The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Any guesses what the Mariners are looking for thus deadline? I’ve seen a lot of people mention them as trade partners. 

I originally assumed they would be looking at Edman, he can slot into alot of places for him. But if we are really trying to get Logan Gilbert, that doesnt really match up (honestly nothing other than Arenado/Goldy would return that alone). But would a Edman/Jack package do that? Still probably no

Honestly, if we do trade with them, its likely for one or two if their Pitching prospects a rung lower than Gilbert, which wouldnt be awful

Edited by StLunatic88

29 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I originally assumed they would be looking at Edman, he can slot into alot of places for him. But if we are really trying to get Logan Gilbert, that doesnt really match up (honestly nothing other than Arenado/Goldy would return that alone). But would a Edman/Jack package do that? Still probably no

Honestly, if we do trade with them, its likely for one or two if their Pitching prospects a rung lower than Gilbert, which wouldnt be awful

Kirby is obviously off-limits to them and rightfully so. Gilbert is probably the target to start, but it's going to take a lot. You're probably looking at a Gorman or Nootbar headliner +. 

The next tier is the Bryce Miller and Bryan Woo. There both MLB ready (actually both have now pitched this season for them). Still gonna cost a lot given their prospect status and control, but not quite the level of Gilbert. 

I honestly don't think the Mariners are going in on this season though, so I think the FA's to be (Flaherty, Monty, etc.) don't really make sense for them. I think the Cards and Mariners actually match-up better for an off-season deal than a deadline deadline deal IMO.

Apparently the Rays have been extensively scouting Flaherty and Monty. They're a deadline fit IMO. Although, I'm not convinced they don't just say 'eff it' and go for Ohtani given the climate surronding that team outside the lines.  

48 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Apparently the Rays have been extensively scouting Flaherty and Monty. They're a deadline fit IMO. Although, I'm not convinced they don't just say 'eff it' and go for Ohtani given the climate surronding that team outside the lines.  

I will be SHOCKED if Ohtani is traded. If you do that, you are basically saying that you are already waiving the white flag on resigning him. 

Its not a great look if you dont resign him, but if you are the GM that trades him away, you may as well be signing your walking papers as well

34 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

I will be SHOCKED if Ohtani is traded. If you do that, you are basically saying that you are already waiving the white flag on resigning him. 

Its not a great look if you dont resign him, but if you are the GM that trades him away, you may as well be signing your walking papers as well

Honestly, it's the worst position to be in. It'a catch-22...

You're talking about trading for (4) top 100 prospects + more, which could potentially set your club up for a long time, but on the other side trading the face of baseball, revenue stream, etc. and risking alienating some of your fanbase. 

On the other hand, you don't trade him and can't resign him, you loose arguably the best player in the history of the sport for a comp pick. That's a tough sell to the other side of that fanbase.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I don't see any reason why the Mariners would move Gilbert to begin with.  He's their best SP and he's cost-controlled for the foreseeable future.  At a bare minimum, I think it starts with Lars Nootbarr and works from there.

25 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see any reason why the Mariners would move Gilbert to begin with.  He's their best SP and he's cost-controlled for the foreseeable future.  At a bare minimum, I think it starts with Lars Nootbarr and works from there.

I agree with you, but thats what the report that went around all the Rumor Sites

If we do make a move with the Mariners for this season (becoming more doubtful by the day) I agree it would probably be for a controllable Bat that can help right now (Edman, Nootbaar, Donovan) and one of our Free Agent Starters, for at best Bryan Woo. Who for the record, I think would be about the best we could do at this deadline, even though you probably have to shut him down after one or two more starts this year, its a play for 2024 and beyond

Edited by StLunatic88

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

I agree with you, but thats what the report that went around all the Rumor Sites

If we do make a move with the Mariners for this season (becoming more doubtful by the day) I agree it would probably be for a controllable Bat that can help right now (Edman, Nootbaar, Donovan) and one of our Free Agent Starters, for at best Bryan Woo. Who for the record, I think would be about the best we could do at this deadline, even though you probably have to shut him down after one or two more starts this year, its a play for 2024 and beyond

If you're the Mariners, there's no reason to move them (him or Kirby) for middling bats.  You're either getting premier prospect or you're getting a really good bat in return.

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you're the Mariners, there's no reason to move them (him or Kirby) for middling bats.  You're either getting premier prospect or you're getting a really good bat in return.

For someone who constantly harps on Innings, it’s surprising you value Woo that high

19 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They have so much depth at SP and they desperately need impact MLB ready bats, especially on the infield. I think that's the only reason they consider moving him. 

They have their ace in Castillo (who is their best pitcher and a legit #1), they have (2) young cost controlled established MLB starters who have shown ability to be a #2-3 in a loaded rotation in Kirby and Gilbert. They have a guy in Robbie Ray, who when healthy is probably a #2-3 type now and that contract dicates they need him to be such after he's back. They have Bryce Miller and Bryan Woo who are MLB ready and project to be quality rotation guys (anywhere from #2- #4 types) as well. They have a hold over in Marco Gonzales, who is probably the #5 type in this rotation, but still a quality back-end starter. Then you've got (2) SP prospects knocking on the big league door in Hancock and Dollard and figure to be part of their future. 

They're essentially seeking what we are, just in that they need that young cost controlled player to be an everday player and legit bat. For them to do that, they're going to have to trade from that surplus. Castillo is a no-go and then teams are gonna shift to Kirby and Gilbert. Apparently they've told teams Kirby is an untouchable as well. If they want the top of the top from another team, that is gonna be the guy to move for them. otherwise, if they're dealing a Miller or Woo, they're pobably taking a step down in terms of return.