Camp/OTA News

ET80

34 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I’m worried. I’ve read that Mills has looked really bad and that stroud have made some plays but not looked great.

I’m not exactly worried, but tempering my expectations for this upcoming season with Stroud. When your top three are Nico Collins, Robert Woods and Noah Brown - it’s probably not a given you’ll look good.

36 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

But he’s a rookie, we don’t have good WRs and our secondary should be legit. 

I wonder how much of it is because of this. I mean, the talent in that secondary is really special…

• Like 1

I’m trying to temper my expectations for the secondary, but it’s getting harder and harder by the day.

Im sure most of the QB “struggles” are in 7 on 7 or such type environments where it’s tough when your secondary which is very talented only has to worry about coverage and hot the run. That mixed with a subpar WR group and a rookie QB isn’t a recipe for success. I just need to see the flashes of arm strength, touch, accuracy and progression analysis 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Interesting. Is he moving to guard or just gonna be a swing tackle who barely plays?

I think he's going to get snaps - just not as a starter. We like to think that the starting five play every snap of every game when healthy, but the truth is, they get rotated in and out like DL do nowadays. 

Fant might rotate in and out with Tytus Howard - maybe every 3rd drive, he gets in and gives Howard a breather. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ET80 said:

I think he's going to get snaps - just not as a starter. We like to think that the starting five play every snap of every game when healthy, but the truth is, they get rotated in and out like DL do nowadays. 

Fant might rotate in and out with Tytus Howard - maybe every 3rd drive, he gets in and gives Howard a breather. 

What am I reading here. Absolutely no chance. It's ridiculous statement. Tytus doesn't need a breather, and nobody is rotating tackles unless they're forced to... Fant is depth. Can never have enough depth at T in the NFL. Good addition. 

6 hours ago, OzzyTexan said:

What am I reading here. Absolutely no chance. It's ridiculous statement. Tytus doesn't need a breather, and nobody is rotating tackles unless they're forced to... Fant is depth. Can never have enough depth at T in the NFL. Good addition. 

So... I take it you never watched the 49ers? They rotate OL pretty much on a drive by drive basis. 

Keep in mind, the Texans have been ran by idiots the last 10 or so years. Just because we've never done it doesn't mean it's not done. 

Edit: This is pretty commonplace in the NFL. Remember - Bill O'Brien, David Culley and Lovie Smith aren't very smart at the whole football thing, so they don't necessarily do things that actually work, which is why this is a foreign concept... But it's actually pretty common everywhere else:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/.amp/news/why-giants-offensive-line-rotation-is-an-underrated-strategy

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2015/10/1/9428449/the-purpose-behind-rotating-offensive-linemen-during-the-game

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/10/09/detroit-lions-unusual-offensive-line-rotation/3921949002/

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

So... I take it you never watched the 49ers? They rotate OL pretty much on a drive by drive basis.  

No they don't. They aren't/weren't rotating Trent Williams (the best T in the game) or McGlinchey out. Thats what you're talking about here is subbing veteran established players. Good OL aren't getting subbed out for free agents added at the beginning of camp. 

10 hours ago, ET80 said:

Edit: This is pretty commonplace in the NFL. Remember - Bill O'Brien, David Culley and Lovie Smith aren't very smart at the whole football thing, so they don't necessarily do things that actually work, which is why this is a foreign concept... But it's actually pretty common everywhere else:

https://www.si.com/nfl/giants/.amp/news/why-giants-offensive-line-rotation-is-an-underrated-strategy

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2015/10/1/9428449/the-purpose-behind-rotating-offensive-linemen-during-the-game

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2019/10/09/detroit-lions-unusual-offensive-line-rotation/3921949002/

It is not commonplace in the NFL. Your Giants article from 2020 is referring to them rotating two rookie LT's who were being thrown to the fire. One of those rookies Andrew Thomas just got over 100 million on an extension with the Giants. Do they rotate him now?

The Patriots article from 2015... "In the first year, the Patriots rotated Marcus Cannon, Josh Kline, Cameron Fleming, and Jordan Devey at guard. That experiment turned out to be an abysmal failure"... the article also states that the best reason for rotating offensive lineman when you have talent and depth is to ease rookies into the NFL. Not rotate good players for a "breather" every few drives.

This 2019 lions article is good evidence for your argument. This to me still isn't commonplace in the NFL. I still don't fully buy it because they weren't rotating Ragnow or Decker like they did the guards. Probably their two best offensive lineman weren't rotated, but maybe they didn't have the depth behind those guys. For many NFL teams they won't have what they feel is good enough depth to ever rotate OLineman. 

Tytus won't be rotated for Fant unless injuries are the reason. 

7 minutes ago, OzzyTexan said:

No they don't. They aren't/weren't rotating Trent Williams (the best T in the game) or McGlinchey out. Thats what you're talking about here is subbing veteran established players. Good OL aren't getting subbed out for free agents added at the beginning of camp. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2022-snap-counts.htm

Here are snap counts and percentage of snaps played for the entire SF OL last season - by your logic, they should all read 100% snaps played for 4/5 starters (save for Williams, who missed three games).

Tell me, are they at 100%?

Why aren’t they?

1 hour ago, OzzyTexan said:

This 2019 lions article is good evidence for your argument. This to me still isn't commonplace in the NFL. I still don't fully buy it because they weren't rotating Ragnow or Decker like they did the guards.

I think when I say “rotation” you’re thinking I mean a 50/50 split like a RBBC. No, it’s heavily slanted towards your best five - but like any other position group, you get bodies in and out to keep your best players fresh. A 90/10 split works, that extra time getting air makes a difference. The only position that plays 100% of their snaps are QBs. Whether its for a breather or for a specific formation, guys get in and out nowadays.

Football is a war of attrition, and the biggest guys on the field aren’t immune to fatigue.

2 hours ago, ET80 said:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/sfo/2022-snap-counts.htm

Here are snap counts and percentage of snaps played for the entire SF OL last season - by your logic, they should all read 100% snaps played for 4/5 starters (save for Williams, who missed three games).

Tell me, are they at 100%?

Why aren’t they?

I don’t think the snap count argument helps your case here lol

they won 9 games by multiple TDs. That accounts for some snap count. If you look at their line, they played the overwhelming vast majority of the snaps with McGlinchey, Williams, Brendel and banks. 

I don’t suspect we paid Howard and Tunsil what we did to rotate them every 3rd or 4th series. They will be in there unless they are hurt, or the game is out of hand. Others wise I will believe we are still coached by idiots. 

5 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I don’t think the snap count argument helps your case here lol

they won 9 games by multiple TDs. That accounts for some snap count. If you look at their line, they played the overwhelming vast majority of the snaps with McGlinchey, Williams, Brendel and banks. 

I don’t suspect we paid Howard and Tunsil what we did to rotate them every 3rd or 4th series. They will be in there unless they are hurt, or the game is out of hand. Others wise I will believe we are still coached by idiots. 

Thank you. Couldn't agree more.