The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?

CWood21

8 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

He apparently has a nasty slider. At worst, he’s a solid BP guy.

Exactly. He's a BOR and potential swing guy. They're so valuable in today's game, as rotation injuries are inevitable...

He's also posted the best two years of his career in 2018 and 2019, so he's gotten better with age and coming off his TJS in 2017...

Solid low risk signing...

• Like 1

Still think we need another starter and not someone that’s just an innings eater. Someone actually worth a damn. Not landing Bumgarner was a joke with that contract. Ryu is probably the next best thing right? His injury history concerns me though. Also still need to replace Ozuna if he’s not coming back. Castellanos?

Edited by ttitansfan4life

17 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Still think we need another starter and not someone that’s just an innings eater. Someone actually worth a damn. Not landing Bumgarner was a joke with that contract. Ryu is probably the next best thing right? His injury history concerns me though. Also still need to replace Ozuna if he’s not coming back. Castellanos?

I don’t really want to give Ryu the contract it’ll take to bring him here. 

I kind of wonder if we're not building for a BP start type of situation for our #5 spot. Jack, Dak, Mikolas, best of the bunch, and then #5 could be Kim, and the losers of the #4 spot all making 2-3 inning appearances. Or even have a BP with no real defined roles and throw the starters and relievers in any order by matchup. Maybe too radical, but it might happen.

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I kind of wonder if we're not building for a BP start type of situation for our #5 spot. Jack, Dak, Mikolas, best of the bunch, and then #5 could be Kim, and the losers of the #4 spot all making 2-3 inning appearances. Or even have a BP with no real defined roles and throw the starters and relievers in any order by matchup. Maybe too radical, but it might happen.

Doubtful but who knows at this point. I just like the competition the front office is trying to create. And I like the fact that they're dipping in to the international market. Maybe this signing and improvement by some of our prospects like Genesis and/or Helsley could give the front office the flexibility to help the roster in other areas. 

And the Cardinals know they're going to have to pony up to keep Flaherty in a Redbird jersey, the days of players taking less to play in St. Louis are long gone. Jack is going to break the bank, and not having to commit 4-5 years into a pitcher is going to help. 

• CWood21 changed the title to The STL Cardinals Thread - New Season, Same Old Cardinals?