The STL Cardinals Thread - Welcome to STL JJ!

CWood21

Just now, holt_bruce81 said:

Same here...I never thought Stanton would decline a trade to STL in the first place....

I mean, if his option was to stay in Miami with a stripped down roster or St. Louis, the option is pretty easy.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that "ultimatum" that Miami made to him seems to imply that the Marlins have a preferred trade partner in place.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if his option was to stay in Miami with a stripped down roster or St. Louis, the option is pretty easy.  Maybe I'm reading too much into it, but that "ultimatum" that Miami made to him seems to imply that the Marlins have a preferred trade partner in place.

Sounds like it...and maybe Stanton is holding out for the Dodgers to get in on the action. But it's anyones guess at this point. 

32 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Sounds like it...and maybe Stanton is holding out for the Dodgers to get in on the action. But it's anyones guess at this point. 

No doubt.  Ready for some resolution tbh.  I think his preference is the Dodgers, but I'm not sure how interested in the Dodgers are.

Did you read Rick Hummel's chat? some pretty interesting stuff...

1. Said Reyes was most likely off the table. 

2. reconfirmed what Derrick Goold had said in a previous chat, the Cards have interest in Brandon Morrow. (Goold had said before the Cardinals had tried to get Morrow two other times before last season) 

3. If Stanton deal falls through, The cards or most likely to turn their attention to the other two Miami outfielders (Yelich and Ozuna)

4. Cardinals will sign a SP before the year ends. (Said there was some interest in Tyler Chatwood)

5. Doesn't think a trade for Donaldson is in the Cards 

6. Dodgers would have to clear a bunch of payroll in order to fit Stanton on that team 

7. He hinted at a Waino move to the pen if Waino is healthy and struggles out of the gate. (I don't believe that)

8. Sounded like he didn't think we'd have much interest in the KC guys (Hosmer and Moustakes). 

9. Threw out Jordan Hicks' name when asked what pitcher in the organization has the biggest potential. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

1. Said Reyes was most likely off the table. 

2. reconfirmed what Derrick Goold had said in a previous chat, the Cards have interest in Brandon Morrow. (Goold had said before the Cardinals had tried to get Morrow two other times before last season) 

3. If Stanton deal falls through, The cards or most likely to turn their attention to the other two Miami outfielders (Yelich and Ozuna)

4. Cardinals will sign a SP before the year ends. (Said there was some interest in Tyler Chatwood)

5. Doesn't think a trade for Donaldson is in the Cards 

6. Dodgers would have to clear a bunch of payroll in order to fit Stanton on that team 

7. He hinted at a Waino move to the pen if Waino is healthy and struggles out of the gate. (I don't believe that)

8. Sounded like he didn't think we'd have much interest in the KC guys (Hosmer and Moustakes). 

9. Threw out Jordan Hicks' name when asked what pitcher in the organization has the biggest potential. 

All pretty good news, other than the Donaldson thing. But he would probably cost a ton.

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

No doubt.  Ready for some resolution tbh.  I think his preference is the Dodgers, but I'm not sure how interested in the Dodgers are.

Or maybe not lol...

Jon Morosi of MLB Network notes that the Marlins have not set any sort of deadline for "last, best offers" in the Giancarlo Stanton trade talks.

Morosi says there is "no sign they plan to do so" in advance of the Winter Meetings, either. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Nothing real crazy in that chat.

As I've said before, the Cardinals don't really have any motivation to move Alex Reyes unless they're concerned about his long-term health.  And given the track record of pitchers coming off TJS, I'm not sure that concern is there.  And the Cardinals wouldn't be likely to get full value on Reyes, so they're going to hold onto him IMO.

Not real shocking that the Cardinals want Morrow, honestly I'd be surprised if he wasn't a Cardinal come April.  Dave Cameron projects him at 2 years, $22M where as Tim Dierkes of MLBTR projects him at 3 years, $24M.  Spotrac projects him at 2 years, $13M.  I think Tim Dierkes is probably the closest to what he's going to get.  I'm not sure a team is going to hand him a big contract given his health concerns, but he slots in really well as an 8th inning guy.

I don't think the Cardinals would pony up for Yelich or Ozuna, but I'm probably wrong.

I'm not sure the SP is coming at least not like I'd like to see.  Right now, the rotation is Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver, and Jack Flaherty.  Behind Martinez, that's a LOT of question marks.  Both Waino and Wacha come with significant health concerns, and someone speculated that if Waino struggled with injuries they could shift him into the bullpen.  Early returns on Luke Weaver were promising, but he's still young and probably gonna have his bumps in the road.  Flaherty had a bit of a struggle in his early debut with the Cardinals, and they could opt to trade him.  I don't think the Cardinals will be in on Arrieta, but I think they could be a darkhorse on Yu Darvish if the contract isn't too long.  I don't think they'd go more than 6 years for a FA, and Mo's comments early in the year suggested they'd probably prefer to trade for a SP than sign one.

Agreed about Donaldson not likely to happen.  The Jays seem to be committed to put a winning product on the field, so I don't anticipate them moving Donaldson.  I think they might be more willing to move him at the deadline if they fall out of contention.  No real issues with passing on Hosmer or Moose either.  Both seem to have really weird red flags.

As for Jordan Hicks, I think he's the 3rd most valuable SP prospect in the organization.  Obviously, Flaherty is rated higher but I think the Cardinals' FO is significantly higher on Hicks than they are on Flaherty.  I'd be willing to bet that Hicks is close to untouchable.

2 hours ago, kgarrett12486 said:

Or maybe not lol...

Not really buying into it.  At this point, the Marlins don't really stand to gain anything from dragging this on into late December, early January.  At some point, the teams interested in Stanton will go look at Plan B (J.D. Martinez, etc.) and that could be one less suitor for Stanton.  To me, this along with the "ultimatum" about Stanton needing to accept a deal unless he wanted to play with a stripped down Mariners team is the Marlins trying to regain some leverage.

Craig Misch was on radio yesterday and gave the latest on Stanton. I think he's the most plugged in of any of the media outlet members on the situation:

-He thinks the Cards have the most to offer, but puts Giants as the front-runner because he believes they are 'all in' no matter what the cost to them.

-Has on good authority that the Giants are willing to take on the whole contract.

-Stanton said he would not waive his NTC to come to St. Louis this past July. It is believed he's more likely to accept a trade here now.

- The only player he knows the Cardinals offered was Alcantara...there are likely more

-Reyes was NOT offered

His speculation is that they love the deal from the Cardinals, but are frustrated that they can't get the deal done for the players on the table...that's why this story has come out

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

His speculation is that they love the deal from the Cardinals, but are frustrated that they can't get the deal done for the players on the table...that's why this story has come out

Unfortunately, not a whole lot of new information coming out.  To me, there's little doubt the Cardinals have the most attractive offer out there but I think Stanton is hoping the Dodgers will get involved, which seems unlikely.  We've now heard multiple reports that pretty much have Boston on the outside looking in at the Stanton market, which is good for us. 

55 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Unfortunately, not a whole lot of new information coming out.  To me, there's little doubt the Cardinals have the most attractive offer out there but I think Stanton is hoping the Dodgers will get involved, which seems unlikely.  We've now heard multiple reports that pretty much have Boston on the outside looking in at the Stanton market, which is good for us. 

All accounts are pretty consistent in stating the Dodgers interest is minimal at best and that they feel he's a pure luxury, not a need. I see them focusing on other areas...

I think two biggest barriers (outside of Stanton simply not waiving his NTC, which seems less likely now he wouldn't, given the chance to play for a contender) are:

1] MIami simply cares more about a full salary dump, meaning the entire contract off the books than anything they get back prospect/player wise. In that scenario, I simply don't see us matching the Giants who seem willing to eat the whole deal...

2] At the winter meetings, an unknown 3rd party team (not mentioned before) comes out of nowhere and lands him. Seems like this is common for these headliners... 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, kgarrett12486 said:

All accounts are pretty consistent in stating the Dodgers interest is minimal at best and that they feel he's a pure luxury, not a need. I see them focusing on other areas...

I think two biggest barriers (outside of Stanton simply not waiving his NTC, which seems less likely now he wouldn't, given the chance to play for a contender) are:

1] MIami simply cares more about a full salary dump, meaning the entire contract off the books than anything they get back prospect/player wise. In that scenario, I simply don't see us matching the Giants who seem willing to eat the whole deal...

2] At the winter meetings, an unknown 3rd party team (not mentioned before) comes out of nowhere and lands him. Seems like this is common for these headliners... 

Yeah, I don't anticipate them being real contenders on Stanton.  Last I heard, the Dodgers would need to dump some salary if they're going to be players on Stanton.  Adrian Gonzalez's contract expires at the end of the year, but he was really, really bad this past season.  Scott Kazmir and Brandon McCarthy are as well, so it wouldn't be impossible to shed those two.  Would probably have to eat some salary.  Either way, I don't see the Dodgers being big players.

As for the salary, I think the Cardinals want the Marlins to eat money but I don't think it's a deal breaker.  But I don't think they're giving up Alcantara if they're eating the entire salary.  I'd anticipate they want the Marlins to eat ~$30M or so.  I'm still not sure where this 3rd party is coming from.  There's only a handful of teams who have the financial capability of acquiring Stanton's contract.