The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

Not according to this...

Cardinals signed LHP Andrew Miller to a two-year, $25 million contract with a $12 million vesting option for 2021.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic has the specifics on the deal, which guarantees Miller at least $27.5 million when you include a $2.5 million buyout. The option will vest if he makes 110 appearances from 2019-20

The tweet from above Rosenthal is what I'm going off of.

@CWood21 I think I got it clarified now lol. Just listened to Jeff Passan talking on it and he said it's $25 million gauranteed if we buy out final year, the contract has built in incentives where he can earn up to $500k annually. He doesn't have to hit the innings to earn these. 

So it sounds like he is gauranteed $25 million with the buy out, but could be $26 million with the incentives.

$27.5 doesn't sound right...

Just now, kgarrett12486 said:

@CWood21 I think I got it clarified now lol. Just listened to Jeff Passan talking on it and he said it's $25 million gauranteed if we buy out final year, the contract has built in incentives where he can earn up to $500k annually. He doesn't have to hit the innings to earn these. 

So it sounds like he is gauranteed $25 million with the buy out, but could be $26 million with the incentives.

$27.5 doesn't sound right...

I looked at what Spotrac had.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/st.-louis-cardinals/andrew-miller-329/

He's got 500k for each season based on appearances and he's got a trade bonus for $1M, but he also has a NTC.

On 12/5/2018 at 5:11 PM, CWood21 said:

C: Yadier Molina ($20M)
1B: Paul Goldschmidt ($14.5M)
2B: Kolten Wong ($6.5M)
SS: Paul DeJong ($1.67M)
3B: Matt Carpenter ($14.75M)
LF: Marcel Ozuna ($13.4M*)
CF: Harrison Bader (Min)
RF: Dexter Fowler ($16.5M)

SP: Carlos Martinez ($11.7M)
SP: Miles Mikolas ($7.75M)
SP: Jack Flaherty (Min)
SP: Michael Wacha ($6.6M*)
SP: Adam Wainwright ($2M)

RP: Jordan Hicks (Min)
RP: Andre Miller ($11M)
RP: Luke Gregerson ($5M)
RP: Brett Cecil ($7M)
RP: John Brebbia (Min)
RP: Chasen Shreve ($0.9M)
RP: Dominic Leone ($1.3M*)

OF: Tyler O'Neill (Min)
UTIL: Jedd Gyorko ($8M)

That's roughly $150M right there.  Still need to find a backup catcher, and supposedly they want a LH bat to come off the bench.  Probably someone who plays up the middle.

On 12/29/2018 at 12:21 AM, holt_bruce81 said:

Jose Martinez for Alex Colome. Yay or nay? 

I personally want to keep him as a premium bench bat and insurance policy to Fowler. He’s too good of a hitter and we’re not going to get fair value.

There are going to be so many RPs still on the market in late February, I think we can steal one on the cheap.

Guy we need to move is Gyorko IMO...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

I personally want to keep him as a premium bench bat and insurance policy to Fowler. He’s too good of a hitter and we’re not going to get fair value.

There are going to be so many RPs still on the market in late February, I think we can steal one on the cheap.

Guy we need to move is Gyorko IMO...

I like these ideas. If we could get a good package back for him, I'd do it. There's no point in trading him just to trade him.

12 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I like these ideas. If we could get a good package back for him, I'd do it. There's no point in trading him just to trade him.

Right. One of Gyorko or Martinez is going to have to be moved though IMO. There just aren't going to be enough ABs for both...

With the emergence of Munoz and his versatility and Gyorko's higher cost I think he's the most expendable and would bring back more...

Right on que... 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic heard from a rival executive that the Cardinals are "less willing" to move Jose Martinez than they were previously.

Probably because the trade offers haven't been very enticing. Martinez boasts an .850 OPS over the last three seasons with St. Louis, but he is a liability defensively at both first base and in the corner outfield. That said, he's not even eligible for salary arbitration until next winter and the Cardinals probably like him as a cheap but dangerous bench bat and potential fallback option in right field in case Dexter Fowler can't rebound

On 1/3/2019 at 12:27 PM, kgarrett12486 said:

Right on que... 

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic heard from a rival executive that the Cardinals are "less willing" to move Jose Martinez than they were previously.

Probably because the trade offers haven't been very enticing. Martinez boasts an .850 OPS over the last three seasons with St. Louis, but he is a liability defensively at both first base and in the corner outfield. That said, he's not even eligible for salary arbitration until next winter and the Cardinals probably like him as a cheap but dangerous bench bat and potential fallback option in right field in case Dexter Fowler can't rebound

Honestly, not surprised.  And I'm not sure they're less willing, I think they've just resigned themselves to the fact that the offer they want isn't coming.