12th pick- Jahmyr Gibbs, RB Alabama

Louis Friend

I think a lot of draft pundits in the media pumped "position of value" concept and have taken it a little too far.  If you listen to them talk sometimes, the only positions that matter are QB, LT and Edge.  They love the phrase "you can get "fill-in-the blank" player later in the draft.  A lot of defenses leave the area in the middle of the field 6-10 yards off the line of scrimmage wide-open so that they can flood the secondary.  When a player like Jahmyr Gibbs finds that space in the passing game he is going to rip off large gains.  If teams respond by bringing a DB into the box, it opens up more space in the secondary for other receivers for them to make large gains.  His impact in the running game is similar because teams will probably bring their safeties in the box to keep Jahmyr Gibbs contained.  

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

One thing that I hadn't considered but might interesting to watch:  Do the Lions see or plan on using Jahmyr Gibbs as more of a WR than RB?  It seems like he could be a faster version of Deebo Samuel.

Yes, they’ve mentioned him as a slot receiver and a CMC type player ad nuaseum. I think Ben Johnson will have a field day finding ways to use him. Which is also why I think Mohamed Ibrahim has a good chance to make the team. Lions will want another quick runner out of the backfield as depth.

• Like 1

Just now, Superduperman said:

Watching Gibbs' highlights, I'm impressed by the way he changes speeds, when he's out in space he has this way of powering down the burners a little bit and looking at what's happening around him, then he turns them on again and forget it.

I like how he fights through tackles and doesn’t shy from contact. That will be refreshing. No more laterally running for no gain.