Cowboys cuts begin

textaz03

Cox had the world ahead of him before his injury. Really sad story for him. Almost like a rinse and repeat Friday Night Lights-ish story.

He was athletic, came into the league highly touted as a cover backer, and his one true big play in the league was sadly also his last, shredding up his knee on that incredible display of athletic ability from the Lb spot.

I really thought he would be something to hang onto for a decade. What Jaylon Smith was looking like he would be when Dallas paid him. Injury really derailed him.

Lol, I guess waived/injured is not a thing anymore, and it was just never reported? My bad.

Previously you could not put non-vested players straight to IR, but we did that with 4 players today, so it must have changed. I did a pretty deep search for how that works, and nowhere could I find someone who said that was no longer the case. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

2 hours ago, Dallas94Ware said:

Cox had the world ahead of him before his injury. Really sad story for him. Almost like a rinse and repeat Friday Night Lights-ish story.

He was athletic, came into the league highly touted as a cover backer, and his one true big play in the league was sadly also his last, shredding up his knee on that incredible display of athletic ability from the Lb spot.

I really thought he would be something to hang onto for a decade. What Jaylon Smith was looking like he would be when Dallas paid him. Injury really derailed him.

We seem to have awful luck with injuries derailing the careers of promising LB's here.

A little surprised we kept Thomas and Harper over Cox but can see it based on game action I watched.    We kept 6 safeties over Cox.   Should have also seen keeping Luepke over Davis after the Vegas game.   My other surprise was keeping Gallimore and only 8 OL on roster at this point.   

On 8/29/2023 at 5:59 PM, D82 said:

We seem to have awful luck with injuries derailing the careers of promising LB's here.

We certainly do. Overshown may be the next in that line too, sadly. Loved his college film, and it translated well. I didn't see him being a jackknife style do it all player like some projected, but he definitely had the ability to play that Bobby Wagner role in Quinn's defense, holding down that tackle-to-tackle area in both run defense and zone coverage. Would have been a great fit. 

On 8/29/2023 at 8:58 PM, quiller said:

A little surprised we kept Thomas and Harper over Cox but can see it based on game action I watched.    We kept 6 safeties over Cox.   Should have also seen keeping Luepke over Davis after the Vegas game.   My other surprise was keeping Gallimore and only 8 OL on roster at this point.   

Cox showed good field awareness and was a very willing tackler. Problem was, he was always second or third man in on the tackle. Rarely the first. He was slow in pursuit and slow to break from his coverage. His knee injury took away his greatest asset as a young player - his athletic ability.

It's sad that a good player loses his path in the NFL because he can no longer run and change direction the way he did before an injury, but that's business in the pros for any sport