Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

On 2/2/2018 at 4:15 PM, JetsandI said:

Depending on who but 5th round is generally "too late" for a promising qb.   We aren't the Packers.

You can find steals late if you draft well.  We'd have Cousins for at least 5 years.  No need to spend a high pick on a QB this year.

Cousins is going to want to succeed wherever he goes. Signing a big deal comes with big expectations. I see us ahead of the pack bc of Bates. He knows the system and all. Which in his eyes means he is more likely to succeed. It’s uo to Macc to do the rest after hiknti actually make us a winning franchise be addressing other needs in FA and draft.

43 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not sure if Bates is enough to pull Cousins. But rumors are coming in that Washington might look into trading him.

I brought this up the other day. And everyone said they can’t do that. But apparently they can. Very curious as to the asking price being he’s slated to be a FA. 

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I brought this up the other day. And everyone said they can’t do that. But apparently they can. Very curious as to the asking price being he’s slated to be a FA. 

They have to tag him to trade him. It be weird on Washingtons part cause Cousins could refuse to sign it and drag it on deep into the offseason, plus he could say to teams that he wouldn't sign an extension with them which could deter them from pursuing him.

50 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm not sure how much I would give up for him honestly. Trading would benefit the browns & bills the most. They can give up the most without hurting their draft. I'm guessing it's going to cost a 2nd for Cousins unless a late first round team jumps in.

16 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

I'm not sure how much I would give up for him honestly. Trading would benefit the browns & bills the most. They can give up the most without hurting their draft. I'm guessing it's going to cost a 2nd for Cousins unless a late first round team jumps in.

I’d give up a 2nd for him in a heartbeat. After all we have 2 2nds anyway.

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

I’d give up a 2nd for him in a heartbeat. After all we have 2 2nds anyway.

I understand it but I'm still split on Cousins Vs these top prospects. It's going to cost almost the same to move up to at least #4. I'd be happy with either choice.

If Redskins tagged Cousins as a franchise player then he would sign the tender immediately. If it was a transition player, he won't sign the tender.

The problem is that Cousins makes it knowledgeable that he won't negotiate for new contract if he is tagged.  Is it applied to Redskins only or all teams.  I guesstimate that he would open the negotiation for new contract if he were traded to Broncos, Vikings or Jaguars.  I count Browns out because they just hire Scot McCloughan as team consultant. Scot holds the low opinion of Cousins when it comes to $$$.  What would happen if Cousins was traded to Jets?

If no contract is done with Jets then Jets could tag him for next season.

2018- 35m

2019- 50m

2020?- 72m

It is still a high risk for Jets because Jets' behavior suggests they aren't in a winning mode. If Cousins has common sense, he won't work on new contract with Jets.

I am sure Redskins are doing a wink-wink crap with Broncos, Vikings or Jaguars for better compensation as Cousins would appreciate the gesture. Broncos' 2nd round  and 4th round picks or Jaguars' 1st round pick or Vikings' 1st round pick are attractive to Redskins.

Despite the tag rumors, I still think it would not happen. It would be horrible management by Allen, who’d be letting his ego get in the way. 

Kirk’s FA destinations could dwindle if tagged because teams aren’t going to trade premium picks for him knowing they already committed to Alex, and Kirk still would hold the cards because he can’t be moved until he signs that tender. He likely would avoid signing it because then he gives up his right to choose a team, and teams won’t trade for him without a commitment. What would likely happen is the redskins rescind the tag at some point, making the whole situation pointless. They would’ve had $34 million they could’ve used in FA tied up in a player that won’t be on the team and will develop an even worse reputation among the NFLPA and agents for the way they handled the situation. 

I think it made for an interesting story, but I will be utterly shocked if Kirk isn’t a FA. 

Cousins already indicated he wanted to be there on the field so he will sign the tender if he is tagged. If that happened then who would Redskins start if they could not trade Cousins away?

Edit:  Also, if hot teams hold back for better value in acquiring Cousins then 3rd and 4th round picks would work as it is better than just 2019 3rd round pick.

15 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Cousins already indicated he wanted to be there on the field so he will sign the tender if he is tagged. If that happened then who would Redskins start if they could not trade Cousins away?

Edit:  Also, if hot teams hold back for better value in acquiring Cousins then 3rd and 4th round picks would work as it is better than just 2019 3rd round pick.

He said that pre Smith getting traded there. 

Archived