Round 3 Pick 69: WR Tank Dell

Texansfan713

Tank Dell NFL Draft Scouting Report - Draft Network

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/tank-dell/32004445-4c44-0817-a646-b67c3fe533fb

Overview

Every second of the route is a separation opportunity for Dell, a touchdown-making machine who pairs electrifying top-end speed with twitchy short-area quickness. His routes are fast and effective on all three levels with keen ball-tracking talent deep and sideline-dotting footwork. Focus drops and contested catches are ongoing issues that are likely to continue at the next level. Dell is dangerous with the ball in his hands after the catch and as a game-changing punt returner. His slender frame is a concern, but the explosive talent could be difficult to pass up for teams needing a big-play weapon to stretch the field and mismatch coverages.

IM PUMPED BABY LETS GO!

28 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So our WR depth is 

Collin
Woods/Metchie 
Brown/Tank

lots of guys with WR2 and WR3 potential but we still don’t have a WR1/ 1,000 yard guy on the team. That will probably be one of our biggest needs in the next draft. 

Or wait to see who is released. I'm still surprised Hop wasnt involved in that Zona trade.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

lots of guys with WR2 and WR3 potential but we still don’t have a WR1/ 1,000 yard guy on the team. That will probably be one of our biggest needs in the next draft. 

I think this is the year we see Nico Collins hit that 1,000 mark. Doesn’t mean we’re set at the position, but Collins is a 1B type, like Kenny Golliday - can put up some numbers as the primary WR.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

So our WR depth is 

Collin
Woods/Metchie 
Brown/Tank

I am under genuine belief any of those could break out and have a 1,000 year season

24 minutes ago, Jaytrajik said:

Tank always reminded me of a poor man's Will Fuller.  Got all of the drop consistency and big play potential. Love that he's staying in Houston but I doubt he'll see the field much this season. 

He immediately becomes our best punt returner.  He will definitely see the field this season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Texansfan713 said:

He immediately becomes our best punt returner.  He will definitely see the field this season.

Was coming to say this - he’s probably our starting KR/PR (either him or Desmond King… maybe they split duties).

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Yeah I wasnt really thinking much about ST that is a nice bonus. This roster still needs a veteran presence. I wonder who we'll go after 

2 hours ago, Jaytrajik said:

Yeah I wasnt really thinking much about ST that is a nice bonus. This roster still needs a veteran presence. I wonder who we'll go after 

There’s usually another round of cuts coming up following the draft, I would expect something added in that.

(If there are no hard feelings… maybe a trade for DeAndre Hopkins? I highly doubt it, but it’s worth asking).

• Like 1

So I never really watched Tank Dell until recently (I leave all UH scouting to @Texansfan713) but I finally got in a look - holy hell, he’s REALLY good. His sudden movement in his routes, that’s going to be impossible for a CB to lock down, and he can make some DIFFICULT catches. He’s gonna get open, he’s going to make the catch and make some plays with the ball in his hands - I think he can peak at 600-800 yards a year with 5-7 TDs (not including numbers in the return game - where I thinks he’ll be elite).

165 is pretty small (he looks like one of Kevin Durant’s legs) but he looks like he could put on 8-10 lbs of muscle on his lower body and not lose too much speed. Anything more and you might be compromising his speed and quickness. 

I see him as a middle class’ version of DeVonta Smith, he’s a unique talent. I was a bit miffed the Texans passed on Jalin Hyatt for him, but there is so much no diversity in Dell’s game - pair that with CJ Stroud’s accuracy and ball placement and you have a really dangerous combo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ET80 said:

So I never really watched Tank Dell until recently (I leave all UH scouting to @Texansfan713) but I finally got in a look - holy hell, he’s REALLY good. His sudden movement in his routes, that’s going to be impossible for a CB to lock down, and he can make some DIFFICULT catches. He’s gonna get open, he’s going to make the catch and make some plays with the ball in his hands - I think he can peak at 600-800 yards a year with 5-7 TDs (not including numbers in the return game - where I thinks he’ll be elite).

165 is pretty small (he looks like one of Kevin Durant’s legs) but he looks like he could put on 8-10 lbs of muscle on his lower body and not lose too much speed. Anything more and you might be compromising his speed and quickness. 

I see him as a middle class’ version of DeVonta Smith, he’s a unique talent. I was a bit miffed the Texans passed on Jalin Hyatt for him, but there is so much no diversity in Dell’s game - pair that with CJ Stroud’s accuracy and ball placement and you have a really dangerous combo.

Dell is going to end up being a personal favorite of Stroud. The ability to pick up YAC and make catches in the slot or deep is a QB, especially a young QB's best friend. Same draft class, and Dell is a certified dog.

Also, Dell allows you to carry an extra WR since Dell is going to play KR & PR. 

Nico, Dell, Woods, Metchie, Xavier H with that last spot coming down to Noah Brown or Amari Rodgers. Brown has potential coming over from Dallas where he made some pretty good catches and Rodgers looked decent last yr when he came over from GB. You have options but still no #1 WR. 

• Like 1