Week 4 GDT - Cowboys vs. Patriots: Lone Fan Team Visits Lone Star State

LD696

14 hours ago, LD696 said:

You're exactly right, and these would be my concerns as well. He never played or coached outside the circle and most likely never made many connections outside of the Pats org. The counterpoint would be that he seems intelligent enough to realize this, and try to wander outside for some "fresh air".

Hell, at one point Bill was able and willing to do this. He was known for offensive innovation (or, at least, saying yes to new offensive concepts as a head coach, see the 2007 offense, the Gronk-Hernandez TE set offense), and going around the league yearly to learn from coaches who seemed to have new ideas. He lost that edge, and I think it mostly coincided with the retirement of Ernie Adams.

I think Svechin was right when he said, "In essence all of strategy is basically a contemplation of military history." Bill lost his historian buttbuddy and now cannot map out a strategy for the future of the team.

He would not be my choice, but If Mayo is the next coach he has to be like Dan Campbell when it comes to the offensive side of the ball. He lets Ben Johnson run the show and gives him all the weapons he needs to be successful.

MOF   It I was Kraft I would seriously consider Ben Johnson for Head Coach.  IMO he has a brilliant offensive mind.

Side note. Eric Bieniemy another offensive minded coach is doing well in Washington with the young QB Sam Howell. EB is a no nonsense coach. Expects his players to work hard, some of the malcontent didn't like it and he basically said STFU !!!!

Added  The Lyons drafted.  Jahmyr Gibbs, Jack Campbell, Sam LaPorta, Brian Branch, Hendon Hooker !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice haul, 3 offensive players 2 will be big stars.

Edited by m haynes