12th pick- Jahmyr Gibbs, RB Alabama

Louis Friend

3 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Would we get a 3rd if he walked in free agency as a comp pick for next year? I know there are variables to that, but I don't really follow all the rules on comp picks.

Yeah I struggle a bit with the comp rules but given he likely wouldn’t have a ton of production in 23 or sign a large contract when he left I doubt comp be high

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

Holmes addressed this in his media session and to me, it made it sound like Swift is out. He said about Swift "nothing changes he's a Lion, for now".

I feel like Swift is how we're going to get a 4th and maybe something in 2024. 

19 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

Yeah, I feel the same way. Would we get a 3rd if he walked in free agency as a comp pick for next year? I know there are variables to that, but I don't really follow all the rules on comp picks.

I doubt D'Andre Swift would get a contract that would generate a 3rd round compensatory pick.  Given his durability issues and his inconsistency when he is healthy, I suspect we would get a conditional late-round pick in a trade.  Getting him out of the locker room might be addition by subtraction.

Edited by Just Want A Title
  • Like 2

Did not want a RB but if you are taking one this was the one I think is best fit.

with Jameson out I bet he's in slot a lot. 

I like the player and I like the fit for the offense. Just not sure if it was a need but Swift is on last year of contract. So it makes sense to get a kid in and a year under belt so next year he's just ready for NFL level from snap one of the season when Swift gone

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

Gibbs has the homerun ability i've wanted for this team for a few years now.  I don't think Swift really has that.  Again it's the value but whatever he's on our team and I think he will turn into a fan favorite pretty quick. 

Swift absolutely has that when he's healthy. Maybe Gibbs has more, especially in the passing game. Maybe he's more consistent. Those are the hopes anyway. 

14 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

Swift absolutely has that when he's healthy. Maybe Gibbs has more, especially in the passing game. Maybe he's more consistent. Those are the hopes anyway. 

He has that when he's healthy and also motivated. Maybe the team has looked at how much of a difficult time they've had in getting him to fight for extra yards, etc. 

Staley is no longer here to try and push him to take that next step.

• Like 1

I know that this pick has gotten a lot of criticism, but I think it'll be one people look back on in a few years and say, "Yeah, that pick was fine." It's a combination of Gibbs being a HB and people not expecting him to go that high. But my take on him is that the Lions just got themselves a slashing one-cut runner with 4.3 speed and WR-like receiving ability. Swift is a talented guy, but he can't stay healthy. Gibbs is an offensive weapon. Considering Goff's penchant for finding the HB and the Lions OL, I think he's going to be very productive.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Superduperman said:

I think Swift was more of a Quick shifty back (I think he ran a 4.5)  Gibbs ran in the 4.3s.  I don't know if swift was a "homerun" hitter but he was fast just not elite fast.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

He has that when he's healthy and also motivated. Maybe the team has looked at how much of a difficult time they've had in getting him to fight for extra yards, etc. 

Staley is no longer here to try and push him to take that next step.

The most important part is motivated.  He just doesn't seem to be that motivated at all.

6 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

The most important part is motivated.  He just doesn't seem to be that motivated at all.

There's just something missing in him - he doesn't have that drive and heart to fight for the extra yards. Staley has been pretty vocal on this for some time. At some point they had to realize, while he's a good player, he just wasn't going to be who they hoped he could be and are moving on. 

• Like 1