2024 NBA Draft Discussion: Hawks, Wizards, Rockets and Spurs are 1-4.

Texansfan713

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Don't really see any prospect in this class as an "elite level" prospect at this point. It's a subpar class at the top.

Doesn’t look like a great class as of now. But I like Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Collier, Edwards, and Williams at the top of the draft. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Doesn’t look like a great class as of now. But I like Buzelis, Holland, Risacher, Collier, Edwards, and Williams at the top of the draft. 

If Colorado lets Williams run the point, he'll probably end up as my #1. Obviously that's dependent on his season but I like him better with the ball in his hands than off it. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

If Colorado lets Williams run the point, he'll probably end up as my #1. Obviously that's dependent on his season but I like him better with the ball in his hands than off it. 

My super early big board for 2024:

1. Zaccharie Risacher | GF | France (6'9 200) 

2. Ron Holland | GF | G-League (6'8 200) 

3. Cody Williams | GF | Colorado (6'8 180) 

4. Matas Buzelis | GF | G-League (6'10 195) 

5. Justin Edwards | GF | Kentucky (6'7 190)

6. Isaiah Collier | PG | USC (6'4 205)

7. Stephon Castle | GF | UConn (6'7 190)

8. DJ Wagner | PG | Kentucky (6'3 180)

9. Ja'Kobe Walter | CG | Baylor (6'5 185)

10. Aaron Bradshaw | C | Kentucky (7'1 220)

11. Jared McCain | PG | Duke (6'3 190)

12. Donovan Clingan | C | UConn (7'2 260)

13. Tyrese Proctor | CG | Duke (6'5 190)

14. Aday Maray | C | Spain (7'3 245)

51 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Don't really see any prospect in this class as an "elite level" prospect at this point. It's a subpar class at the top.

Things always change from now to next June.  I don't think anyone is elite as of right now but plenty will show potential and potential stars are more valuable to building a team than 1 year of Lebron.  It would IMO take a team that just missed the playoffs likely due to injury that moves up in the lottery or through a pick swap/trade situation and is trying one last time to make a run.  If this was two or three years ago Lebron and you can hope to get 3-5 years out of him, sure that would change things but 1 year of Lebron that is going to be 40-41, isn't making me change my draft plans.  And I think Bronny would still have to somehow show that he has potential/value on his own for a team to do it.  

2 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Things always change from now to next June.  I don't think anyone is elite as of right now but plenty will show potential and potential stars are more valuable to building a team than 1 year of Lebron.  It would IMO take a team that just missed the playoffs likely due to injury that moves up in the lottery or through a pick swap/trade situation and is trying one last time to make a run.  If this was two or three years ago Lebron and you can hope to get 3-5 years out of him, sure that would change things but 1 year of Lebron that is going to be 40-41, isn't making me change my draft plans.  And I think Bronny would still have to somehow show that he has potential/value on his own for a team to do it.  

I think Portland's probably the one team that could do it but they'd have to land that #1 pick. A team like Houston or San Antonio isn't going to make that type of sacrifice but Portland feels like they can compete as long as Dame is around and if they feel that bringing in LeBron to pair with Dame can get them to a title, they'd be open to taking Bronny in a class that doesn't have a surefire #1 pick. Not saying this class will be like the 2013 but, as we all know, not all #1 picks are created equally and if it means passing on an Anthony Bennett or Kwame Brown to chase a title, I'm sure Portland can live with that.

Now, if someone pops off and proves to be an exceptional talent, sure, the risk becomes much greater, but as it stands today, if I'm in Portland's shoes, I'll take one year of LeBron and a Bronny for 4+ over whoever is the other option. 

34 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I think Portland's probably the one team that could do it but they'd have to land that #1 pick. A team like Houston or San Antonio isn't going to make that type of sacrifice but Portland feels like they can compete as long as Dame is around and if they feel that bringing in LeBron to pair with Dame can get them to a title, they'd be open to taking Bronny in a class that doesn't have a surefire #1 pick. Not saying this class will be like the 2013 but, as we all know, not all #1 picks are created equally and if it means passing on an Anthony Bennett or Kwame Brown to chase a title, I'm sure Portland can live with that.

Now, if someone pops off and proves to be an exceptional talent, sure, the risk becomes much greater, but as it stands today, if I'm in Portland's shoes, I'll take one year of LeBron and a Bronny for 4+ over whoever is the other option. 

Bron/Dame in Portland isn't contending, IMO. So why sacrifice a potential core piece to pair with Scoot/Sharpe for a year of 34 year old Dame / 40 year old LeBron? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Bron/Dame in Portland isn't contending, IMO. So why sacrifice a potential core piece to pair with Scoot/Sharpe for a year of 34 year old Dame / 40 year old LeBron? 

Doesn't matter how you feel about it. If Portland (and Dame) feels like they can compete, they could make the move. Odds are they won't get the top pick anyways so this is all moot. 

Also, who's to say that Bronny isn't a fit with Scoot and Sharpe? Neither one of them can defend the perimeter for ****. 

My comparison would be, if this were the NFL, would you rather have Tom Brady for a year and draft a RB #1 or the chance to draft Jared Goff on his own? You're not likely passing on the chance to draft a Luck or Manning type prospect and by the time that you do have to make that decision, you'll know whether or not one of those prospects is a Manning or Luck.

Edited by beekay414

I think a team desperate for attention and money would take Bronny top 5 if LeBron was guaranteed to come with him, but probably not #1 or #2...presuming Bronny plays well this season and doesn't flame out, of course.

So many nationally televised games, jersey sales, sellout crowds, etc. That's worth overdrafting someone in a mediocre class, even for just 1 year if you're a team like Charlotte, Indiana, Washington, etc.

Just now, seminoles1 said:

I think a team desperate for attention and money would take Bronny top 5 if LeBron was guaranteed to come with him, but probably not #1 or #2...presuming Bronny plays well this season and doesn't flame out, of course.

So many nationally televised games, jersey sales, sellout crowds, etc. That's worth overdrafting someone in a mediocre class, even for just 1 year if you're a team like Charlotte, Indiana, Washington, etc.

If you're willing to go top 5, why not #1 or #2? The difference at the top is marginal to say the least.

9 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

My comparison would be, if this were the NFL, would you rather have Tom Brady for a year and draft a RB #1 or the chance to draft Jared Goff on his own? You're not likely passing on the chance to draft a Luck or Manning type prospect and by the time that you do have to make that decision, you'll know whether or not one of those prospects is a Manning or Luck.

If you’re picking in the top 5 there’s no way that you’re contending with LeBron. The one year retirement tour with Bron/Bronny would definitely be must see TV. Does passing on a guy that can be an All-Star level guy for a decade for an average prospect help the GM’s job security long term? 

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If you’re picking in the top 5 there’s no way that you’re contending with LeBron. The one year retirement tour with Bron/Bronny would definitely be must see TV. Does passing on a guy that can be an All-Star level guy for a decade for an average prospect help the GM’s job security long term? 

Did taking Anthony Bennett #1 overall or Kwame Brown help the GM's long term security? There's no can't miss prospect at the top and the money that LeBron would generate alone would be enough to make the ownership consider it. We're in a class where there's legitimately 8 guys that could go #1 on their own merit. That's not a class that I want to be picking #1 overall in. 

29 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Doesn't matter how you feel about it. If Portland (and Dame) feels like they can compete, they could make the move. Odds are they won't get the top pick anyways so this is all moot. 

Also, who's to say that Bronny isn't a fit with Scoot and Sharpe? Neither one of them can defend the perimeter for ****. 

Honestly I think for Portland it would probably make more sense to just trade Dame at that point if he gives an ultimatum.  Or at least trade #1 for #15 and do it there while getting other assets.  I just can't see a team being willing to throw away the top pick or even a top 10 pick for that.  I think Lebron would have to have already agreed to join for whatever it takes to fit in financially and it would have to be a team that is super close to even consider it IMO.  And teams like that just don't get the top pick often. 

I would be shocked if it happens in the lottery tbh, again unless Bronny balls out and earns it.  The mystique of Lebron just isn't what it used to be and even though he is beating father time right now, it will catch up and he will turn into the Wizards MJ.  And I am not throwing away a potential star or even a potential role player who is cheap for that.  

Like would you really want to pay Bronny 10-15 Mil a year to be the end of your bench or in the G League just to say Lebron played for your team?  

10 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Did taking Anthony Bennett #1 overall or Kwame Brown help the GM's long term security? There's no can't miss prospect at the top and the money that LeBron would generate alone would be enough to make the ownership consider it. We're in a class where there's legitimately 8 guys that could go #1 on their own merit. That's not a class that I want to be picking #1 overall in. 

Obviously there are busts, but drafting a bust at #1 and drafting a known bust you would be stuck with financially to host a Lebron farewell tour isn't likely a good idea either and likely will get you fired.  Either way, the number of teams that would be willing to do it in the lottery will likely be small, so if a team like Portland gets the top pick or a top 3 pick, they would trade back to do it. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Obviously there are busts, but drafting a bust at #1 and drafting a known bust you would be stuck with financially to host a Lebron farewell tour isn't likely a good idea either and likely will get you fired.  Either way, the number of teams that would be willing to do it in the lottery will likely be small, so if a team like Portland gets the top pick or a top 3 pick, they would trade back to do it. 

A known bust?