UK’s Mock

2 straight years of not picking until the 60s has this draft as the least interesting to me on 20 years. 

In an attempt to get more hyped for it, I have done a couple (dozen?) mocks on PFF and draftnetwork. Here is my favorite result (as well as some other guys I like in each round that seem to be there at least 40% of the time)

3.68: OC Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin. Top notch OC. We cannot rely on LC3 again this season as Russ doesn’t do well with pressure in his face. 

3.69: DL Adetomiwas Adebawore, Northwestern: aggressive monster of a man. Big penetrator at 5T in odd fronts who kicks in to DT in even fronts. 

Other players I like in the 3rd:

OC: Luke Wypler OSU. I’d be happy with Wypler but prefer Tippmann.

RT: Jaelyn Duncan, MD: dancing bear of a man. Sloppy feet and hand placement but I don’t see anything about him that says he CANT he just doesn’t. Not sure if it’s a mental thing or a coaching thing but definitely a gamble I’d take 

TE: Sam Laporta, Iowa: poor man’s Jason Witten. Not a seam stretcher, but slippery WR who finds the open spot 1 yard beyond the sticks 

S: Christopher Smith II, UGA. Such a smart player. The QB of that amazing D. Does everything really well has the ability to play in the box, deep zone, or blitz. Would continue to long line of great bronco safetys 

Edge: Isaiah Folksey, ND: has the measurables and production (most sacks in ND history) but there’s nothing elite about him. He’s very good all around and will only get better. 

Tuli Tuipulotu, USC: Probably a better fit as a 4-3 strong side end, but I’d be interested to see if he can add and sustain 15 lbs and fill that Malik Jackson role.

CB: DJ Turner, Mich: if he were 3 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier he’d be a 1st round pick. As is someone is going to get a player with CHJ type skills in the 3rd. 

4.108: RB Chase Brown, Ill: speedy back who can catch out of the backfield. Sean seems to have one on all of his teams. 

Other players I like in the 4th:

OC: Jarrett Patterson, ND. If we miss out on tippmann and Wypler, Patterson has the makings of a solid starter for a long time. 

ILB: Noah Sewell, Ore: Elite going forward (run support and blitzing) only average in pass pro. 20 years ago he’s a 1st round pick. Today he drops to late day 2/early day 3. 

Henry To’oto’o, Ala: kind of the opposite of Sewell. Super instinctive, QB of the defense who excels in space but gets caught in the trash at the LOS.

5.139: WR Jonathan Mingo, Ole Miss: big receiver who just makes plays. Not super fast but makes quick cuts. Reminds me of Brandon Marshall

6.195: FB Hunter Luepke, ND St: blocks, runs, catches the ball, key STer. More Andy Jonovich than kyle juszczyk, but would immediately be a pro bowl type FB. 

other players I’d like in the 6th:

K: would love to see us Grab either Moody (Mich) or Mavis (Mizzou) as a kicker to challenge in camp.

OC: Also I’m not sure why both sites are so down on ND OC Jarrett Patterson but on both sites I see him going as high as 4 but still there in the 6th not infrequently. As I said above I’d take him in the 4th if we don’t get a center before hand but even if we do nab one his versatility to play all 3 IOL spots would make me want to take a flyer on him if he’s still there in the 6th

20 hours ago, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

2 straight years of not picking until the 60s has this draft as the least interesting to me on 20 years. 

In an attempt to get more hyped for it, I have done a couple (dozen?) mocks on PFF and draftnetwork. Here is my favorite result (as well as some other guys I like in each round that seem to be there at least 40% of the time)

3.68: OC Joe Tippmann, Wisconsin. Top notch OC. We cannot rely on LC3 again this season as Russ doesn’t do well with pressure in his face. 

3.69: DL Adetomiwas Adebawore, Northwestern: aggressive monster of a man. Big penetrator at 5T in odd fronts who kicks in to DT in even fronts. 

Other players I like in the 3rd:

OC: Luke Wypler OSU. I’d be happy with Wypler but prefer Tippmann.

RT: Jaelyn Duncan, MD: dancing bear of a man. Sloppy feet and hand placement but I don’t see anything about him that says he CANT he just doesn’t. Not sure if it’s a mental thing or a coaching thing but definitely a gamble I’d take 

TE: Sam Laporta, Iowa: poor man’s Jason Witten. Not a seam stretcher, but slippery WR who finds the open spot 1 yard beyond the sticks 

S: Christopher Smith II, UGA. Such a smart player. The QB of that amazing D. Does everything really well has the ability to play in the box, deep zone, or blitz. Would continue to long line of great bronco safetys 

Edge: Isaiah Folksey, ND: has the measurables and production (most sacks in ND history) but there’s nothing elite about him. He’s very good all around and will only get better. 

Tuli Tuipulotu, USC: Probably a better fit as a 4-3 strong side end, but I’d be interested to see if he can add and sustain 15 lbs and fill that Malik Jackson role.

CB: DJ Turner, Mich: if he were 3 inches taller and 25 lbs heavier he’d be a 1st round pick. As is someone is going to get a player with CHJ type skills in the 3rd. 

4.108: RB Chase Brown, Ill: speedy back who can catch out of the backfield. Sean seems to have one on all of his teams. 

Other players I like in the 4th:

OC: Jarrett Patterson, ND. If we miss out on tippmann and Wypler, Patterson has the makings of a solid starter for a long time. 

ILB: Noah Sewell, Ore: Elite going forward (run support and blitzing) only average in pass pro. 20 years ago he’s a 1st round pick. Today he drops to late day 2/early day 3. 

Henry To’oto’o, Ala: kind of the opposite of Sewell. Super instinctive, QB of the defense who excels in space but gets caught in the trash at the LOS.

5.139: WR Jonathan Mingo, Ole Miss: big receiver who just makes plays. Not super fast but makes quick cuts. Reminds me of Brandon Marshall

6.195: FB Hunter Luepke, ND St: blocks, runs, catches the ball, key STer. More Andy Jonovich than kyle juszczyk, but would immediately be a pro bowl type FB. 

other players I’d like in the 6th:

K: would love to see us Grab either Moody (Mich) or Mavis (Mizzou) as a kicker to challenge in camp.

OC: Also I’m not sure why both sites are so down on ND OC Jarrett Patterson but on both sites I see him going as high as 4 but still there in the 6th not infrequently. As I said above I’d take him in the 4th if we don’t get a center before hand but even if we do nab one his versatility to play all 3 IOL spots would make me want to take a flyer on him if he’s still there in the 6th

I really like the emphasis on the OC and DL early. I really like Cush as a young man. What a great attitude and work ethic. He just can't man the position and our OL is no better than our Center. 

On 4/14/2023 at 3:57 PM, AKRNA said:

I really like the emphasis on the OC and DL early. I really like Cush as a young man. What a great attitude and work ethic. He just can't man the position and our OL is no better than our Center. 

I’ve always been a fan of the build from the inside out mentality. I think Payton does as well

On 4/15/2023 at 3:20 PM, broncos_fan _from _uk said:

I’ve always been a fan of the build from the inside out mentality. I think Payton does as well

Couldn't agree more. Much easier for a QB to deal with outside pressure than constant pressure in the A gaps. No QB can deal with that. At least we won't have to watch Risner pushed into the pocket this year.

Edited by AKRNA

If those were our first two picks I would do backflips. I also like Tippman a shade more than Wypler, but some of the beat guys have said Wypler could absolutely be in play R3.

Adebawore is an absolute mammoth. I've naturally watched a ton of these B1G guys. I'd be thrilled with him. 

I agree with you that RB is going to be a pick for us with one of our first 3 picks. Just not sure what order. Perine is a good pass catching back, but we need a faster gamebreaker type of back and I expect we try to find one in the draft. 

As an aside about Jaelyn Duncan (Go Terps!) - with proper coaching, he could be tremendous. He's a great athlete and he's quite strong. Maryland, while having a good offensive mind in Mike Locksley, has not always had great OL coaching, and beyond that, we've run some schemes that I think make our OL look worse than it is. Duncan is the kind of player that just needs the right coaching to thrive and we have the type of coach who loves athletic, coachable OTs.

Consensus rankings have Adebawore in the 40’s, so that fall would be truly shocking. Generally, the only guys who fall like that are ones who don’t ace the pre-draft process, which is the opposite of Adebawore’s story. Gervon Dexter is my personal favourite DL in that range. Your description of Jaelyn Duncan is also very apt for this guy. All the physical tools, a bunch of flashes, just not enough consistency in technique that you wanna see in a top 50 pick.

Tippman would be great, although I wonder if a 6’6” centre is maybe not ideal for a short QB. If Steve Avila fell to our picks, I’d be all over that guy.

• Like 1