2024 NFL Draft

Humble_Beast

3 hours ago, big_palooka said:

"elite" is so overused. When you refer to traits, is it only physical?

In my view McCarthy ranks high in smarts, decision make and processing. His arm is live, he's athletic and is great making plays outside structure. 

What elite traits are you looking for? Few have a Josh Allen arm or Lamar Jackson athletic profile which would be the measure of elite. By definition, I'm not sure any of the QBs on this class have elite traits. 

Caleb Williams certainly has elite arm strength and Jayden Daniels has elite mobility. Maye has high end tools as well. 

Very few do have elite traits but those are the guys at the top of the league. 

He has an okay arm, is an above average athlete, and his accuracy is hit or miss. He is great making plays out of structure? Meh. Just such a small sample size of him doing it. His physical profile and arm are similar to Derek Carr. 

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Probably because they cheated. They told him where to scramble and who who would come open. Only explanation really. 

Now let’s see the volume of passes thrown out of scrambles. And I guarantee McCarthy is significantly lower than the rest lol

• Like 1

You're so lame. There is a massive difference in being nicked up in season and having 3 serious knee injuries. Take a lap.

I said that but it was one of your many excuses. Many. You did run away when I pointed out how much he sucked on third down after Stalions was gone. Expected you to tell me his favorite figure skater died and he was traumatized or something. You always have a lot of excuses for how poorly he played after Conor was gone. 

Probably because they cheated. They told him where to scramble and who who would come open. Only explanation really. 

Now THIS is an interesting stat when making a case for not going with penix early because I thought the other ones were pretty dumb. I still like penix but this one is enough to really make you think 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Now let’s see the volume of passes thrown out of scrambles. And I guarantee McCarthy is significantly lower than the rest lol

We also know it wasn't throwing left either

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Now THIS is an interesting stat when making a case for not going with penix early because I thought the other ones were pretty dumb. I still like penix but this one is enough to really make you think 

If you watch Penix play it's clear to see that he struggles with pressure and if he has to create out of structure, lol.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you watch Penix play it's clear to see that he struggles with pressure and if he has to create out of structure, lol.

It's not the pressure part. I knew that.(That's why I was crapping on him in the championship game.) fun fact he had one of the best offensive lines in college football.

Thing is he can't throw with accuracy when he scrambles that's a problem. Those are two different problems.

Edited by Jeremy408

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

It's not the pressure part. I knew that.(That's why I was crapping on him in the championship game.) fun fact he had one of the best offensive lines in college football.

Thing is he can't throw with accuracy when he scrambles that's a problem. Those are two different problems.

They go hand in hand because the only time he's looking to scramble is if he's pressured.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Caleb Williams certainly has elite arm strength and Jayden Daniels has elite mobility. Maye has high end tools as well. 

Very few do have elite traits but those are the guys at the top of the league. 

He has an okay arm, is an above average athlete, and his accuracy is hit or miss. He is great making plays out of structure? Meh. Just such a small sample size of him doing it. His physical profile and arm are similar to Derek Carr. 

If elite is Josh Allen, Williams doesn't have elite arm strength in my opinion. Daniels has elite speed (for the position), but not mobility. He's a straight line runner. He's not going to break you down and make you miss ala Lamar Jackson. He's more Justin Fields in that regard. 

As DJ said during the combine, the ball jumps off McCarthy's hand. He tested second to Milton (elite arm) in velocity. Would be interested where they guys who didn't throw rank. 

He is more athletic than Carr, that's easy to see. He's an easy 4.5 guy and has some make you miss as a runner. Arm, probably similar but Carr has a nice arm. 

2 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I said that but it was one of your many excuses. Many. You did run away when I pointed out how much he sucked on third down after Stalions was gone. Expected you to tell me his favorite figure skater died and he was traumatized or something. You always have a lot of excuses for how poorly he played after Conor was gone. 

The back half of their scheduled facing 5 ranked teams and having a hamstring injury is hardly "excuses". It just doesn't fit your narrative.

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Come on now bro lol

Does this mean Daniels and Penix have "elite" arm strength because their tape is littered with these type throws. 

Josh Allen is different. He has elite, throw a strawberry through a battleship velocity. 

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

If elite is Josh Allen, Williams doesn't have elite arm strength in my opinion. Daniels has elite speed (for the position), but not mobility. He's a straight line runner. He's not going to break you down and make you miss ala Lamar Jackson. He's more Justin Fields in that regard. 

As DJ said during the combine, the ball jumps off McCarthy's hand. He tested second to Milton (elite arm) in velocity. Would be interested where they guys who didn't throw rank. 

He is more athletic than Carr, that's easy to see. He's an easy 4.5 guy and has some make you miss as a runner. Arm, probably similar but Carr has a nice arm. 

They both have traits that you can look at and say hey, those things project to being able to do them at a high level in the NFL. For Caleb that's pushing the ball down the field and being able to create off script and for Daniels that's being able to run effectively. 

Didn't he miss every deep throw he had at the combine except the one that floated on him forever?

Mahomes hit 55 MPH in the velocity drill at the combine, Anthony Richardson hit 54 MPH, while Kenny Pickett hit 54 MPH. Does Kenny Pickett have similar arm talent to Mahomes / Richardson? And since McCarthy hit higher does he have a stronger arm than those two?

His arm reminds me of Carr because he does have some arm strength but is super inconsistent with deep balls and balls seem to float on him.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

They go hand in hand because the only time he's looking to scramble is if he's pressured.

Well not necessarily. Because the other side of scrambling is when no one's open. How can you create when the play fails. That is another big reason why ability scrambling matters(bigger reason in my opinion).