Why I believe Kirk Cousins will be a New York Jet

jetskid007

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well really it will be like 50mill and 7 draft picks if we sign him (we only have 7 picks, I keep forgetting we don't have a 5th) and we also would have to spend some of that 110mill in cap space on resigning our own, signing our draft picks and signing Cousins... leaving us around 50mill or so for the rest of FA.

We have 8 we got Dallas' 5th for moving down last year

10 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Well really it will be like 50mill and 7 draft picks if we sign him (we only have 7 picks, I keep forgetting we don't have a 5th) and we also would have to spend some of that 110mill in cap space on resigning our own, signing our draft picks and signing Cousins... leaving us around 50mill or so for the rest of FA.

Correct 7 picks, we don't have a pick in the final round.

$50M in usable cap, that still more than the majority of teams especially when you consider they may want to retain some of their FAs as well. I think we lock up ASJ ($6M), Claiborne ($8M), Davis ($8M), Catanzaro ($2M) and tender Enunwa ($3M) after that it's probably a toss up. I think $30M is a safe estimate for resigning our own/role players. 

Edit* we have 8 picks, we flip flopped picks in round 7 with Seattle. Website I was using didn't lest it.

1 hour ago, rdelaney89 said:

Correct 7 picks, we don't have a pick in the final round.

$50M in usable cap, that still more than the majority of teams especially when you consider they may want to retain some of their FAs as well. I think we lock up ASJ ($6M), Claiborne ($8M), Davis ($8M), Catanzaro ($2M) and tender Enunwa ($3M) after that it's probably a toss up. I think $30M is a safe estimate for resigning our own/role players. 

Edit* we have 8 picks, we flip flopped picks in round 7 with Seattle. Website I was using didn't lest it.

I expect us to be big players in the Cousins sweepstakes. But we quite frankly can’t just go all in on just him. Otherwise we will miss out on other big time players. We need to go hard after a CB like Johnson or Gaines as well as a C like Jensen or Richburg. I can see us going hard after WR and OG as well. We can’t get caught up in just Cousins and miss out on these guys. Bc if we in turn miss out on Cousins in the end... we would have already missed out on others. Making us having to sign a bunch of tier 2 and 3 guys to fill up cap space. We should go into FA as if we are signing Cousins and still act like we have 50mill to spend. Try and wow those guys and positions I mentioned, while in the process of trying to get Cousins. We know how so many players agree to terms within hours of when you can start talking to players. Cousins I’m sure will take his time and take several visits. But we can’t let waiting on him have us miss out on guys that 1st day. In fact we should use that day as a opportunity to try and impress him. Get a couple OLineman and maybe even a WR to try and persuade him to come here.

I would think any pitch to Cousins would be the assumption that we will bring in a free agent to be his number one guy. Cousins usually did his best work with a healthy Reed and a target monster in Garcon and then Crowder. He had no problem in checking down to Thompson, so a pass catching back would also be a requirement for us if we land him. If you use those as a parameter of how to go about this offseason, you would think it could look something like this.

Sign Cousins, go hard after Landry, sign Jerick McKinnon. I personally would have no problem in splurging on Cousins and Landry, mainly because it would give us a passing attack for years to come. McKinnon I like a lot, could start or be a change of pace back for us. He'll be 26 when the new season starts and hasn't been run into the ground yet.

With that being in place, we could head into the draft and potentially attack it in a few different ways.

1- Darnold, 2- Rosen, 3- Chubb, 4-Barkley, 5- Mayfield.

At six, would Arizona or Buffalo trade up? I would explore a trade down in this scenario, but even if we didn't we'd have our pick from Fitzpatrick, Jackson, Nelson or Ridley. Fitzpatrick and Jackson dramatically improve our secondary, Nelson lands us possibly the best guard prospect ever coming out of college and Ridley would give us Anderson insurance and Cousins yet another weapon. For the sake of this scenario we draft Fitzpatrick.

Even if we had to trade up into the back of the first round, I think Dallas Goedert would be the perfect fit for Cousins. If we aren't able to land him, adding a TE like Andrews or Hurst would be a premium for me. If we did bring back ASJ, that first second round pick is always golden for a falling player. Arden Key seems like a prime candidate to slip in the draft, there's a ton of offensive linemen prospects that we could use to build up our offensive line pending how free agency goes. For the sake of this scenario, we draft Goedert.

With our second pick in the second round we address the offensive line. Anyone of Isaiah Wynn, Will Hernandez or Braden Smith would make a lot of sense here. We upgrade our blocking and inject some youth into our offensive line.

If your telling me that in one offseason we could reinvent our entire offense, I'm jumping for joy.

Cousins

McKinnon/Powell/McGuire

Landry/Anderson/Enunwa/Kearse

Goedert/Leggett/Tomlinson

Jerrick McKinnon is not really not that good I don't why so many people mock him to the Jets.  All he does is take away snap from McGuire who should be getting the 3rd down touches.

Jeremy Hill would be the smarter addition as the short yardage back behind McGuire and whoever we draft.

As for the rest of the offense.  It's a short list

Cousins
ARob
OG
C
Hill
draft RB 

That is my somewhat realistic path to a top 10 offense.

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

I expect us to be big players in the Cousins sweepstakes. But we quite frankly can’t just go all in on just him. Otherwise we will miss out on other big time players. We need to go hard after a CB like Johnson or Gaines as well as a C like Jensen or Richburg. I can see us going hard after WR and OG as well. We can’t get caught up in just Cousins and miss out on these guys. Bc if we in turn miss out on Cousins in the end... we would have already missed out on others. Making us having to sign a bunch of tier 2 and 3 guys to fill up cap space. We should go into FA as if we are signing Cousins and still act like we have 50mill to spend. Try and wow those guys and positions I mentioned, while in the process of trying to get Cousins. We know how so many players agree to terms within hours of when you can start talking to players. Cousins I’m sure will take his time and take several visits. But we can’t let waiting on him have us miss out on guys that 1st day. In fact we should use that day as a opportunity to try and impress him. Get a couple OLineman and maybe even a WR to try and persuade him to come here.

I agree but I don't think we blind ourselves with only Cousins, especially if he shops himself around like you and I believe, we will need to fill out our roster with players that will be attractive to him. I fully expect us to make strong offers to Norwell and Jensen ($22M total roughly) and a FA CB ($12-15M roughly) that would leave us with $13M (assuming the high end of contracts) which would be more than enough to still land most WRs.

You then head into the draft looking at BPA with an emphasis on Edge and RB early.

5 minutes ago, rdelaney89 said:

I agree but I don't think we blind ourselves with only Cousins, especially if he shops himself around like you and I believe, we will need to fill out our roster with players that will be attractive to him. I fully expect us to make strong offers to Norwell and Jensen ($22M total roughly) and a FA CB ($12-15M roughly) that would leave us with $13M (assuming the high end of contracts) which would be more than enough to still land most WRs.

You then head into the draft looking at BPA with an emphasis on Edge and RB early.

Exactly Mac will budget other deals making sure to save 40M to sign Cousins.  As Cousins takes his tour to DEN, MIN, JAC, NYJ, CLE, etc. we should be locking up guys like Norwell, Jensen, Trumaine Johnson and A Rob to entice Cousins to come.

14 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Jerrick McKinnon is not really not that good I don't why so many people mock him to the Jets.  All he does is take away snap from McGuire who should be getting the 3rd down touches.

Jeremy Hill would be the smarter addition as the short yardage back behind McGuire and whoever we draft.

As for the rest of the offense.  It's a short list

Cousins
ARob
OG
C
Hill
draft RB 

That is my somewhat realistic path to a top 10 offense.

McKinnon catching the ball out of the backfield is probably the best back there is out there that's realistic. I don't see us approaching Bell or Lewis based on what they would cost. Maybe you want to roll the dice on Crowell, maybe Burkhead who I don't see the Pats letting go. McGuire was about as solid as they come, but at the end of the day he doesn't really move the needle all that much. Solid change of pace back. McKinnon probably wouldn't cost much, is realistic and doesn't look like he'd be returning back to the Vikings with Cook and Murray there. If he could be our Chris Thompson, I'd be thrilled. Hill at this point is nothing more than a goal line back, maybe Id consider him because he''ll probably be free. Does he still qualify as a low risk high reward at this point?

Just now, Akomplice said:

McKinnon catching the ball out of the backfield is probably the best back there is out there that's realistic. I don't see us approaching Bell or Lewis based on what they would cost. Maybe you want to roll the dice on Crowell, maybe Burkhead who I don't see the Pats letting go. McGuire was about as solid as they come, but at the end of the day he doesn't really move the needle all that much. Solid change of pace back. McKinnon probably wouldn't cost much, is realistic and doesn't look like he'd be returning back to the Vikings with Cook and Murray there. If he could be our Chris Thompson, I'd be thrilled. Hill at this point is nothing more than a goal line back, maybe Id consider him because he''ll probably be free. Does he still qualify as a low risk high reward at this point?

McGuire does everything McKinnon does, they are redundant.  McKinnon doesn't move the needle either.  McGuire's best attribute is his ability to catch as a 3rd down back.  He can fill that role just fine without McKinnon.  We need a 3 down back in the draft and a short yardage back.  Crowell, Burkhead, Hill etc all fill that role.  

10 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Ian Rapaport is reporting that the Broncos plan to keep DT and E. Sanders.  If so, Elway needs to be really creative to afford Cousins.

Although it goes against conventional wisdom, they will keep both until they figure out whether or not they get Kirk and would opt to make the tough financial cuts on defense instead... having those two in place is part of their pitch to Kirk.

If they don’t land Kirk, they will look to move one of the receivers and balance the positional cap allotment. 

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Although it goes against conventional wisdom, they will keep both until they figure out whether or not they get Kirk and would opt to make the tough financial cuts on defense instead... having those two in place is part of their pitch to Kirk.

If they don’t land Kirk, they will look to move one of the receivers and balance the positional cap allotment. 

I just think they'll have money for Kirk, but nobody else

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

I just think they'll have money for Kirk, but nobody else

You are correct. That’s one of our biggest bargaining chips. They’ll probably cut Talib, Anderson and extend Roby, which should create around $20M in space, but they’d still be tight against the cap with Kirk’s figure. 

My guess is Von’s contract will be worked on if they need to make room for Kirk and draft class. Still, Kirk would be going there knowing that most of the team is in place with exception to a few cheap vets and the draft class

8 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

You are correct. That’s one of our biggest bargaining chips. They’ll probably cut Talib, Anderson and extend Roby, which should create around $20M in space, but they’d still be tight against the cap with Kirk’s figure. 

My guess is Von’s contract will be worked on if they need to make room for Kirk and draft class. Still, Kirk would be going there knowing that most of the team is in place with exception to a few cheap vets and the draft class

Exactly, plus that'd mean he'd be stuck with an aging team, an awful o-line, and an awful run game.  Not much of an upgrade on the offensive end to Denver.  Just an upgraded D.  

Archived