How'd the North Do?

vike daddy

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

If you could have any of the drafts, what order are they in for you? Just straight up ranked?

Weighting what they had to work with,

Lions
Bears

Vikings

Packers

Edit - if we include Hockenson for the 2nd rounder I probably move the Vikings to tied with Detroit.

Edited by JDBrocks

9 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Weighting what they had to work with,

Lions
Bears

Vikings

Packers

Edit - if we include Hockenson for the 2nd rounder I probably move the Vikings to tied with Detroit.

This is a draft thread, about how each team did in the draft? Putting aside what they had to work with, which draft do you like? Or did I misunderstand the OP? Because clearly, my post was about the drafts. Unsure how that isn't clear?

30 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

This is a draft thread, about how each team did in the draft? Putting aside what they had to work with, which draft do you like? Or did I misunderstand the OP? Because clearly, my post was about the drafts. Unsure how that isn't clear?

So trading draft capital isn’t part of the draft?

Are you actually asking which group of players drafted this weekend I like best? 

I’m basing my comments on what the teams did with their draft capital and the players available when they used it. 

obviously I would rather have 4 picks in the top 45 like the lions if we’re just talking about prospects. Not really fair to compare that to pick 23. The context of who was there and how they used their draft capital matters. I would rather have a pro bowl TE with my 2nd round pick than any of the players that the rest of the north drafted in the 2nd.

how do you put aside available draft capital when evaluating a draft class?

Edited by JDBrocks

35 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

I think you are in the wrong thread.  Or quoting the wrong person.  

Chicago Bears, A-

Draft picks

Tennessee OT Darnell Wright (No. 10 overall)

Florida DT Gervon Dexter Sr. (No. 53)

Miami CB Tyrique Stevenson (No. 56)

South Carolina DT Zacch Pickens (No. 64)

Texas RB Roschon Johnson (No. 115)

Cincinnati WR Tyler Scott (No. 133)

Oregon LB Noah Sewell (No. 148)

Minnesota CB Terell Smith (No. 165)

Kennesaw State DT Travis Bell (No. 218)

Stanford S Kendall Williamson (No. 258)

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: Chicago received a bounty from the Panthers for the No. 1 pick, then traded down one spot in the first round while still getting the lineman it needed in Wright. Dexter and Pickens bolster the defensive line when on their game and Stevenson could start as a rookie. The value of trading a second-rounder for receiver Chase Claypool is to be determined.

Johnson looks like a power back but can avoid defenders as well as run through their tackle attempts. Scott’s agility and burst after the catch made him a nice fourth-round find. Sewell is a much better football player than his fifth-round status might indicate. Smith has the athleticism and cover skills to contribute as a rookie. 

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-final-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Detroit Lions, C+

Draft picks

Alabama RB Jahmyr Gibbs (No. 12 overall)

Iowa LB Jack Campbell (No. 18)

Iowa TE Sam LaPorta (No. 34)

Alabama DB Brian Branch (No. 45)

Tennessee QB Hendon Hooker (No. 68)

Western Kentucky DT Brodric Martin (No. 96)

William & Mary OG Colby Sorsdal (No. 152)

North Carolina WR Antoine Green (No. 219)

Day 1 grade: C-
Day 2 grade: B+
Day 3 grade: B

Analysis: The Lions made two surprising picks in the first round, though Gibbs can be explosive and Campbell will be an immediate contributor on defense. Picking LaPorta to replace the traded T.J. Hockenson over Michael Mayer and Luke Musgrave was interesting. Trading up for Branch and Hooker were both wise moves, while trading multiple picks to get a nice athlete in Martin seemed a bit impatient.

Unsurprisingly, after the Gibbs pick, the Lions moved on from former second-round pick D’Andre Swift for a swap of seventh-rounders with the Eagles and a 2025 fourth-round pick. They only had two picks on Day 3 after trades, though I liked Sorsdal as a top-150 selection moving from tackle to guard in the NFL and Green could become a deep threat in time.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-draft-final-quick-snap-grades-for-all-32-teams

Green Bay Packers, A-

Draft picks

Iowa edge Lukas Van Ness (No. 13 overall)

Oregon State TE Luke Musgrave (No. 42)

Michigan State WR Jayden Reed (No. 50)

South Dakota State TE Tucker Kraft (No. 78)

Auburn DT Colby Wooden (No. 116)

Penn State QB Sean Clifford (No. 149)

Virginia WR Dontayvion Wicks (No. 159)

Bowling Green DT Karl Brooks (No. 179)

Auburn K Anders Carlson (No. 207)

Kentucky CB Carrington Valentine (No. 232)

Central Michigan RB Lew Nichols III (No. 235)

Iowa State S Anthony Johnson Jr. (No. 242)

Charlotte WR Grant DuBose (No. 256)

Day 1 grade: A
Day 2 grade: B
Day 3 grade: A

Analysis: I love the potential in Van Ness as a strong edge defender who can play 5 technique. Musgrave (gained with the pick acquired from the Jets in exchange for Aaron Rodgers), Reed (picked slightly earlier than expected) and Kraft (picked slightly later) give new quarterback Jordan Love three young targets with whom he can get familiar this offseason. 

Wooden and Brooks will greatly aid a lean defensive-line depth chart. Clifford has third-day intangibles and some physical traits to be a solid backup, though his accuracy was inconsistent throughout his career. Wicks, DuBose (my favorite pick of the group) and Nichols continue the team’s efforts to build talent on offense. Carlson possesses good leg strength but missed 12 field-goal attempts over the past two seasons. Valentine and Johnson were clutch picks for a secondary in need of help.

Edited by vike daddy