The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Minor league notes....

1. Jack Flaherty with a solid outing for Memphis: 6.2 ip, 5 hits, 3 runs (3 earned), 2 walks, 7 strikeouts 

2. Tyler O'Neil went 3/6 with a double and another home run. Since the trade he's played in 9 games and has collected 7 extra base hits and 14 RBIs. Batting .306 during that time. 

3. Going 2/3 today with a double, Andrew Knizner continues to hit well at the Double-A level. In 30 games in Springfield his slash line of .333/.382/.461/.843 and a 130 wRC+ is obviously very impressive. I've heard some mixed reviews on his fielding behind the plate. But it appears that he does have a good arm on him and I've read that he's a very intelligent ballplayer. Guys like this almost make me want to fork out the cash and get milb.tv. 

4. Oscar Mercado and Mags Sierra are STRUGGLING right now. Both are seeing their averages dip well below .300

5. Is Bryce Denton finally coming along? After hitting a miserable .157 in Peoria (A ball) he got sent to EST (Extended spring training) and re-assigned to the State College Spikes (low-A) and in 29 games there he has a .262 BA with a .342 on base and in his last 10 games he has a .405 batting average. 

Edited by holt_bruce81

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

What makes you think anything is going to change in the offseason?  It was wishful thinking that the Cardinals were going to find their MOTOB during the deadline, and I'm not sure who tweeted it but it came across that the position player trades pretty much cratered.  Nobody was getting dealt.

And that's the frustration I have with this FO, they're conservative almost to a fault.  I'm not asking them to give away prospects like they're candy, but we're constantly seeing this team finishing runner up on FA and we're constantly a move or two behind.  The Cardinals literally did nothing to help the big league club now or in the future at the bullpen, they sat on their hands.  And I'm not going to fault them for not moving Pham if teams weren't willing to give up much of anything of value for him, but the notion that Lynn couldn't fetch at least 2nd round DP value is crazy to me.

Like you said, it was wishful thinking that we'd be able to find a MOTO bat that would be moved at deadline. The supply simply wasn't there, as the teams still in it weren't moving them...

It's different during the off-season when ALL teams are looking into ways to further their club and that's the sole focus vs. managing on field performance at the same time. Now we still may not be able to find a true game changing MOTO type player, but I fully expect a roster makeover. We're not going to keep the glut of 2B and OF we have ready to go or on the roster. Another year we're down and out. I don't think it'll fly with fans or ownership to have that extend to year 3. That's when you start to see a dip in attendance and that gets attention real quick...

Agreed though, I really don't get not being able to move Lynn... 

With Lynn, it was obvious they valued the comp pick and the money that comes with it, more than whatever B-level prospect they were probably being offered. 

Now if they don't offer a QO to Lynn, then it's a real head scratcher. Do you guys think there's any chance a team like Houston or Boston gets desperate in August and we see a waiver deal with Lance?

41 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

With Lynn, it was obvious they valued the comp pick and the money that comes with it, more than whatever B-level prospect they were probably being offered. 

Now if they don't offer a QO to Lynn, then it's a real head scratcher. Do you guys think there's any chance a team like Houston or Boston gets desperate in August and we see a waiver deal with Lance?

0% chance IMO...

I hope we offer the QO, last report from Rosenthal said we were hesitant to do that, which is asinine...

7 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

From Ken Rosenthal...

I'm not totally sure how much I believe that the Cardinals were willing to do that, unless they thought that Piscotty was another Allen Craig...which I don't think they do.

I'm really confused by the home plate rule. Like, Wong had no where to go, the catcher clearly didn't give him a path. Why was that not at least reviewed? And I understand there's something in there where if the throw takes the catcher into the path of the base-runner than he doesn't have to leave a path...but couldn't that be argued with literally every throw to the catcher?

6 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Like you said, it was wishful thinking that we'd be able to find a MOTO bat that would be moved at deadline. The supply simply wasn't there, as the teams still in it weren't moving them...

It's different during the off-season when ALL teams are looking into ways to further their club and that's the sole focus vs. managing on field performance at the same time. Now we still may not be able to find a true game changing MOTO type player, but I fully expect a roster makeover. We're not going to keep the glut of 2B and OF we have ready to go or on the roster. Another year we're down and out. I don't think it'll fly with fans or ownership to have that extend to year 3. That's when you start to see a dip in attendance and that gets attention real quick...

Agreed though, I really don't get not being able to move Lynn... 

Realistically, what MOTO bat do you think is going to be available in the offseason?  My guess is the only real notable one is going to be Josh Donaldson.  So you're trading for 1 year of Josh Donaldson, and what exactly is he going to be worth?  He's probably not that 7+ WAR player anymore, and probably 5 WAR is probably a bit high.  But let's assume you're projecting him at 4 WAR, which is roughly $36M in value assuming you use the $9M/WAR value that rams gave us earlier.  Given that he made $17M this past season, there's a good chance he's making close to $20M if not more than that next year via arbitration.  Using FanGraph's value of prospect, Sandy Alcantara is $22M alone so you're making the swap of him plus something else relatively small for 1 year for Donaldson.

6 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I mean, I'm not sure it's that cut and dry.  There were enough reports that the Cardinals weren't real clear with their intentions with Lynn.  Were the Cardinals going to trade him, or did they need to be bowled over by an offer?  My guess is the latter.  I'd have to imagine if the Cardinals were more straight-forward about their willingness to move Lynn, I'd imagine that they would have had a deal done.

And I wouldn't count on a waiver-deal.  First off, any team that's in the playoff hunt behind those two would and should claim him instantly.  Secondly, we'd get even less than we did at the deadline because they get him for less time.  He's going to be a Cardinal through the rest of the season.  After that...

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'm not sure it's that cut and dry.  There were enough reports that the Cardinals weren't real clear with their intentions with Lynn.  Were the Cardinals going to trade him, or did they need to be bowled over by an offer?  My guess is the latter.  I'd have to imagine if the Cardinals were more straight-forward about their willingness to move Lynn, I'd imagine that they would have had a deal done.

And I wouldn't count on a waiver-deal.  First off, any team that's in the playoff hunt behind those two would and should claim him instantly.  Secondly, we'd get even less than we did at the deadline because they get him for less time.  He's going to be a Cardinal through the rest of the season.  After that...

I mean maybe, but I think teams knew the Cards were willing to deal Lynn, just sounds like they couldn't find a match in terms of value. Girsch kind of hinted on the pre-game show that they were offered a few mediocre prospects...