Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

If the reports of Cousins wanting to win are true, we don't stand a chance. If money is the key, we have a chance, but I think we need to outbid Minny drastically and dramatically overpaying Cousins would be a huge mistake (35+ mil a year). Either way, given Mac's past, I don't see him doing that. 

I've been saying Cousins will go to the Vikings for a while. They don't have to outbid us to win him. It's all around a great fit. I can't get mad at that. For all the other QBs, I don't mind but I would still want to draft a QB in the first. I'm still interested in McCarron, Taylor (I still believe they'll move on from him), Bradford, Bridgewater, and McCown. If we bring back McCown, we have to trade up. 

1 hour ago, barnaby8787 said:

If the reports of Cousins wanting to win are true, we don't stand a chance. If money is the key, we have a chance, but I think we need to outbid Minny drastically and dramatically overpaying Cousins would be a huge mistake (35+ mil a year). Either way, given Mac's past, I don't see him doing that. 

Yeah.. No reason to overpay him if Jets don't intend to win something until 2021.¬¬

3 hours ago, xenajets said:

For what it’s worth Colin Cowherd just put out a mock draft with the assumption we are signing Cousins.....

One thing to note with him though... he's very tapped into vegas and he has been saying all along that Cousins won't sign with the Jets, so if he's reversing his opinion, we can hope that he has a legitimate source. That said he said a few weeks ago that Denver and he already had a deal in place, so you can take it with a grain of salt for now. 

46 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

So you'd support the Jets throwing 35+ mil at him a year?

I'd be all for it. I think a bigger part in getting Cousins is the other FA it could land us as well. If we don't, it will be hard to get FA to want to come here. What's the only way to get them here than? Money. So what's the difference in overpaying 2 other guys 2.5mill per than paying Cousins 5mill per? Nothing.

Bobby, 35+ million for a guy who may or may not be a top 10 QB in the league is ludicrous, no matter how you rationalize it. You also can't justify it by saying "2 guys, 2.5 mil each". You need to draw the line. Why not pay him 40 mil then? 2 guys at 5 mil a piece; likely just role players. And saying we won't get FA's here isn't true either. Will Cousins help? Of course, but people will sign here.

3 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Bobby, 35+ million for a guy who may or may not be a top 10 QB in the league is ludicrous, no matter how you rationalize it. You also can't justify it by saying "2 guys, 2.5 mil each". You need to draw the line. Why not pay him 40 mil then? 2 guys at 5 mil a piece; likely just role players. And saying we won't get FA's here isn't true either. Will Cousins help? Of course, but people will sign here.

It is true though. The only way we are getting FAs here is money. So there's no difference in paying it to a CB, OC, OG, RB whatever. Its money and money we have. Id rather spend it on the most important position than role players and such.

Normally I'd agree that there's no justification in paying Cousins that type of money, but we got the money and we could make the contract in a way that it won't hamper us in the future. Day by day though it appears increasingly obvious that Cousins is going to sign with the Vikings though. That's fine, as much as I want Cousins here there's no logical argument to be made in choosing us over the Vikings.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

For other FA's, of course, but again, I don't see why we're spending 35 mil a guy who isn't a top 5 QB in the league and might not even be top 10.

You say that but AR15 is going to get top 5 WR money. Is he a top 5 WR? Butler, Johnson, Gaines, Fuller aren't top 5 CBs yet will be paid around there. Its how FA goes. That's why teams need to draft well, so they don't have to overspend in FA. We don't fall under that category, hence why we have 100mill in cap space and have a ton of holes.

We have a lot of money, yes.  But It goes a lot faster than people think.  Jax had 100 mill last year, now they are up against the cap and apparently letting AR 15 walk.  They even extended Bortles to make more space... that is clearly not a move of a team that has stretched their cap thin.  

I have be dying for us to do a sustained rebuild for my entire life.  Instead we try to buy wins every year because we fail at drafting.  I wanna sign some solid positional players and really try and rely on teh draft for once.  While always making sure we have left over cap space.  

10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

AR might not get top 5 money, but there's a big difference. They'll be in the general ballpark of top paid people at their position. At 35 mil, Cousins would be over 20% near the closest guy to him at his position.

If you look at stats and such Cousins is right between 6-10 in ranked QBs.

And like I stated he has to get overpaid bc he's a FA. Name me another guy that's similar? Jimmy G, right? And he's the highest paid QB in the NFL right now with like 10 games played in his whole career. Other teams don't have to overpay bc they drafted their QB. When have we shown this ability? Namath 40 years ago? So I don't trust us drafting a franchise guy right now. If we had 50mill in cap space I'd be against paying him 35mill. But we have 100mill so its not a big deal.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

If you look at stats and such Cousins is right between 6-10 in ranked QBs.

And like I stated he has to get overpaid bc he's a FA. Name me another guy that's similar? Jimmy G, right? And he's the highest paid QB in the NFL right now with like 10 games played in his whole career. Other teams don't have to overpay bc they drafted their QB. When have we shown this ability? Namath 40 years ago? So I don't trust us drafting a franchise guy right now. If we had 50mill in cap space I'd be against paying him 35mill. But we have 100mill so its not a big deal.

I don't care about stats. He's not a top 6 QB.  He's not better than Brady, Brees, Rodgers, Big Ben, Wilson, Wentz,  Matt Ryan, or Stafford. When healthy, Luck is better too. He's lumped in the fringe top 10 guys like Rivers, Alex Smith, etc. And just because the niners paid Jimmy G 27+ mil doesn't need to we need to pay 8 mil over that. Also, we have 89 mil right now, but I know what you're getting at obviously. 

Archived