Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

I still do not see Cousins as a Franchise QB and he WILL be paid like one. I would not play hard ball with him. I would tell him 100 mill for 5 years. You can be with your OC that you love and play under big lights in New York in a great stadium and we will have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds that will help you. That would be my final offer. To pay him 30 mill is crazy but I have a feeling he will get that. Only 3 players in the league should get that and those guys are Brees, Rodgers, and Brady. 

30 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I still do not see Cousins as a Franchise QB and he WILL be paid like one. I would not play hard ball with him. I would tell him 100 mill for 5 years. You can be with your OC that you love and play under big lights in New York in a great stadium and we will have 3 picks in the first 2 rounds that will help you. That would be my final offer. To pay him 30 mill is crazy but I have a feeling he will get that. Only 3 players in the league should get that and those guys are Brees, Rodgers, and Brady. 

You have to factor in the exponential rise in the salary cap. Those three guys are worth way more than $30 per year. 

Look at Matt Ryan. When he signed his deal, the salary cap was $123 million and his average salary was $21 million. In today's environment, that's $30 million. When these elite QB's contract come up in the next couple of years, they will blow pass Cousins' contract. 

I'm expecting Wilson to get in the mid 30's when his contract gets renewed. 

$30/year is overpaying for Cousins. I don't think anyone will debate that. But his market value is probably in the mid to upper 20's. $30 mil is not an agregious over pay. 

The other factor spiking QB pay is that, in today's NFL, the QB is even more important than it was 5-10 years ago. So while the value of a QB relative to other positions has been high, it's even higher now.

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

You have to factor in the exponential rise in the salary cap. Those three guys are worth way more than $30 per year. 

Look at Matt Ryan. When he signed his deal, the salary cap was $123 million and his average salary was $21 million. In today's environment, that's $30 million. When these elite QB's contract come up in the next couple of years, they will blow pass Cousins' contract. 

$30/year is overpaying for Cousins. I don't think anyone will debate that. But his market value is probably in the mid to upper 20's. $30 mil is not an agregious over pay. 

The other factor spiking QB pay is that, in today's NFL, the QB is even more important than it was 5-10 years ago. So while the value of a QB relative to other positions has been high, it's even higher now.

People always leave out the MOST IMPORTANT thing when it comes to someone not wanting Cousins.

look at the first sentence of his post lol “I do not see Cousins as a franchise QB” and that’s the problem some us have with signing him.

if he had some playoff wins under his belt, shown the ability to put the Skins on his back,and win games I’d be all about signing him. If he even had a decent record vs good teams I’d be more inclined to sign him. If Wilson was to become a free agent I’d have absolutely no problem giving him a Cousins type contract. 

3 hours ago, JetsandI said:

Interesting.  Espn said that if you designate franchise tag on a player for third time, it must be exclusive tag.  That is news to me. I don't know whether or not it is true.  If true, then Redskins have zero chance to tag him because Cousins will retaliate childishly.

Whatever!  Just get us a reliable qb.

http://www.thefootballeducator.com/nfl-cba-article-10-franchise-transition-players/

" If the Club designates the player as a Franchise Player for the third time, the designating Club shall be the only Club with which the player may negotiate or sign a Player Contract."

That is confirmation. 

1 hour ago, SDotNova said:

Exactly. This is what so many don't get. Lets look at nearly any FA class. The guys who actually hit FA (so guys not tagged and all). All get overpaid. Reason being they're a FA.

Is Olivier Vernon the 2nd best pass rusher in the NFL? Gosh No, but the Giants had to pay him that money to get him. This happens at every position, just Cousins haters are crying about it. Malcolm Butler will probably be the highest paid CB after this season when he might not even be a top 10 CB, but he's a FA and will get paid top dollar. Want to not have to pay top dollar? Than draft well. But we've not shown that we can rely on that in like 12yrs. So to just say draft a QB at 6 and that's the answer is a very uneducated response. Bc that implies that whoever we draft at 6 is a cant miss sure fire franchise QB. And we know that's not true bc we've literally missed on countless draft picks and even countless draft picks in Round 1 where the odds are better for them to succeed.

32 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

People always leave out the MOST IMPORTANT thing when it comes to someone not wanting Cousins.

look at the first sentence of his post lol “I do not see Cousins as a franchise QB” and that’s the problem some us have with signing him.

if he had some playoff wins under his belt, shown the ability to put the Skins on his back,and win games I’d be all about signing him. If he even had a decent record vs good teams I’d be more inclined to sign him. If Wilson was to become a free agent I’d have absolutely no problem giving him a Cousins type contract. 

And that would imply that you think that's there's a franchise QB for sure better than him in the draft. Bc we know we aren't going into this next season with the same QB personnel. I think we all know if we don't get a QB in FA that we will draft one at 6 or even trade up to get 1 (which is even worse).

And quite frankly I think anyone who thinks any QB in the class is better than Cousins clearly hasn't done their homework on the QBs in this class and/or haven't studied Cousins.

42 minutes ago, GangGreen420 said:

In his post, he didn't say he wouldn't sign Cousins. He said he wouldn't sign him for $30M. He is questioning us getting him because of the contract he will command. This is why I focused on the contract amount. 

He actually said he would give Cousins an offer but wouldn't go more than 5 years $100M. 

My post was to say that he needs to adjust upward his contract expectations based on the new salary cap. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And that would imply that you think that's there's a franchise QB for sure better than him in the draft. Bc we know we aren't going into this next season with the same QB personnel. I think we all know if we don't get a QB in FA that we will draft one at 6 or even trade up to get 1 (which is even worse).

And quite frankly I think anyone who thinks any QB in the class is better than Cousins clearly hasn't done their homework on the QBs in this class and/or haven't studied Cousins.

Your entitled to believe what you want. If you want to believe that someone’s opinion on Kirk Cousins as a player is directly tied to the QBs in the upcoming draft, that’s your train of thought.

This draft class could be last years where there was “no good QBs” and guess what? I’m still not making Cousins the highest paid player in history. Has absolute nothing to do with the QBs in this class.

1 minute ago, GangGreen420 said:

Your entitled to believe what you want. If you want to believe that someone’s opinion on Kirk Cousins as a player is directly tied to the QBs in the upcoming draft, that’s your train of thought.

So then let me ask you what your ideal situation for us at QB this off season is then?

Cousins problem is always about money.  Many Jet Fans want Jets help Cousins get exact amount of $$$ quicker than other teams to ensure Cousins taking Jets.  Cousins keeps saying that it was not about money so Jets may not have to front load money to Cousins. If that happens, everyone should be happy.  Still, Cousins will have 48 hours window to talk with teams as nobody knows what is going on in his mind regarding money.  Pay a lot of money to shut him up and get him to sign a contract.

Just forget about money until Cousins actually gets new contract as I am sure many of you will bark at any players' contract daily.

The one thing I love is that people say why brings Cousins to this team. We have no offensive line, we have no offensive weapons. So we're going to bring in a rookie and he's going to have to deal with all that... Makes zero sense. Hey guys, Le'Veon Bell thinks we're a joke franchise. So cross him off the list... whose next that you're wiling to spend money on?

Just now, Bobby816 said:

So then let me ask you what your ideal situation for us at QB this off season is then?

Well clearly I would have my top 3 QBs in the draft. Depending on how the process plays out and who signs where a lot could change. So if we are in position to draft one at 6 or move up to 3 (not 1 unless the cost is surprisingly low)depending on the cost that’s an avenue you explore. Macs tried to trade up twice for a QB, so it’s a possibility (yes I know you don’t want to do this, or draft Baker Mayfield) But in any circumstance I’m likely acquiring a QB in the draft. Then there’s the vets like Tyrod or whoever the Jets would likely go after. I’d prefer to just sign a cheap insurance policy and play the rookie. This avenue I would spend just as much as I had to in order to reach the cap floor and get the rookie a line and a weapon or two.

In my eyes that’s better than locking the team into a mega deal for a guy who’s compiled some nice stats in 3 years but hasn’t won many games for whatever reason. Blame it on the Skins and his lack of cast but that’s a fact. But I also don’t think this team is as close to “competing” as a lot of people on here think, so I don’t want to blow all of our cap to make a run with Cousins and Bowles at the helm.

I know you strongly disagree and that’s cool, just my .02

Archived