Justin Fields

JibjeResearch

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't remember a QB who might be out getting this much support from other pros before...certainly wasn't like this when we were about to drop Trubisky...

Not saying it changes anything but again it is part of the evaluation & equation.

I was just thinking about this this morning. Lets say we lose to the lions and browns, but beat the falcons, packers, and cardinals. that puts us at 7-9, which is kinda what we expected this season anyways. If Flus finishes the year 7-9 with 3 straight wins, including the packers at GB, i could see him staying. and if he stays, would the bears actually keep justin so they don't misalign another coach and QB?

If that happens, what if they take MHJ #1 (thanks Carolina) and then take Bowers at #8 or so (idk where we would pick and i'm too lazy to look). This takes the "surround him with talent but also set up the next guy" pretty well. Two #1 WRs and two potential #1 TEs, plus our stable of backs and an OL that is a C away from being ~top 12 in the league.  

28 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

I was just thinking about this this morning. Lets say we lose to the lions and browns, but beat the falcons, packers, and cardinals. that puts us at 7-9, which is kinda what we expected this season anyways. If Flus finishes the year 7-9 with 3 straight wins, including the packers at GB, i could see him staying. and if he stays, would the bears actually keep justin so they don't misalign another coach and QB?

If that happens, what if they take MHJ #1 (thanks Carolina) and then take Bowers at #8 or so (idk where we would pick and i'm too lazy to look). This takes the "surround him with talent but also set up the next guy" pretty well. Two #1 WRs and two potential #1 TEs, plus our stable of backs and an OL that is a C away from being ~top 12 in the league.  

As the old saying goes...this is why you play a full season...

After the first two months of the season no one could have convinced me there was any reason to keep Flus...now I am not so sure what to think...if behind this defence & Fields' play we do manage to get to 7 maybe even 8 wins then I am not sure any of us were asking for more than that at the start of the season...now again we need to go out and do that over the next five games...but if we do then I think it becomes tougher to say these guys should go...

I also think it is a really valid point that we don't want to mis-align a HC & QB again...so it is almost a package deal...

Win those games...keep Flus and keep Fields then surround QB1 with talent.

Lose those games...fire Flus then move on from Fields and give a new offensive minded HC his own QB in the form of Caleb/Maye.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

As the old saying goes...this is why you play a full season...

After the first two months of the season no one could have convinced me there was any reason to keep Flus...now I am not so sure what to think...if behind this defence & Fields' play we do manage to get to 7 maybe even 8 wins then I am not sure any of us were asking for more than that at the start of the season...now again we need to go out and do that over the next five games...but if we do then I think it becomes tougher to say these guys should go...

I also think it is a really valid point that we don't want to mis-align a HC & QB again...so it is almost a package deal...

Win those games...keep Flus and keep Fields then surround QB1 with talent.

Lose those games...fire Flus then move on from Fields and give a new offensive minded HC his own QB in the form of Caleb/Maye.

It's for sure a move I could see traditional Bears management making, especially if the wins coming at the end of the year erase some memories about weird coaching decisions like Lions, Broncos etc.  Good point about the package deal, as I don't think you can say this team is in a good spot to develop a rookie QB.

9 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

If the Bears take a WR at number 1 when they could get a historic haul for that pick I will run into traffic. In this scenario I hope to god they move back where they can still get a WR with elite potential and acquire even more future talent. 

15 hours ago, Docknstein11 said:

If the Bears take a WR at number 1 when they could get a historic haul for that pick I will run into traffic. In this scenario I hope to god they move back where they can still get a WR with elite potential and acquire even more future talent. 

do we know they could get a historic haul? If i told you that MHJ was going to have a larry fitzgerald career in chicago would you still run into traffic because of something they may or may not get? potential is a hell of a drug and has gotten a lot of people fired. MHJ is already elite, and we need those players, not guys that may or may not become elite

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

do we know they could get a historic haul? If i told you that MHJ was going to have a larry fitzgerald career in chicago would you still run into traffic because of something they may or may not get? potential is a hell of a drug and has gotten a lot of people fired. MHJ is already elite, and we need those players, not guys that may or may not become elite

I was going to say something similar. At what point do they stop trading down and take an elite prospect? It's easy to say "get a 1st this year and next + a few 2's or 3's" but then we'll say the same **** next year if the 1st is in the top 3. They can't continue to do that for forever

Obviously TJ isn't about to come out and say Fields sucks but it is another example of a guy just really saying more than he would have too if he didn't really feel strongly about it...again never heard this type of things from pros about Trubisky...a decision to move on from a young QB all the locker room can see was put in bad spots at time is another part of the equation...if they all love him and all want to play for him (and Flus in many ways) that also needs to play a part in Poles' decision.

3 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

Obviously TJ isn't about to come out and say Fields sucks but it is another example of a guy just really saying more than he would have too if he didn't really feel strongly about it...again never heard this type of things from pros about Trubisky...a decision to move on from a young QB all the locker room can see was put in bad spots at time is another part of the equation...if they all love him and all want to play for him (and Flus in many ways) that also needs to play a part in Poles' decision.

its the ultimate "do you go with the locker room and grab MHJ and maybe Bowers to give JF one last spin and if not then you set your future QB up for better success?"  OR  "most GMs would kill to be in this position to grab a potential franchise QB and you just can't pass that up twice in a row" 

there's no doubt JF could probably improve a handful of teams around the league and he likely still has talent that can be drawn out if utilized properly, but does poles want to roll forward with a top 15-22 QB in the league or attempt to get a guy that could be top 10 in a couple years? 

8 minutes ago, HuskieBear said:

its the ultimate "do you go with the locker room and grab MHJ and maybe Bowers to give JF one last spin and if not then you set your future QB up for better success?"  OR  "most GMs would kill to be in this position to grab a potential franchise QB and you just can't pass that up twice in a row" 

there's no doubt JF could probably improve a handful of teams around the league and he likely still has talent that can be drawn out if utilized properly, but does poles want to roll forward with a top 15-22 QB in the league or attempt to get a guy that could be top 10 in a couple years? 

Here is the issue for me with ranking QBs...

Is Brock Purdy a top 5 QB in this league?...because all his numbers say he is comfortably in that conversation...but I think most of us understand it's the coach/scheme/weapons/defence he has around him that are bringing those numbers out of him...put him in this scheme is he putting up those numbers?

Jalen Hurts is the same argument for me...

For me there are usually 3-4 top QBs at any one time in the league who no matter the scheme or the people around them would still produce...right now that is Mahomes/Allen/Burrow...could maybe make the argument for Lamar/Herbert...other than that the likes of Purdy/Hurts/Tua/Lawrence are all improved by the talent they have around them...the last 3 & especially last 2 were viewed as potential busts early in their career and have seen a turn around thanks to McDaniels/Peterson...

I never think Fields will be one of those true top 3-4...but can he be propped up to a "top 10" QB with the right coaching/scheme/playcalling/weapons like some of those guys? 100% IMO...the challenge is finding that perfect fit.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 7:49 AM, HuskieBear said:

At 7-9, the Bears must go with Jim Harbaugh.  He either keeps JF1 or goes with Williams. 

The Bears should keep JF1 and trade down to get more draft capitals and build the defense.  With JF1, the Bears just need to sign or draft a OC and WR and get a better swingOT.  MHJ is the preferred option, but there are other WRs who can play with Moore.   The Bears could have 3 firstRounders and 3 secondRounders next year (2025) if they trade correctly.

Edited by JibjeResearch

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

Here is the issue for me with ranking QBs...

Is Brock Purdy a top 5 QB in this league?...because all his numbers say he is comfortably in that conversation...but I think most of us understand it's the coach/scheme/weapons/defence he has around him that are bringing those numbers out of him...put him in this scheme is he putting up those numbers?

Jalen Hurts is the same argument for me...

For me there are usually 3-4 top QBs at any one time in the league who no matter the scheme or the people around them would still produce...right now that is Mahomes/Allen/Burrow...could maybe make the argument for Lamar/Herbert...other than that the likes of Purdy/Hurts/Tua/Lawrence are all improved by the talent they have around them...the last 3 & especially last 2 were viewed as potential busts early in their career and have seen a turn around thanks to McDaniels/Peterson...

I never think Fields will be one of those true top 3-4...but can he be propped up to a "top 10" QB with the right coaching/scheme/playcalling/weapons like some of those guys? 100% IMO...the challenge is finding that perfect fit.

I think JF1 can be around top 5 if he has the OL and WRs.