The 2024 Commanders NFL Draft Thread

MikeT14

9 hours ago, Slappy Mc said:

I have been saying this about every QB prospect and it's no less true now. The fact that McCarthy went from late 1st at best to possible 2nd overall pick, is as good example as any. It's ridiculous how overrated these QBs get and then it's really hard to live up to the hype, doesn't matter who they are. 

Maye didn't though. Maye has been considered a top 3 pick for two years now. Same with Caleb. 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I feel like the legend of Jayden Daniels has now outgrown the actual prospect. He's turning into this flawless QB who never struggled and isn't skinny and can make every throw and yadda yadda yadda.

I have not seen anyone talking about him this way as flawless. Far from it. We don't see eye to eye on Daniels, and that's fine. Just because someone said something nice about him, doesn't mean they're calling him perfect/flawless. 

9 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I think taking Daniels is a mistake. I will reiterate this up until he's drafted and shows me otherwise.

At least you're not beating around the bush anymore trying to convince us you'd be okay with the pick. Rip the band-aid off and admit it would be a disaster and you'd rather do anything else after Maye but draft Daniels. 

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Last thing I could think of was Baker Mayfield on who was #1. I remember it felt like it was Darnold's to lose and then he did. 

Yeah, that's probably the closest comparison. Although that wouldn't bode well for Maye lol

1 minute ago, MikeT14 said:

I have not seen anyone talking about him this way as flawless. Far from it. We don't see eye to eye on Daniels, and that's fine. Just because someone said something nice about him, doesn't mean they're calling him perfect/flawless. 

At least you're not beating around the bush anymore trying to convince us you'd be okay with the pick. Rip the band-aid off and admit it would be a disaster and you'd rather do anything else after Maye but draft Daniels. 

“Well, first and foremost, when you get up close with Jayden Daniels, you see that this is a guy who’s 6’4, almost 210 pounds. For everyone who’s concerned about his build, you need to stop being concerned, because his lower half, he’s put together well, like a 220-225 pounder.”

“Now, as far as his movement, the way he threw it short, intermediate, deep; he is as fluid as any quarterback you’ve seen come out. He reminded me a lot yesterday of CJ Stroud when I went to his pro day. The ball absolutely explodes out of his hand, tight spiral, he can change speeds, change arm angles. He can put the ball right where it needs to be put both horizontally and vertically.”

-Luis Riddick

“I felt the same way. CJ has been the comp for me. I know how heavy that is because CJ just had the greatest rookie season arguably in the history of the NFL.”

-Dan Orlovsky 

Half the stuff Luis said simply isn't true. He doesn't change arm angles. He hardly ever attacks the intermediate parts of the field. He's not thickly built. Its craziness. Both of these guys have him over Caleb. 

@MikeT14 Have I ever cared to try and convince anyone on here that I feel differently than I do? I did originally like some of what Daniels brought to the table. I was scared of his running and the hits he took but I thought he'd learn to protect himself. The more and more I watched and read the worse it seemed to get. The Nate Tice write up scared me a lot. His pressure to sack rate is through the roof. He takes off and runs far too frequently with receivers available to him. He doesn't have the build to sustain major hits in and out of the pocket. He doesn't have the best arm strength and he doesn't make a fair amount of NFL throws. 

He does however have tremendous mechanics and a smooth throwing motion. I love that aspect of his game. I just think if we pick him I will be fearful almost every game that he gets hurt. I also think we're going to have a tough time if we get him to this level and find out he can't make tight window throws. It will totally hamper our offense and NFL defenses will just eat him alive. 

11 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

“Well, first and foremost, when you get up close with Jayden Daniels, you see that this is a guy who’s 6’4, almost 210 pounds. For everyone who’s concerned about his build, you need to stop being concerned, because his lower half, he’s put together well, like a 220-225 pounder.”

“Now, as far as his movement, the way he threw it short, intermediate, deep; he is as fluid as any quarterback you’ve seen come out. He reminded me a lot yesterday of CJ Stroud when I went to his pro day. The ball absolutely explodes out of his hand, tight spiral, he can change speeds, change arm angles. He can put the ball right where it needs to be put both horizontally and vertically.”

-Luis Riddick

“I felt the same way. CJ has been the comp for me. I know how heavy that is because CJ just had the greatest rookie season arguably in the history of the NFL.”

-Dan Orlovsky 

Half the stuff Luis said simply isn't true. He doesn't change arm angles. He hardly ever attacks the intermediate parts of the field. He's not thickly built. Its craziness. Both of these guys have him over Caleb. 

Praise is different than how you described him. He obviously has talent, we all know that. He does things differently than the other QBs and that's fine too. I feel like he might have the best mid-range accuracy of the four. He also probably has the worst outside the hashes throws. Is it wrong that people are praising his skills? Of course there will be people that have him #1. It's not a majority. We've seen people with Maye #1. 

6 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

@MikeT14 Have I ever cared to try and convince anyone on here that I feel differently than I do? I did originally like some of what Daniels brought to the table. I was scared of his running and the hits he took but I thought he'd learn to protect himself. The more and more I watched and read the worse it seemed to get. The Nate Tice write up scared me a lot. His pressure to sack rate is through the roof. He takes off and runs far too frequently with receivers available to him. He doesn't have the build to sustain major hits in and out of the pocket. He doesn't have the best arm strength and he doesn't make a fair amount of NFL throws. 

He does however have tremendous mechanics and a smooth throwing motion. I love that aspect of his game. I just think if we pick him I will be fearful almost every game that he gets hurt. I also think we're going to have a tough time if we get him to this level and find out he can't make tight window throws. It will totally hamper our offense and NFL defenses will just eat him alive. 

That's your opinion and it's entirely possible.  I disagree Lamar was a better prospect coming out. Daniels is ahead of him on accuracy to start. Lamar was able to develop and develop well with NFL coaches catering to his strengths. I would hope NFL coaching would help Daniels as well.

There's plenty to be wary of with all these QBs including Maye and Daniels. I personally just find it tough to keep going through posts where I feel like you're pretending Daniels is okay when it's not. It feels like it's Maye or bust for you, and that's okay. If you want to take your comments of "you have to take a QB" and "it's Maye or it's a disaster", and I just need to separate them into their own worlds, I will try. But it was hard to do when I feel like 80% of your posts about JD come off as him being a sure fire bust. 

46 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Praise is different than how you described him. He obviously has talent, we all know that. He does things differently than the other QBs and that's fine too. I feel like he might have the best mid-range accuracy of the four. He also probably has the worst outside the hashes throws. Is it wrong that people are praising his skills? Of course there will be people that have him #1. It's not a majority. We've seen people with Maye #1. 

That's your opinion and it's entirely possible.  I disagree Lamar was a better prospect coming out. Daniels is ahead of him on accuracy to start. Lamar was able to develop and develop well with NFL coaches catering to his strengths. I would hope NFL coaching would help Daniels as well.

There's plenty to be wary of with all these QBs including Maye and Daniels. I personally just find it tough to keep going through posts where I feel like you're pretending Daniels is okay when it's not. It feels like it's Maye or bust for you, and that's okay. If you want to take your comments of "you have to take a QB" and "it's Maye or it's a disaster", and I just need to separate them into their own worlds, I will try. But it was hard to do when I feel like 80% of your posts about JD come off as him being a sure fire bust. 

I don’t think he’s a sure fire bust. But I also think he’s a clear #3 in this class. My top QB is Caleb but we have no shot at him. I’ve said before multiple times if Maye wasn’t in this draft then I’d have no issues with Daniels at 2. I still wouldn’t think it’s a great pick but he would clearly be the second best QB prospect and we almost have to take the chance.

If I said he’s going to be a disaster then it was hyperbole but I do think he’s going to have issues at the next level with his hero ball and taking big hits. He’s frail. We can all see the highlights and the pics and the dude is just not built to take hits yet he constantly puts himself in that position. 

And to be fair, I have never been a big Daniels fan. This entire season to me was a bit of a mirage. He almost never has pressure in his face and when he does he doesn’t deal with it well. This entire fanbase killed Sam for the sacks he was taking but we want to take a guy who’s even worse at it? It just doesn’t make sense to me. And while I don’t think he’s a sure fire bust I think his bust probability is very high. He’s an older prospect, he’s a bit frail and he didn’t break out until his 5th season when he was surrounded with an insane amount of talent. A lot of times those are bad signs for a QB entering the NFL. 

Also, I’m slightly amused by the excuses made for Daniels play at ASU as him being on a bad team with bad coaching but somehow Maye doesn’t get that same treatment? Maye was on a bad team with bad coaching and he regressed. You can say I’m biased to Maye and that’s fine but let’s not pretend these media folk aren’t doing the same exact thing. 

5 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Also, I’m slightly amused by the excuses made for Daniels play at ASU as him being on a bad team with bad coaching but somehow Maye doesn’t get that same treatment? Maye was on a bad team with bad coaching and he regressed. You can say I’m biased to Maye and that’s fine but let’s not pretend these media folk aren’t doing the same exact thing. 

Again, I haven't seen a lot of what you're hearing, but I also don't watch a lot of Pac-12 ball compared to ACC ball, so I can't speak as much to JD's ASU time. HIs COVID year was off to a hot start through the 4 games which is all they played. I don't know/remember if people ever had ASU teams as conference title contenders, but I think people fully expected UNC to compete to go to the ACC Championship again. The idea that UNC had bad teams (weren't they like 8-1 at one point in 2022?) seems to be hindsight and not expectations going in. I don't know that they were predicted to go again, can't remember, but I doubt 7-5 with 4-4 ACC play was on a lot of radars too. 

53 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Again, I haven't seen a lot of what you're hearing, but I also don't watch a lot of Pac-12 ball compared to ACC ball, so I can't speak as much to JD's ASU time. HIs COVID year was off to a hot start through the 4 games which is all they played. I don't know/remember if people ever had ASU teams as conference title contenders, but I think people fully expected UNC to compete to go to the ACC Championship again. The idea that UNC had bad teams (weren't they like 8-1 at one point in 2022?) seems to be hindsight and not expectations going in. I don't know that they were predicted to go again, can't remember, but I doubt 7-5 with 4-4 ACC play was on a lot of radars too. 

UNC had the 94th ranked defense in college football. A new OC who apparently was running a terrible offense by most accounts and one guy to throw to who has major drop issues that didn't play until week 5 I think it was. He did have a good RB though so I guess there's that. 

I mean, like I said, we have guys who were absolutely shredding Howell last year for making his offensive line look worse by taking sacks saying Daniels historically bad pressure to sack ratio really doesn't mean much i.e. JP Finlay. So yes, the excuses for Daniels are getting ridiculous. And I don't think Maye is a flawless prospect and there are somethings Daniels does that's better. My opinion is the bad stuff for Daniels is very bad and its alarming and being overlooked. 

18 hours ago, lavar703 said:

Well Adam Schefter seems to think its Daniels. Basically said you can pencil it in. That's a bit of a downer. Not going to lie lol

The thing to remember with this was he penciled in Mac Jones to the Niners as well. We just really aren't going to know until it's close I think. 

@MikeT14 Just FYI, I don't hate Daniels. I don't think he sucks and I don't think it would be a disaster of a pick. I just think Maye has the much higher upside. I could be completely wrong in my assessment as it wouldn't be the first time. If we pick Daniels I'll immediately start rooting for him like I do anybody we pick. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

@MikeT14 Just FYI, I don't hate Daniels. I don't think he sucks and I don't think it would be a disaster of a pick. I just think Maye has the much higher upside. I could be completely wrong in my assessment as it wouldn't be the first time. If we pick Daniels I'll immediately start rooting for him like I do anybody we pick. 

I'm just trying to relay to you that it doesn't read that way, and it's hard to discern through what you really believe. I want Maye too, but I would be more than happy with us picking Daniels. Your posts read like the latter would be a disaster. Do I think you'll root for JD? Yes. Do I think you'll go scorched earth on his first sign of trouble? Yes. Like I don't see any way how your first post, assuming we draft JD, won't be something like "this pick was a mistake, it won't end well, and we're going to regret it." You don't see that? 

Like I said, I am going to work on trying to separate the two thoughts for you too, but it reads the same way to me about your opinion of JD and JJ and I know you don't want him (neither do I). 

9 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm just trying to relay to you that it doesn't read that way, and it's hard to discern through what you really believe. I want Maye too, but I would be more than happy with us picking Daniels. Your posts read like the latter would be a disaster. Do I think you'll root for JD? Yes. Do I think you'll go scorched earth on his first sign of trouble? Yes. Like I don't see any way how your first post, assuming we draft JD, won't be something like "this pick was a mistake, it won't end well, and we're going to regret it." You don't see that? 

Like I said, I am going to work on trying to separate the two thoughts for you too, but it reads the same way to me about your opinion of JD and JJ and I know you don't want him (neither do I). 

Because as of right now, that's how I feel lol. I'm still going to root for the dude if he's the pick. I'll absolutely want him to succeed. Its not like I'm going to actively root for him to fail. That doesn't help the team at all. Hell, if we decided to take Bo Nix at 2 I'd go scorched earth but then I'd want him to succeed.