GB's and Jerry Straps: Dallas at Vagiants

HDsportsfan

15 minutes ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Yeah, I think we’ve under-discussed the level of breakout performance this was. I think we  have a real player here.

And big props to frickin’ Dan Quinn, for realizing he could play linebacker at 205 lbs. Dude looked like JOK out there. 

The Bell Ringer

Markquese Mark

Slay Bell

The Bell Pepper

Bell Curve

we can workshop it

About Bell...

He is essentially playing the role Donovan Wilson played last season. In this system that role gets a ton of action, because it is very reaction based. If that offense lines up three wide, he is watching the middle field. If the offense comes out four wide, he mans up on the back. If it's a two receiver set, he seems to have more free reign to blitz. If the Tight End is to his side, it looks like he gets the choice based on coverage to blitz or assist in the middle field.

It's basically the same role that made what's his face in Seattle so popular. 

The one thing I hate about Madden is how linear the plays are. Receivers run their routes all the way through...no slowing down or stopping to account for finding gaps in zone. It's the same on D. The coverage is the coverage. No accounting for rover, owl, robber, wildcard whatever you want to nickname it, where the players coverage or blitz is dictated entirely by what the offense looks to be doing. A well coached unit on defense can make a wildcard assignment shine brightly as a true playmaker, be it from safety spot, linebacker, or that hybrid spot. I bring up Madden about this, because I feel it does a huge disservice to fans making them think these assignments are set in stone (or that routes are run precise and all the way through everytime). It takes away from the chess match that is really happening out there.

Wilson is damn good at it though. And while Bell looked good in this role as well, let's not be too eager for his work to increase at the expense of Wilson. Wilson screaming past the inside shoulder of the right tackle into the QBs face is a thing of beauty, and he created a ton of turnovers with his aggression and physical play. 

Bell looked great, and he very well could be a hell of a player. But I think when Wilson returns, Bell may be best suited as a situational cover linebacker on dime, since I think his sideline to sideline speed may be a bit faster than Wilson...but the majority of the work, Wilson has been near all pro level for more than a full season now.

Edited by Dallas94Ware