Move Bud Dupree to ILB

JLambert58

Buds tape was up and down at Kentucky. His LSU game stood out for pass rushing as I recall , but the one thing that was consistent was his ability to drop into coverage. I rated Bud pretty high in that class not because of his measurable numbers but because of the physical traits he displayed on the field. His ability to rush and drop were uncommon, thing that held him back was the show up or no show game to game rushing the passer.  My concern would be that playing ILB is an instinctual thing. Truthfully I was not fond of Shazier's instincts even still, he was better than Timmons in this regard but played a lot more catch and chase in college than attack. Vince Williams on the other hand was pretty good instinctually at the position and could bring the hammer as well. Of course Spence was extremely instinctual but undersized and then the injury :/

Honestly, we do have the personnel to play 4-3, no I'm not suggesting to play 4-3 all the way. Just packages of the 4-3-4, 3-3-5, and 2-3-6. I think we need to accept that we won't be able to replace Shazier, not even within the half of his performance, only Vince Williams can. Vince Williams is the closest player to Shazier on our roster and it's not even close. We could in a theory, move Vince to Mack position and play Dirty Red as a Buck, but that doesn't really improve the situation itself.

James Harrison and Anthony Chickillo both can play on dirt sparingly, let Watt and Dupree play in the coverage, they both have been decent in that area, don't change it. You could shift Heyward or Tuitt to inside occasionally and they already have done this. It would help us sealing the pitch runs and edges. 

I'm just surprised we shifted our attention toward the iLB position rather than... Say, free safety where the big issue is at.

1 hour ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Buds tape was up and down at Kentucky. His LSU game stood out for pass rushing as I recall , but the one thing that was consistent was his ability to drop into coverage. I rated Bud pretty high in that class not because of his measurable numbers but because of the physical traits he displayed on the field. His ability to rush and drop were uncommon, thing that held him back was the show up or no show game to game rushing the passer.  My concern would be that playing ILB is an instinctual thing. Truthfully I was not fond of Shazier's instincts even still, he was better than Timmons in this regard but played a lot more catch and chase in college than attack. Vince Williams on the other hand was pretty good instinctually at the position and could bring the hammer as well. Of course Spence was extremely instinctual but undersized and then the injury :/

what % would you say Spence is at? Too bad about that injury, one of the worst in recent years but  the player did get a 2nd chance. Lets wait though, Spence might just need to shake off the rust and get back into shape etc.  It would be a nice story if Spence could get his game back and with VW solve ILB . I just think other areas of high draft picks are required or will be. 

JPN, why wasn't Harrison playing in the pats game? Do you think that all the other players are that much better? Maybe that will change if we play them again. 

Your new avatar reminds me of the avoid Lloyd banner at 3 rivers  back in the day , and the old uniforms xD

Archived