Cardinals 2023 Draft Early Reaction... Better Than Keim???

HoboRocket

1.6 Paris Johnson Jr, OL, Ohio State: Elite offensive lineman with the ability to play guard or tackle. Will likely start his career at guard for the Cardinals before shifting to become their franchise left tackle on DJ Humphries moves on. He's absolutely massive and a great mover for his size.

2.41 BJ Ojulari, EDGE, LSU: Advanced technician of an edge rusher who could be amazing in the NFL. Primary weakness? The need to gain strength and get bigger. Only 250 lbs on his 6'3" frame. He's athletic and excellent with his hands, but can get outmuscled when matched up with a mauler. Still, with muscle mass being the only concern, Ojulari has a great chance of becoming a 10 to 12 sack a year kind of player. 

3.72 Garrett Williams, CB, Syracuse: Williams was acquired at a bargain due to an ACL injury sustained in October. He's not huge at 6'0", 190ish, but is very physical and can match up against big WRs. He's great in run defense. Inconsistent still against guys in the middle of the field, but he always prevents yards after the catch.

3.94 Michael Wilson, WR, Stanford: Kind of a question mark. Wilson was injured all the time in college and never really produced. But he's big, fast, can change direction really well, win contested catches and get yards after the catch. Prototypical athlete for the position, just huge durability question marks.

4.122 Jon Gaines II, OL, UCLA: Excellent value pick. Gaines can play all 5 positions and had the upside to be a good starter in the NFL. Probably should have gone a round sooner. Really smooth mover.

5.139 Clayton Tune, QB, Houston: Potential back-upback QB for Murray. He has ideal QB size and tested well at the combine. Good arm, and great at moving around, but loses a lot of velocity throwing off platform.

5.168 Owen Pappoe, LB, Auburn: Big off-ball LB with amazing range and athleticism. Didn't play a ton of coverage in college but looked good when placed there. Will just need more seasoning. Great value pick and potential successor to Isaiah Simmons.

6.180 Kei'Trel Clark, CB, Louisville: If he were two inches taller and 10-15 lbs heavier, he would have been a first round pick. Tore his ACL in 2021 but was amazing in 2022. Super fast, very fluid, prevents separation and plays bigger than his size. He's only 5'10", 178ish, so he's essentially limited to the slot in the NFL, but he could be one of the best nickel corners in the league.

6.213 Dante Stills, IDL, West Virginia: Undersized IDL without a clear position. He can play anywhere, but expectations should be tempered. Not creative as a pass rusher, but he does play stronger than his 280-lb frame would suggest.

• Like 1

I try not to get too excited about draft picks just because I've gotten excited about too many busts in the past. But this year Monti ran a proper, professional draft. Impossible not to get excited about having the first rounders of the odds on favorites to be 1 and 2 next year. 

It's also refreshing to see an obvious pattern for our late round selections. Each one of them is an athletic freak of some sort. If we miss on a guy, I don't mind missing on athleticism

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2023 at 12:52 PM, LuckyNumber11 said:

I try not to get too excited about draft picks just because I've gotten excited about too many busts in the past. But this year Monti ran a proper, professional draft. Impossible not to get excited about having the first rounders of the odds on favorites to be 1 and 2 next year. 

It's also refreshing to see an obvious pattern for our late round selections. Each one of them is an athletic freak of some sort. If we miss on a guy, I don't mind missing on athleticism

Yeah, I'm disastrously enthused by this class. I know I'm gonna get my heart broken, but even my least favorite pick has a ton of promise. The more I see, the more excited I become on most of these guys.