The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

So Kelly is back to Memphis? I guess it's good to let him see some at bats. I'm not sure why he was in St.Louis so much last year if this was the plan. 

I think it's better outcome for him, as he'll play everyday in Memphis. He had a really rough going with the bat in ST...

It's pretty evident to me this FO/staff are afraid to reduce Molina's everyday role until he says he can't or his production falls off a cliff...

We should be looking to move Kelly in a deal sooner than later IMO...

On 3/19/2018 at 8:49 AM, MOSteelers56 said:

So Kelly is back to Memphis? I guess it's good to let him see some at bats. I'm not sure why he was in St.Louis so much last year if this was the plan. 

I mean, that should have been a no-brainer assuming anyone managed to swing the bat even halfway decent.  Seems like the position is Francisco Pena's.

He might not make the team, but I'm extremely happy for Mike Mayers, dude is having a tremendous Spring. Good for him. Also, Munoz needs to be on this team, hopefully Matheny makes the right decision. I know this comp. has been brought up before, but the dude reminds me so much of Jhonny Peralta 

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

He might not make the team, but I'm extremely happy for Mike Mayers, dude is having a tremendous Spring. Good for him. Also, Munoz needs to be on this team, hopefully Matheny makes the right decision. I know this comp. has been brought up before, but the dude reminds me so much of Jhonny Peralta 

Mayers will be with the team soon enough. I bet he'll be one of the first on the Memphis-STL shuttle. I agree 100% about Munoz. The kid rakes and he can play darn near any position. I wish we'd keep a bigger bench instead of the oversized BP.

Edited by MOSteelers56

15 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, that should have been a no-brainer assuming anyone managed to swing the bat even halfway decent.  Seems like the position is Francisco Pena's.

Heard a stat yesterday that since Kelly was called up in July of last year, he received a total of 69 AB's-including this ST. That's insanity, no wonder he's rusty...

This is the right move sending him down to get everyday AB's, as they are needed.

I just hope that we don't waste this kid. He's MLB ready now. We need to either trade him this year or off-season, or actually let him take on a 50/50 split or more in 2019. I'd hate to see us waste his value...

12 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Mayers apparently dumped his sinker and change-up and it's helped. I don;'t think he'll make the team, but as @MOSteelers56 alluded too, he'll be one of, if not the first, guys called up on the I-55 shuttle between STL and Memphis...

He deserves a spot on the team w/ his ST performance, but there simply isn't one. We only really have two spots where we have flexibility. Bowman and Brebbia are the only two who still have options (Leone does too, but I think he's locked in with how he's pitched and what role we plan to use him in-possible CL).

Norris has had a rough ST, but he's a vet and I think his deal keeps him around to start the year at least...

DGoold had a good article today summarizing what he sees/hears and how he thinks the final roster will look come opening day. I think he's spot on:

Starters:

C-Molina, 1B-Carpenter, 2B-Wong, SS-DeJong, 3B-Gyorko, LF-Ozuna, CF-Pham, RF-Fowler

Bench:

C-Pena, 1B/OF-Martinez, SS-Garcia, UTIL-Munoz

SP:

Martinez, Wainwright, Wacha, Mikolas, Weaver

RP:

Leone, Gregerson, Lyons, Norris, Tuivailala, Cecil, Bowman, Brebbia

9 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

DGoold had a good article today summarizing what he sees/hears and how he thinks the final roster will look come opening day. I think he's spot on:

Starters:

C-Molina, 1B-Carpenter, 2B-Wong, SS-DeJong, 3B-Gyorko, LF-Ozuna, CF-Pham, RF-Fowler

Bench:

C-Pena, 1B/OF-Martinez, SS-Garcia, UTIL-Munoz

SP:

Martinez, Wainwright, Wacha, Mikolas, Weaver

RP:

Leone, Gregerson, Lyons, Norris, Tuivailala, Cecil, Bowman, Brebbia

I'm drawing a blank here but who is Munoz replacing?

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Heard a stat yesterday that since Kelly was called up in July of last year, he received a total of 69 AB's-including this ST. That's insanity, no wonder he's rusty...

This is the right move sending him down to get everyday AB's, as they are needed.

I just hope that we don't waste this kid. He's MLB ready now. We need to either trade him this year or off-season, or actually let him take on a 50/50 split or more in 2019. I'd hate to see us waste his value...

Not surprising.  The kid needs AB, at least until the Cardinals show a willingness to sit Yadier Molian more.  Or at the very least, give him some innings at 1B.

6 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I'm drawing a blank here but who is Munoz replacing?

Looking at it, can we really afford to go into the season without a true backup CF?  I mean, Fowler would slide over to CF but I'd have to imagine they'd want a more natural backup OFer who can play CF.