Jordan Love Appreciation Thread

vegas492

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You and @MacReady are becoming eerily similar.

I'll take that as a compliment.

But seriously, temper your enthusiasm on Watson.  Last year when he hurt his hammy, he hurt it again after actually playing.

The kid is a tease, and I'm not just joking.  We all get caught up with how ungodly talented he is with his speed and acceleration, but we are blinded to the fact that he can't stay healthy and that drops are a problem with him.

I'd like nothing more than for him to actually be out there learning on the job and staying healthy, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen for him.  He's already missed 3 of 17 games.  

Counting on him to improve or change the offense is fools gold at this point and time.  

I hope I'm wrong, I hope the kid magically heals himself and can actually stay healthy, but that hasn't happened yet in his career.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

I'll take that as a compliment.

But seriously, temper your enthusiasm on Watson.  Last year when he hurt his hammy, he hurt it again after actually playing.

The kid is a tease, and I'm not just joking.  We all get caught up with how ungodly talented he is with his speed and acceleration, but we are blinded to the fact that he can't stay healthy and that drops are a problem with him.

I'd like nothing more than for him to actually be out there learning on the job and staying healthy, but it doesn't look like it is going to happen for him.  He's already missed 3 of 17 games.  

Counting on him to improve or change the offense is fools gold at this point and time.  

I hope I'm wrong, I hope the kid magically heals himself and can actually stay healthy, but that hasn't happened yet in his career.

Some guys do overcome hammies early in their career, others (Sammy Watkins) don't. I'm not giving up on the kid because of the undeniable talent. 

You love to play the pessimist. 

2 minutes ago, MacReady said:

Love has badly missed a lot of throws. The players have been open. He has badly missed them.

Many, yes.

But I watched 'Vante get open on every damn route he ran last night despite being doubled.  And I mean, really open.

I'd love to give Love a weapon like that to rely on.  Make the offense easier for him.

Instead we have kids with great physical skills who lack NFL experience and instincts right now.  But out of Musgrave, Doubs and Reed, one or two or all of them are going to get that, but it'll take a year or two.  Then Love is going to take off, just as they do.

I go back to this.  Hurts.  Last year in training camp there was film of him just being terrible throwing the ball downfield.  Then he and AJ Brown got cooking and his game took off.  Smith showed up.  But it took Jalen a few years and an elite player to get there.

I just feel like Love has everything Hurts has in terms of arm talent, and then some.  I feel like Love is a great competitor and the brain is doing just fine.  It's the talent around him that is lagging.  And it shouldn't lag for long, because the physical side and hopefully (work ethic) is there.  At least that is what I'm pinning my hopes on.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Many, yes.

But I watched 'Vante get open on every damn route he ran last night despite being doubled.  And I mean, really open.

I'd love to give Love a weapon like that to rely on.  Make the offense easier for him.

Instead we have kids with great physical skills who lack NFL experience and instincts right now.  But out of Musgrave, Doubs and Reed, one or two or all of them are going to get that, but it'll take a year or two.  Then Love is going to take off, just as they do.

I go back to this.  Hurts.  Last year in training camp there was film of him just being terrible throwing the ball downfield.  Then he and AJ Brown got cooking and his game took off.  Smith showed up.  But it took Jalen a few years and an elite player to get there.

I just feel like Love has everything Hurts has in terms of arm talent, and then some.  I feel like Love is a great competitor and the brain is doing just fine.  It's the talent around him that is lagging.  And it shouldn't lag for long, because the physical side and hopefully (work ethic) is there.  At least that is what I'm pinning my hopes on.

I choose to see it as genius planning by Gute.

Make Love struggle with the players he's going to rely on for the next ten years (Doubs, Reed, Musgrave), sign him to a deal cheaper than he's probably worth, be able to afford that next level weapon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Some guys do overcome hammies early in their career, others (Sammy Watkins) don't. I'm not giving up on the kid because of the undeniable talent. 

You love to play the pessimist. 

Uh, no, it is realism.

Dude had some sort of hammy issue in the two weeks prior to the opener and still hasn't suited up.  Expecting him to play and be healthy for the rest of the season is foolish.

He isn't going to change the offense.  You see Love spreading it around.  Watson will add to it, but his track record of staying healthy at this point and time is not good.

No one is denying the talent.  It's the injury history.  Dude should be kept in bubble wrap.

Just now, vegas492 said:

Uh, no, it is realism.

Dude had some sort of hammy issue in the two weeks prior to the opener and still hasn't suited up.  Expecting him to play and be healthy for the rest of the season is foolish.

He isn't going to change the offense.  You see Love spreading it around.  Watson will add to it, but his track record of staying healthy at this point and time is not good.

No one is denying the talent.  It's the injury history.  Dude should be kept in bubble wrap.

We can agree to disagree. I look forward to him coming back and proving the doubters wrong. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Many, yes.

Speaking of Hurts, we're eerily similar to the Eagles after they traded Wentz. Hurts ended up being a player and they made the playoffs during a rebuild year. Following year they made the super bowl. With our draft capital and cap space next year, we're going to be a top 3 team on paper heading into the season.

6 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Speaking of Hurts, we're eerily similar to the Eagles after they traded Wentz. Hurts ended up being a player and they made the playoffs during a rebuild year. Following year they made the super bowl. With our draft capital and cap space next year, we're going to be a top 3 team on paper heading into the season.

We don't have a ton of cap space next year. We also are going to need to extend Gary, possibly Savage if he keeps playing well and Love. 

It's not until 25 where he have a ton of cap space available. 

10 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

We can agree to disagree. I look forward to him coming back and proving the doubters wrong. 

I hope he does come back, and I hope he proves me wrong.

To me, at this point and time, Musgrave, Doubs and Reed are your offense.  Anything that you get from Watson is extra.

And this is probably me just being very, very disappointed that he couldn't make it out of camp healthy again.  It's such a waste because his skill set is so elite, except for the hands.  

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

We don't have a ton of cap space next year. We also are going to need to extend Gary, possibly Savage if he keeps playing well and Love. 

It's not until 25 where he have a ton of cap space available. 

Gary cap hit next year isn't gonna be that big and we're saving 21m on Bakh either by cutting or trading him. Aaron Jones also isn't gonna be playing on 18m. With salary cap projected to raise to 256m, we'll have about 50m to work with before Gary's extension. That's enough for a splash or 2 in free agency.

44 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Uh, no, it is realism.

Way too soon labeling him as injury prone . Way too soon. 

30 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

The absolute last thing I'm worried about this season is completion percentage. That'll improve with game reps and growth with this WR/TE group. I'd rather have what we had in Love at 50% yesterday than Josh Dobbs at 81%. 

Yep. He's complete 55% of difficult throws. He's been very impressive while missing some he should have hit (and will)

• Like 1