Brock Purdy franchise QB?

49erurtaza

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Considering how little we saw of Jimmy before that ACL disaster, I am not certain that is correct. He was lights out in those 5 games he first started (was it 2017?), but we never saw anything like that afterward.  

I'll be honest.....I was convinced that Jimmy was going to be Tony Romo in those early games. He really looked the part 

• Like 3

Just now, Forge said:

I'll be honest.....I was convinced that Jimmy was going to be Tony Romo in those early games. He really looked the part 

Yea, he fooled us all lol.

Though those ints in the middle of the field were definitely telling of the future, his pocket presence and off schedule ability just disappeared the moment the entire offense was in play.

It was like the more scaled back the offense was, the less thinking and better he was, instinctively, from the pocket.

Idk...the regression was a weird turn of events for someone who looked so sharp from the onset.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Though those ints in the middle of the field were definitely telling of the future, his pocket presence and off schedule ability just disappeared the moment the entire offense was in play.

It was like the more scaled back the offense was, the less thinking and better he was, instinctively, from the pocket.

Idk...the regression was a weird turn of events for someone who looked so sharp from the onset.

We also tailored the offense more to Jimmy in my memory. Spread the field more with 4 WRs; threw more quick game in and threw it more just in general. Part of that was because that team was so bad that it was incapable of getting ahead and holding leads and playing the sort of ball we now strongly associate with Kyle's preferences. I think young Jimmy G would have really jammed even better with a lot of other offenses. Like, the constant attacking of the middle of the field is definitely a place where Jimmy and Kyle meshed well, but most everything else did not. Kyle really wants to be in bigger, more versatile formations and run the ball more with throwing coming to really punish run defenses. I think he'd love to attack even further down the field more often if he had a guy that could do it. And Jimmy proved that not only did he not want to attack further down the field, he also really wanted to be out from under center where he could see the whole defense.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

What happened to this guy? 

Top 30 Dante Pettis GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

I mean, he turned into this guy 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Considering how little we saw of Jimmy before that ACL disaster, I am not certain that is correct. He was lights out in those 5 games he first started (was it 2017?), but we never saw anything like that afterward.  

But you're certain of it after 8 games of Brock? Interesting.....

46 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Brock has thrown further down field more often--percentage-wise--than Jimmy. Also throws to the sideline. Jimmy didn't like doing either one. But hey, you do you. 

Through 8 games. I think Brock is fine. He isn't special. he will not be more than what was here before. People are sold on him and are overstating his talent. He can win a lot of games with this team. I don't believe they will win the one that matters though unless everything goes right for them. That is where the elite skilled QBs come into play.

7 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Through 8 games. I think Brock is fine. He isn't special. he will not be more than what was here before. People are sold on him and are overstating his talent. He can win a lot of games with this team. I don't believe they will win the one that matters though unless everything goes right for them. That is where the elite skilled QBs come into play.

He pulled off stuff no QB has here since 2017. I stick with him, thanks. I am willing to see how far he can take us. If Lance takes the starting job from him, fantastic! Until then, I ride with Purdy.

53 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

He pulled off stuff no QB has here since 2017. I stick with him, thanks. I am willing to see how far he can take us. If Lance takes the starting job from him, fantastic! Until then, I ride with Purdy.

I guess I would ask what it was that he pulled off? He lost in the NFC title game just like the guy before him. The offense took off when CMC was added. Not when Brock started. The scoring did go up. He was very good in the red zone, but JG was playing well prior to the injury too. It isn't like they went further with Brock. They ended up in the same spot, so crowning him as something that he has yet to prove he is is exactly the behavior that got us into the JG mess.

1 hour ago, clarkfn2284 said:

I guess I would ask what it was that he pulled off? He lost in the NFC title game just like the guy before him. The offense took off when CMC was added. Not when Brock started. The scoring did go up. He was very good in the red zone, but JG was playing well prior to the injury too. It isn't like they went further with Brock. They ended up in the same spot, so crowning him as something that he has yet to prove he is is exactly the behavior that got us into the JG mess.

He was a rookie 7th round pick who went 5-0 as a starter & won two playoff games.

I think you need give him a little more credit than "we ended up in the same spot". 

Who knows what would have happened had he not gotten hurt in the first offensive series of the NFCCG.

I'm not ready to crown him just yet but if his 'floor' is Jimmy G's 'ceiling', I think he and we will be ok.

Hard not to imagine a rookie QB getting better and growing as a professional. 

Don't know just when and where he plateaus, but if he's the equivalent to Jimmy as a rookie, I'd say his play and hopefully our success can't go anywhere but up.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Brock has thrown further down field more often--percentage-wise--than Jimmy. Also throws to the sideline. Jimmy didn't like doing either one. But hey, you do you. 

Just to kind of go back to show how different Jimmy was pre / post ACL: 

Before the ACL,  Jimmy's average depth of target was like 9.5 for those 8 games.  10.5% of his passes those first 8 games / 2 years went 20+ yards down the field (28 of 267).  

Purdy, by comparison, threw less than 8% of his passes 20 yards down field last year (7.6%) with an adot of 7.0 

After the ACL, jimmy's pass percentage of attempts traveling 20 yards: 6.5%, 7.1%, 7.5%, 9.1%. 

So he was slowly trending upward, which was nice, but still. That's a much different QB. His ADOT went from 9.5 to 6.7, 6.5, 7.8, 7.3. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He was a rookie 7th round pick who went 5-0 as a starter & won two playoff games.

I think you need give him a little more credit than "we ended up in the same spot". 

Who knows what would have happened had he not gotten hurt in the first offensive series of the NFCCG.

I'm not ready to crown him just yet but if his 'floor' is Jimmy G's 'ceiling', I think he and we will be ok.

Hard not to imagine a rookie QB getting better and growing as a professional. 

Don't know just when and where he plateaus, but if he's the equivalent to Jimmy as a rookie, I'd say his play and hopefully our success can't go anywhere but up.

Right now it's actually kind of scary how similar he and Jimmy in terms of some production data and modeling. I have no problem with Jimmy on a 7th round rookie contract. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Um, he had ONE drive in the NFC Championship game where he could actually throw. 

You seem to have an axe to grind against anyone who you perceive as "crowning" Purdy. I am sorry you feel that way. I am excited about him, so I am biased. You appear to be biased against him. I see no point in continuing to argue or debate. 

"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still." 

• Like 1