Seattle Mariners Thread

Eagles27

Just now, Eagles27 said:

Also this game is on Scott BTW. He has been awful this year.

No confidence in the FO holding him responsible, but I don't think his performance has gotten enough attention. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Scott has done a good job this year, and has had a bunch of minor headscratchers every other year, but I'm not seeing what he did this game. PH'ing Cal was 100% the right move, Cal just choked it and went down on three pitches. Same with Ford.

7 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

I get the frustration, but we've been much worse off before. There is a clear path to this roster becoming good and the key pieces are young. Definitely agree that we need to make the right moves and stop being cheap ****s. 

Prospects haven't had the effect on the big league roster we'd like (bats at least), but at the very least it adds to our lists of assets. 

Believe me, I get it, but we've said this before in other heavy copium stages. I really have no reason to not expect the worse. We have no track record of being able to sustain any kind of success from positional players, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Julio took another dip next year, and the prospects we do have (the ones that hit the ball anyways) are big time longshots or are 3 years away from seeing any playing time.

11 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Don't get me wrong, I don't think Scott has done a good job this year, and has had a bunch of minor headscratchers every other year, but I'm not seeing what he did this game. PH'ing Cal was 100% the right move, Cal just choked it and went down on three pitches. Same with Ford.

Believe me, I get it, but we've said this before in other heavy copium stages. I really have no reason to not expect the worse. We have no track record of being able to sustain any kind of success from positional players, it honestly wouldn't surprise me if Julio took another dip next year, and the prospects we do have (the ones that hit the ball anyways) are big time longshots or are 3 years away from seeing any playing time.

Feel like Scott didn't do us any favors by playing Moore and Pollock at the same time. I get the matchup aspect, but they have been awful. These 2 shouldn't even be on the roster. Don't agree PH Cal was the right move at all either. Murphy has been one of our better hitters and more consistent than Cal. 

I don't see us as in another copium stage. At least here I feel we're fairly honest about how the team is performing. Very good chance this ownership will be cheap and we will be mediocre for the next 5 years. However it's not as dire a situation as we were in during the JackZ days. The roster construction was awful and we had money locked into albatross deals. We have the ability to be good, just not certain if they will make the necessary moves.

Again, I agree on the prospects for the most part. Not excited about them necessarily helping this team take the next step. More so hoping we build the farm up and can make a move for more established MLB bats. 

1 hour ago, Eagles27 said:

Feel like Scott didn't do us any favors by playing Moore and Pollock at the same time. I get the matchup aspect, but they have been awful. These 2 shouldn't even be on the roster. Don't agree PH Cal was the right move at all either. Murphy has been one of our better hitters and more consistent than Cal. 

I don't see us as in another copium stage. At least here I feel we're fairly honest about how the team is performing. Very good chance this ownership will be cheap and we will be mediocre for the next 5 years. However it's not as dire a situation as we were in during the JackZ days. The roster construction was awful and we had money locked into albatross deals. We have the ability to be good, just not certain if they will make the necessary moves.

Again, I agree on the prospects for the most part. Not excited about them necessarily helping this team take the next step. More so hoping we build the farm up and can make a move for more established MLB bats. 

I mean yeah, if we're going off of 100 PA's, Tom has been solid. He's also been pretty bad against righties his entire career, and Cal has come up with big hit after big hit for us since he's been here, so Idk. 

I would agree that it's not as dire as it was then, but it doesn't take much to have basically what would be a wasted window of insanely good pitching. If Julio continues what he's doing now, and Kelenic doesn't grow into that next step, all of the sudden we are royally screwed. Meanwhile, guys like Jake Fraley are slashing  .275/.365/.468 and seem to have figured everything out as soon as they got on the plane to leave Seattle.

15 minutes ago, Mesa_Titan said:

Meanwhile, guys like Jake Fraley are slashing  .275/.365/.468 and seem to have figured everything out as soon as they got on the plane to leave Seattle.

For sure. This is a major concern. Development at the MLB level has not been good. Even a guy like Kelenic comes into spring, looks good, and starts the year hot. The longer he's with our staff the worse he performs...

Just to touch on the draft one more time before it happens; I know this is likely due to us having 3 top 30 picks, but this is the first time I can remember there being so many guys I would be happy with tomorrow. Out of the guys who have a reasonable chance to be available...

College Bats:
SS Matt Shaw
SS Tommy Troy
3B Braden Taylor
OF Chase Davis
OF Enrique Bradfield

Prep Bats:
C Blake Mitchell
3B Aidan Miller
SS Colin Houck
SS Colt Emerson
SS George Lombard Jr.
SS Kevin McGonigle
SS Walker Martin
OF Jonny Farmelo

Prep Arms:
RHP Noble Meyer
LHP Thomas White
LHP Alex Clemmey
RHP Josh Knoth
RHP Charlee Soto

Not a huge fan of taking some of the college bats with some swing and miss concerns given our development record (Morales/Wilken) and don't have any interest in any of the college arms after the top 4 in round 1. I guess I can never put it past the M's, but seems unlikely we should be too disappointed. All 3 top picks should be in our top 10 prospects pretty much out of the gate. 

17 minutes ago, Eagles27 said:

For sure. This is a major concern. Development at the MLB level has not been good. Even a guy like Kelenic comes into spring, looks good, and starts the year hot. The longer he's with our staff the worse he performs...

Just to touch on the draft one more time before it happens; I know this is likely due to us having 3 top 30 picks, but this is the first time I can remember there being so many guys I would be happy with tomorrow. Out of the guys who have a reasonable chance to be available...

College Bats:
SS Matt Shaw
SS Tommy Troy
3B Braden Taylor
OF Chase Davis
OF Enrique Bradfield

Prep Bats:
C Blake Mitchell
3B Aidan Miller
SS Colin Houck
SS Colt Emerson
SS George Lombard Jr.
SS Kevin McGonigle
SS Walker Martin
OF Jonny Farmelo

Prep Arms:
RHP Noble Meyer
LHP Thomas White
LHP Alex Clemmey
RHP Josh Knoth
RHP Charlee Soto

Not a huge fan of taking some of the college bats with some swing and miss concerns given our development record (Morales/Wilken) and don't have any interest in any of the college arms after the top 4 in round 1. I guess I can never put it past the M's, but seems unlikely we should be too disappointed. All 3 top picks should be in our top 10 prospects pretty much out of the gate. 

Ive seen Wilken mocked to us a lot, but it seems very wide open with where we could go. Should be fun tomorrow.

6 minutes ago, grizmo78 said:

I'll be honest, I dont know anything about baseball prospects. That said, I'm glad we got Emerson, 

Like the pick a lot. Probably moves off SS, but the bat will be his carrying tool. Has the frame to grow into power too. Fits the organization mold of drafting younger players as he is still 17. 

Should also sign for around slot, so we can go BPA available at 29/30. 

Like Whitman or Watts-Brown if we go college arm. Would prefer a projectable prep though. M's have done a good job of finding effective college arms in the mid-rounds.

Wouldn't be opposed to another prep bat either. Don't love the college bats.