GB's and Jerry Straps: Dallas at Vagiants

HDsportsfan

Just now, matt79511 said:

GB: The defense. What percentage of the Giants plays today resulted in a sack, QB pressure, penalty, and/or turnover? Like, two thirds of them? Even our backups were punking them up 5-6 possessions.

JS: Me, for thinking our OL injuries would make this one close. Not quite!

Missed it by that >-< ,uch. you were close. Keep your head up 🤣

GB.  The team (less TE)

JS:  TE.   It says something in a total 40-0 beat down that you can find a JS

special shout out to the lesser knowns Bell - Thomas - they brought a intensity and physicality to the game that helped set the tone that the team was here to play. Wilson could have been missed but wasn’t tonight.  Reminds me a lot of how Pitts used to use Palumalu and his speed as a force from the safety spot to control the edge in place of a LB

Nice to see the good guys get a laugher.

GB- D/ST. Two of my fantasy teams thank you. Hit on all cylinders.

JS- Ferg-a-shot, maybe showed why Schoon was our 2nd rd pick. Their sophomore season started with a thud. 
Confidence will not be particularly high when we trot out our kicker again this year.

5 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Nice to see the good guys get a laugher.

GB- D/ST. Two of my fantasy teams thank you. Hit on all cylinders.

JS- Ferg-a-shot, maybe showed why Schoon was our 2nd rd pick. Their sophomore season started with a thud. 
Confidence will not be particularly high when we trot out our kicker again this year.

Anyone missing Schultz yet?

Game Balls

The entire defense - holy ish, did they dominate. Even if a mistake was made, they responded by either forcing a turnover or forcing a turnover on downs.

Jerry Straps

The TEs - the drops are inexcusable. Being out of sync with Dak is understandable since he didn’t play a snap in preseason. But dropping easy throws, which also would have led to at least 2 TDs, is not acceptable.

And while he doesn’t deserve a strap, Mike McCarthy has earned a dirty look for not playing Dak during preseason, because he was not good tonight. He looked out of step, and that’s because he he really hasn’t played.

1 hour ago, plan9misfit said:

Game Balls

The entire defense - holy ish, did they dominate. Even if a mistake was made, they responded by either forcing a turnover or forcing a turnover on downs.

Jerry Straps

The TEs - the drops are inexcusable. Being out of sync with Dak is understandable since he didn’t play a snap in preseason. But dropping easy throws, which also would have led to at least 2 TDs, is not acceptable.

And while he doesn’t deserve a strap, Mike McCarthy has earned a dirty look for not playing Dak during preseason, because he was not good tonight. He looked out of step, and that’s because he he really hasn’t played.

Hmmm.   Dak made a lot of really nice throws right on target the second half of this game and to be honest the first half as well.  The best Ive seen him throw in bad weather in his career.  You do realize just how hard it was raining this game.  It wasn’t just a light drizzle it was a heavy down pour.  

There are so many game balls…

The pass rush was fantastic.  The secondary repeatedly made big plays.  Pollard looked good.  The OL surprised me… i didn’t see a huge drop off with Tyler out. Juanyeh Thomas deserves an individual shoutout as his early plays started the avalanche.  

jockstraps… I don’t want to be overly knit picky but I expected more from the TEs.  My biggest criticism of the draft was taking Schoon in the second because I really liked our TEs potential.  They struggled tonight.  Throwing to TEs is Dak’s comfort zone.  We can’t have another performance like that from them.

7 hours ago, quiller said:

Hmmm.   Dak made a lot of really nice throws right on target the second half of this game and to be honest the first half as well.  The best Ive seen him throw in bad weather in his career.  You do realize just how hard it was raining this game.  It wasn’t just a light drizzle it was a heavy down pour.  

Given the general poor play from him (some from the weather, some from him not playing a meaningful snap until last night), he didn’t deserve a game ball. But, he also didn’t deserve a Jerry strap because the TEs didn’t do him any favors. 

7 hours ago, The_Slamman said:

Juanyeh Thomas deserves an individual shoutout as his early plays started the avalanche.  

Pumped for Juanyeh, what a debut.

If anyone hasn’t read his story, it’s unreal. Guy  is worth rooting for. https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/cowboys/2023/08/29/cowboys-juanyeh-thomas-path-to-nfl-roster-stability-includes-home-fire-sleeping-in-rest-stops/?outputType=amp

• Like 1

Game balls: Gee, where do I start?

DEFENSE:

Markquese Bell(who?): Casually Leads the team in total tackles and had a forced fumble. …again… who is this guy? I don’t remember a Bell. 

Osa Odighizuwa: TWO SACKS from our resident 3tech. Good pass rushing 3 techs have 5-7+ sacks a year. That’s nearly a half-years worth of sack production from Osa in one game. 

Micah Parsons: Boy he walks so others can run. Not to discredit the other defenders but a couple names above him and below him on this list can probably thank MP for their success. He was being doubled, tripled, chipped, cut, and of course held all game. He still managed to get multiple hurries including the play that S.Gilmore got his pick from, and another that herded D.Jones right into Osa(while being doubled), and he still registered his own sack. 

Dorance Armstrong: Armstrong is the other other edge rusher. Still he had 5 sacks in the first 6 weeks of last season. He is off to another hot start this year. 2 sacks in this game. 

Juanyeh Thomas: A blocked FG, 2 tackles, and a pass deflection on Waller.  Also passed the eye test. Especially on the first couple of series. And like Bell this guy is coming out of nowhere. 

LVE: Played really well in the playoffs last year, and we didn’t know if we were going to be able to retain him for this season. He came back and picked up where he left off. Tied for the team lead in solo tackles, and was, along with Parsons, part of the reason S.Gilmore got his first pick as a Dallas Cowboy. 

Trevon Diggs: The newly paid superstar did everything except get a pick. He put the hit(yes Diggs(!) with a hit) on Barkley that popped the ball in the air for his buddy DeRon Bland to return for a pick 6. He also had a beautiful strip negating what would have been the Giants best play of the game. His coverage along with Gilmore and Bland no doubt also played a role in the 7 sacks we were able to tally. Elite performance from our CB1. 

Stephon Gilmore: Welcome to Dallas! Gilly Lock being on the other side of Diggs is scary. As mentioned above his coverage deserves some credit for the sack total, as D.Jones often had to pull the ball down and run with it or he got plowed behind the LOS. With Gilmore finishing 3rd on the team in tackles and coming away with an interception in week 1, his skills remain seemingly intact in his age 33 season. Might be time to think about another 2 year deal after this 1 year deal. 

DaRon Bland: Had the most interceptions by any Rookie in the NFL last year and he starts the year in off with a pick 6. Had some questions about his role coming in with the addition of Gilmore, and Lewis somewhat surprisingly being brought back. Off to a good start with 20% of his INT production from last year matched after 1 game. This will be his first full year as a solid contributor as he didn’t really start playing for us until week 7 last year. 

Chauncy Gholston: The former 3rd round pick was able to see action late in the game because of the blowout. The DE turned 3T came in and dominated the RG for two sacks back to back. Sure only one counted but the fact he was able to come back and get another one for good measure after they erased the first was impressive. 

Jayron Kearse: Leads the team in assisted tackles. Seemingly helping in on every stop. 

DLaw: Respect to the 31 year old for getting a sack week one. 

Jonathan Hankins and Mazi Smith: Grew roots in the middle of the D Line, and was observed collapsing the pocket. Did well to hold the league’s most talented RB to 51 yards on 12 totes. Mazi even one upped Hankins by having a TFL. 

Sam Williams: Was very fast off the snap. Perhaps too fast. He was obviously timing the snap and almost had it. His sack was called back for offsides but it was so close they didn’t blow the play dead even though he was unabated to the QB. Still because he hit the QB he gets a game ball in a 40-0 blowout. 

Offense:

Surprisingly there isn’t much to list here despite the score. The rain prevented either team from really airing it out. 

Zack Martin: Absolutely handled Dexter Lawrence. The man deserves whatever contract he wants. 

Tyron Smith and Terrence Steele: All offseason we talked about the injuries of these two and how Tyler Smith will inevitably be asked to slide out to tackle in relief of one or the other. Alas, week one has come and gone. Tyler Smith was the only one of the 3 to not be ready and the Giants weren’t allowed a sack. 

Tyler Biadasz: Was manhandled by Dexter Lawrence but was good on the 2nd level. Blocking downfield allowed him to recover the fumble from Tony Pollard and keep our eventual TD drive alive. 

Tony Pollard: Finally the RB 1 in Dallas. Didn’t do anything except have 5.125 yards per touch, 6 first downs, and 2 Touchdowns. 

CD Lamb: 4 catches, 19.3 yards per catch, and 3 first downs. Pretty nice receiving stats considering the weather. 

Jockstraps: 

Jake Ferguson: I know it’s raining but catch the ******* ball. How many drops did he have? At least two

Hendershot: You better lose yourself in the music the moment, you want it, you better never let it go hey you only get one shot. AND YOU DROP IT!? Bring on Schoonmaker ffs!

Deuce Vaughn: I know, I know… the entire defense knew we were running the ball for clock purposes and there was no threat of a pass BUT, 6 carries for 8 yards? Gross. He needs to Deuce a little better next time. 

Will McClay: You passed on JPJ, and Bergeron because Mazi “helps us now and in the future.” Meanwhile Mazi is part of the 2nd wave of defenders now, not the first, and we have a nobody at LG. We have TE after TE dropping the ball and our 2nd round pick isn’t able to see the field? 3rd rounder Overshown is out for the year and is 24 next season. 4th rounder Fehoko is inactive. 5th rounder Richards can’t beat out Chuma Edoga for the LG spot? 6th rounder Deuce Vaughn had less than 2 ypc on 6 carries. And our other 6th, and 7th rounders were inactive. Obviously this has PLENTY of time to turn around but there were a lot of detractors for this draft class and week 1 did little to suggest they are wrong. 

Edited by DaBoys

SO many game balls to go around.

Juanyeh Thomas- to be on the bubble and come in and make an immediate impact is noteworthy. His coverage on DW was impressive

Marquese Bell- made plays all night and was quick to the ball

Treveon Diggs- way to play lockdown coverage and be PHYSICAL.

Micah Parsons- He's just way too dominant and applied pressure all night

Dorrance Armstrong- He's had a quiet offseason but came in and played well

Welcome to Dallas Stephon Gilmore !

Jockstraps

- none for me.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:15 PM, DaBoys said:

Markquese Bell(who?): Casually Leads the team in total tackles and had a forced fumble. …again… who is this guy? I don’t remember a Bell. 

Yeah, I think we’ve under-discussed the level of breakout performance this was. I think we  have a real player here.

And big props to frickin’ Dan Quinn, for realizing he could play linebacker at 205 lbs. Dude looked like JOK out there. 

• Like 1