-80 and shove it so far up their keister it'll be scraping their tonsils if they don't fall in line, so hopefully they realize he can actually help their career and get with the program.

edit: simultaneous post with @MSURacerDT55 along the same lines

Oh I’m sure Gym Shorts is on board and it’s definitely going to be a different vibe than the previous years with Woods.

And I realize this may be wishful thinking, but it’s possible Winfrey turned a corner last season after being benched.  You got the sense the rest of the team was not particularly impressed by his behavior, not just the coaches, and perhaps that had some impact on him.  Let’s hope anyway.

I love what Berry is doing though otherwise.  I feel really confident that he sees what we as fans do as far as weaknesses and he definitely makes a point to attack them.  Tomlinson is a proven talent who’s gonna hold down the 1/NT spot and Hill/Hurst are low risk/high reward guys with gobs of talent that paired with Winfrey give us 3 nice, cheap options with some high upside.

I’m not sure what any of this means for Togiai or Elliot, but I’m sure they’ll get their shot.  I’d also be surprised if we don’t add someone via the draft. Mazi Smith would fit this group really well imo.

Either way, there looks to be a lot of guys fighting for 4-5 roster spots and competition and some depth is never a bad thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Oh I’m sure Gym Shorts is on board and it’s definitely going to be a different vibe than the previous years with Woods.

And I realize this may be wishful thinking, but it’s possible Winfrey turned a corner last season after being benched.  You got the sense the rest of the team was not particularly impressed by his behavior, not just the coaches, and perhaps that had some impact on him.  Let’s hope anyway.

I love what Berry is doing though otherwise.  I feel really confident that he sees what we as fans do as far as weaknesses and he definitely makes a point to attack them.  Tomlinson is a proven talent who’s gonna hold down the 1/NT spot and Hill/Hurst are low risk/high reward guys with gobs of talent that paired with Winfrey give us 3 nice, cheap options with some high upside.

I’m not sure what any of this means for Togiai or Elliot, but I’m sure they’ll get their shot.  I’d also be surprised if we don’t add someone via the draft. Mazi Smith would fit this group really well imo.

Either way, there looks to be a lot of guys fighting for 4-5 roster spots and competition and some depth is never a bad thing.

- I no lie almost spit out my coffee with the Gym Shorts thing, that was funny 

- those guys are toast, they showed what they were. As weird as it may sound, I would rather give Malik McDowell another shot with Gym Shorts barking at him than wasting his time with those two duds 

- This situation has Mazi Smith written all over it, the problem is our WR situation, I damn near guarantee our 2nd is going to be dedicated to a WR either by draft or by trade. I can't see how we get a legit WR and still be in position to draft Smith at #42

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

can’t even take credit for that, it’s an old moniker.

- those guys are toast, they showed what they were. As weird as it may sound, I would rather give Malik McDowell another shot with Gym Shorts barking at him than wasting his time with those two duds 

the only thing that gives me hope for them is how *** Woods was at coaching and coordinating a front.  Literally everyone had difficult assignments compared to other players around the league and the scheme didn’t suit their abilities at all.  Not saying they’re great, but I think better support could allow them to be viable 4th-5th DTs.

- This situation has Mazi Smith written all over it, the problem is our WR situation, I damn near guarantee our 2nd is going to be dedicated to a WR either by draft or by trade. I can't see how we get a legit WR and still be in position to draft Smith at #42

I don’t think you’re wrong but I also think our defense has more of a talent issue than our offense. Also, I’ve seem a lot of people projecting smith to go later for whatever reason (I’m assuming it’s his lack of pass rush upside).

I also don’t love the receivers typically mocked in the R2 range personally.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t think you’re wrong but I also think our defense has more of a talent issue than our offense. Also, I’ve seem a lot of people projecting smith to go later for whatever reason (I’m assuming it’s his lack of pass rush upside).

I also don’t love the receivers typically mocked in the R2 range personally.

This is why I was disappointed he didn't do much at the combine, I think his athletic numbers could tell about his upside as a pass rusher, plus I think they had him playing a lot as a 1-Tech. I think they beefed him to play that spit but his natural athletic ability would suggest if he were 10-15lbs lighter, he would even more explosive \

We could also get a guy like Keeanu Benton in the 3rd as well though 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This is why I was disappointed he didn't do much at the combine, I think his athletic numbers could tell about his upside as a pass rusher, plus I think they had him playing a lot as a 1-Tech. I think they beefed him to play that spit but his natural athletic ability would suggest if he were 10-15lbs lighter, he would even more explosive \

We could also get a guy like Keeanu Benton in the 3rd as well though 

Im a fan of both of those dudes.  And yeah, Smith is a freak in general by all accounts.  Would have loved to see him compete at the combine.

And maybe he’s just on my mind because we just signed him, but Tomlinson was viewed as a run stuffer but has shown enough pass rush ability to be a 3 down dude and I think Smith can develop into a similar type of player. At a minimum he’s a load as a 0/1 tech.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

You bring up interesting points 

Really not seeing this right now