Week 4 GDT - Cowboys vs. Patriots: Lone Fan Team Visits Lone Star State

LD696

5 minutes ago, Pats#1 said:

BB the coach being passed by by the game is a question to start asking.

Judging by the career arc of other great coaches this was inevitable and I think it's a fact now. Whether the Krafts realize it or not is another question. The icing on the cake is BB's atrocius hiring practices in the last few years which completely ruined the chance of a capable, young in-house replacement emerging (maybe Mayo?).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, LD696 said:

Judging by the career arc of other great coaches this was inevitable and I think it's a fact now. Whether the Krafts realize it or not is another question. The icing on the cake is BB's atrocius hiring practices in the last few years which completely ruined the chance of a capable, young in-house replacement emerging (maybe Mayo?).

Mayo, god no. 

1. He's only knows BB methods. Same philosophy won't work.  Run the ball crap.

2. He a defensive coach.

3. He a defensive coach and they don't work in today's NFL. It is all about offense.

Edited by m haynes

15 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Mayo, god no. 

2. He a defensive coach.

3. He a defensive coach and they don't work in today's NFL. It is all about offense.

i don't mind a defensive HC, because I don't expect a HC to be the GM as well, responsible for offensive personel (which Bill is trying to do and absolutely sucks at). I'd expect my HC to sporadically do coaching per se, and much rather be a person who effectively delegates coordinator and coaching duties (i.e. hires proper personel to do both) and coordinates a unifying strategy for the team, in conjunction with the GM and ownership. I think HCs coming from the defensive side of the are not in the vogue, because a lot of owners still have the image in their head that HC = game-day playcaller, and in a offense-oriented league this tilts the field towards OC->HC hires.

Edited by LD696

After coming back from my bathroom break it dawned on me that I take turds large enough to play on either side of the line for this team. Who know, maybe I'll enroll one of them to some DII college, see if BB picks him up in the first round.

A very bad week. 

The realisation that we haven’t got the balance right at all. Our defense is really good (you see what Eagles have done to everyone else so far?) but it isn’t enough to carry us to the playoffs because football isn’t like that now.

we’d have to probably de-emphasise the defense to make gains in offense. And then you can see the issues can’t you - We’d have no good side of the ball. 

it’s a condition of chronic under-development of the offense for years and years and years. Even when Brady was here. But we are too far a long….the D (when all healthy) is honestly amazing. But it’s 2023….if you’re going to pick one side to be amazing, it HAS to be offense.

we have invested in the wrong thing.

I thought BoB coming in would completely change our outlook on offense. It has to an extent, we do run some actual play concepts now…but it’s still a dumpster fire offense. Look how easy it was for Buffalo to move the ball on Miami, and we huffed and puffed just to make a first down. And against the jets.

Edited by Hunter2_1
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, LD696 said:

i don't mind a defensive HC, because I don't expect a HC to be the GM as well, responsible for offensive personel (which Bill is trying to do and absolutely sucks at). I'd expect my HC to sporadically do coaching per se, and much rather be a person who effectively delegates coordinator and coaching duties (i.e. hires proper personel to do both) and coordinates a unifying strategy for the team, in conjunction with the GM and ownership. I think HCs coming from the defensive side of the are not in the vogue, because a lot of owners still have the image in their head that HC = game-day playcaller, and in a offense-oriented league this tilts the field towards OC->HC hires.

Your making logical points. But I seen to much football over the years and most of the new coaches go with what they know and who they know. 

Mayo gets the job.  Lets use BB Jr. he will be the defensive coordinator.  Note here, I think he would be much better without his father pulling the strings and choosing the players.

He will do this across the board, its human nature. He not going to go out and find someone new, with a completely different philosophy. he will look for a run 1st guy which will be a disaster.

Mayo defense needs a run game, it all he knows.  BB guy since he was 22 years old and has never left the neighborhood !

1 hour ago, m haynes said:

Mayo, god no. 

2. He a defensive coach.

I agree with the sentiment that a defensive hc doesn't work in today's NFL. The one caveat to that is if the team has a quality veteran QB. In that case, imo a defensive he is better. But if a team is trying to develop a QB, it's gotta be an offensive mind in the HC spot.

5 hours ago, m haynes said:

Mayo gets the job.  Lets use BB Jr. he will be the defensive coordinator.  Note here, I think he would be much better without his father pulling the strings and choosing the players.

He will do this across the board, its human nature. He not going to go out and find someone new, with a completely different philosophy. he will look for a run 1st guy which will be a disaster.

Mayo defense needs a run game, it all he knows.  BB guy since he was 22 years old and has never left the neighborhood !

You're exactly right, and these would be my concerns as well. He never played or coached outside the circle and most likely never made many connections outside of the Pats org. The counterpoint would be that he seems intelligent enough to realize this, and try to wander outside for some "fresh air".

Hell, at one point Bill was able and willing to do this. He was known for offensive innovation (or, at least, saying yes to new offensive concepts as a head coach, see the 2007 offense, the Gronk-Hernandez TE set offense), and going around the league yearly to learn from coaches who seemed to have new ideas. He lost that edge, and I think it mostly coincided with the retirement of Ernie Adams.

I think Svechin was right when he said, "In essence all of strategy is basically a contemplation of military history." Bill lost his historian buttbuddy and now cannot map out a strategy for the future of the team.

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

We see the same things over over and over again. That’s the worrying thing with Mac. 

And the sad part is, he's the best we've got.

Top 5 pick incoming... and Bill will trade down and pick a running back no doubt.  (I'm only half joking)