Jets Select RB Israel Abanikanda Round 5 Pick 143

jetsfan4life51

Don't think any of this is a reason we drafted Izyy, just thought it was very interesting.

4 names in this to note.

Izzy the current drafted RB who I think will be our #2 RB ahead of Carter and Bam. A Pitt alum.

Nathaniel Hackett our current offensive Coordinator.

Curtis Martin a HOF Jets RB for 8 seasons and Pitt alum.

Paul Hackett, Nathaniel Hackett's dad. And also a one time OC for the Jets from 2001-2004.

So how does all this come together.....

Paul Hackett was HC of University of Pitt when Curtis Martin was there. He came on as Jets OC later on when Martin was in his prime. In those 4 seasons Martin had over 5,600yds rushing 1200yds receiving and 33 TDs.

We hire Nathaniel Hackett as OC a few months ago mainly to help get Rodgers. But he is proven with AR. And we in turn draft a Pitt RB who was great there.

So there's a big connection with the Hackett's, Pitt and RBs.

After looking at the video clips above, he appears to have great vision and he uses his blockers really well.  Gaping holes in the NFL are rare.  He almost appears, dare I say, Curtis Martin like.  Also, who is that LG #52 I think?

Love the pick, but the Jets may have really picked themselves up a jewel in Travis Dye USC. Dye is going to give both Carter and Bam a run for their money. The kid has an IT factor about his game. He was hurt last season, obviously it hurt his draft stock, but this RB is a player. When we think about how Kuntz fell to the Jets, same situation. Kuntz was hurt sat out rehabbed and picked in the 7th round. 

Dye for my money is a hard nosed, hard to bring down RB with a nose for the end zone.