2018 Free Agency targets

AZBearsFan

I don’t think anyone is telling you that Landry is elite. But since their are no elite options available we need to settle on good. Yes, we are going to over pay for good, which is what happens in free agency.

I think 15 million is too much. I think 13-14 million is reasonable for a good WR (Jeffery-Adams) and it is also reasonable based on what other top, mostly slot players have been paid (Cobb-Baldwin).

Landry is not elite, he is not perfect, but he does things consistently that the Bears need.

In 2016 12 players had 140 targets plus 7 had less yardage than Landry and 5 had more. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tiny.fcgi?id=an6Dg

In 2017 8 had more and 1 had less. Which again is statistically his worst season in terms of yardage.

But none of these guys was primarily working out of the slot, which limits the yardage you can put up.

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

This offense needs difference makers.

At this point we need everything. We need consistent chain movers and playmakers.

Without playmakers in free agency, assuming Watkins and Robinson are tagged, let’s get an elite possession guy and look for our playmaker in the draft.

Because if we get 2017 Landry then we will be over paying a guy by 3-4 million/year, which is hardly crippling to us.

If we get 2016 Landry then we are getting a playmaker at a solid price.

We are facing the same thing with Fuller.

If we get 2017 Fuller we are getting a very good, but not elite CB who has some flaws (turnovers), for a good price.

If we get 2015-16 Fuller we are going to be over paying an injured and mediocre player by 8 million/season.

41 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

We are facing the same thing with Fuller.

If we get 2017 Fuller we are getting a very good, but not elite CB who has some flaws (turnovers), for a good price.

If we get 2015-16 Fuller we are going to be over paying an injured and mediocre player by 8 million/season.

The difference with Fuller is that we know him. With Landry we’d be acquiring a guy from whom his own team is DESPERATELY trying to move on. I can’t just ignore that. 

39 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

The difference with Fuller is that we know him. With Landry we’d be acquiring a guy from whom his own team is DESPERATELY trying to move on. I can’t just ignore that. 

They offered him a contract 2 times. Including right before they tagged him. They don’t want to lose him.

They have an absolute cap nightmare on their hands thanks to Tannenbaum.

So they are not desperately trying to get rid of him. They are desperately trying to get some value from him. If they were desperate to move on they would not have tagged him and taken a 16.2 million dollar risk.

11 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s not that he can’t catch at all - he’s got 52 catches in 2 years (82 targets). He’s just not reliable at it. You can’t throw to him in a key situation with confidence. That can largely be fixed or at least significantly improved upon through repetition though. I’d be surprised if they don’t send him home from minicamp with a jugs machine given the importance of the RB passing game to Nagy’s offense. 

True, it can be improved. Hopefully it's made a point of emphasis.

On a similar note, it wouldn't shock me at all to see Pace draft another RB given how loaded this class is. Reid uses a bellcow, but Pederson was rolling three RBs. I don't see a downside if they take a guy who can contribute and the coach staff has a vision for, especially if they shift Cohen to more of a hybrid role, although Howard does seem to take a good number of reps to get rolling.

Blount - 173/766/2

Ajayi - 70/408/1

Clement - 74/321/4

7 hours ago, ColGerBear said:

The rest of Mathieus contract after the trade would be 11/11/11/9.5m, without any guarantees since Arizona would have to get the cap hit for his signing bonus.

Edit: Looks like he's guaranteed his 2018 salary and 8m of 2019 if we trade for him.

If he's traded/cut Arizona would only take the hit for his signing bonus.

I completely missed that, good catch.

I could be on board with that actually.

There are 3 free agents that I think are a lock for the Bears based on connections, need, and opportunity for the player.

1. OG Zach Fulton

2. Aaron Lynch, needs some Fangio love

3. Albert Wilson, I think that this could happen even with a Landry trade.

I think the first 2 are slam dunk automatics. Lynch would give them a young guy to add to the competition and Fulton should start at LG and help with the system transition.

3 hours ago, WindyCity said:

They offered him a contract 2 times. Including right before they tagged him. They don’t want to lose him.

They have an absolute cap nightmare on their hands thanks to Tannenbaum.

So they are not desperately trying to get rid of him. They are desperately trying to get some value from him. If they were desperate to move on they would not have tagged him and taken a 16.2 million dollar risk.

They tagged him to get value now versus next year’s comp pick but they could make room for him by releasing other guys if he was THAT guy. They aren’t, because he’s not. They are choosing to get rid of him when they don’t have to because they know that paying him to be THAT guy is a gross overpayment for what he is. Their cap situation isn’t good but it’s not so bad that they couldn’t keep Landry if they thought he was worth what he’s gonna get elsewhere. Now that may not matter to you, but it’s very telling to me. 

1 hour ago, AZBearsFan said:

They tagged him to get value now versus next year’s comp pick but they could make room for him by releasing other guys if he was THAT guy. They aren’t, because he’s not. They are choosing to get rid of him when they don’t have to because they know that paying him to be THAT guy is a gross overpayment for what he is. Their cap situation isn’t good but it’s not so bad that they couldn’t keep Landry if they thought he was worth what he’s gonna get elsewhere. Now that may not matter to you, but it’s very telling to me. 

It is to the point that they cannot afford to keep him. It is that bad.

Even before they traded for Quinn they only had 8 million in space. They could get to 24 million with obvious cuts. There draft class is worth 7.5 million. So unless they could do an entire offseason with 17 million-Landry they were screwed.

They offered him a backloaded 13/season which he turned down.

To keep Landry in anyway they would have to cut Suh and eat 20 million in dead money split over 2 years.

They really did not and do not have the cap too keep him without blowing up their roster.

Same deal with Andrew Norwell. 

We are not in the same financial straits as the Dolphins.

Even if you view Landry as a luxury, we have more than enough money to spend on a luxury.

I don’t blame Landry for turning down a backloaded 13/season from the Dolphins and forcing their hand. 13/season is not unfair, but a backloaded deal puts all the control for the team and the risk for the player.

Random thought: Pace had a hideously disastrous time in free agency 2017, and he's now labeled as a guy who isn't aggressive in free agency, yet he signed Pernell McPhee in 2015 and Danny Trevethan in 2016, both announced shortly after 3pm at the start of the new league year, and both of those guys were considered to be some of the top FAs available in their respective years.

I think we're going to see Pace a little more active/aggressive this year (without going spend-crazy) because he has to. They just purged a bench of aging players and they're changing offensive schemes. The Bears can't make up for all of that in one draft.

1 minute ago, IronMike84 said:

Random thought: Pace had a hideously disastrous time in free agency 2017, and he's now labeled as a guy who isn't aggressive in free agency, yet he signed Pernell McPhee in 2015 and Danny Trevethan in 2016, both announced shortly after 3pm at the start of the new league year, and both of those guys were considered to be some of the top FAs available in their respective years.

I think we're going to see Pace a little more active/aggressive this year (without going spend-crazy) because he has to. They just purged a bench of aging players and they're changing offensive schemes. The Bears can't make up for all of that in one draft.

Striking early and not over spending don’t really go together.

Landing the first wave requires you to open the check book and close down negotiations with other teams.

Archived