Boston Sports Thread

I_GET_SAX

I doubt the Ausmus hire will have any influence on his decision here. They know Varitek, and if he wants the job I'm sure he'll be under strong consideration. Cora is a question mark but is clearly pretty well-regarded given what's out there. Really wish they could've held onto Lovullo for one more year, he would've been perfect. And for the love of god, no Ron Gardenhire :S

Gardenhire or Ausmus would be a disaster. 

For inexperienced options DeMarlo Hale is a guy I'd like to see at least interviewed. As is Gabe Kapler (though there have been rumblings he wants to wait for his kid to finish high school before moving out of CA). 

I don't have all that much faith in Dombrowski. I just hope it's not a Grady Little "old timey baseball instincts and hunches" type of hiring. 

4 minutes ago, mcmurtry86 said:

I don't have all that much faith in Dombrowski.

John Henry sure does, to a terrifying degree. I just read that when Dave brought up coaching changes Henry told him it was entirely up to him. I don't like that Dombrowski isnt clearing anything he does with anyone. 

3 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

John Henry sure does, to a terrifying degree. I just read that when Dave brought up coaching changes Henry told him it was entirely up to him. I don't like that Dombrowski isnt clearing anything he does with anyone. 

Well Dombrowski is Henry's hand picked President of Baseball Operations with back to back division titles to his name. They wouldn't have hired him to that position without giving him carte blanche on all but the biggest financial decisions. 

I'm sure Dombrowski will discuss his ideas with Henry,  but the final decision is Dombrowski's. That also ensures that if the team flops under the new manager, Dombrowski is gone 

1 hour ago, tonyto36 said:

So excited to see the new-look C's.  

I'm sure there are going to be growing pains, but it would be pretty great to start the season with a W in Cleveland.

All the new pieces seem to have gelled nicely during pre-season. I know its just pre-season, but still I am not expecting too slow a start from these guys. 

Still no word on LeBron's status, I feel like he is just milking this though and he is 100% ready to play

Ausmus was interviewed today ¬¬

I think this is a make or break offseason for Dombrowski and the next 3-4 years. The team has a bloated payroll, a bottom 5 farm system and a core that will get very expensive in 2019-2020. If they play it passively and hope for organic growth and improvement, they will likely get passed by the Yankees. Their window is now. They need a coach who can maximize the production of the young players  and they need to find a creative solution to the lack of power in the lineup. Anything less than 2 offensive upgrades will be a failure IMO.

5 hours ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

Sounds a lot like Cora is going to be the guy.

Can't be worse than Gardenhire or Ausmus. Not really an inspiring pick if Cora is the guy but there's not much out there. Might as well try someone with no experience. 

Next year's team will live or die by Dombrowski's moves in the next 3 months anyway. 

Yeah I'm optimistic if Cora is the guy. Ultimately agree with mcmurtry, next season will come down to whether Dave can trade for a Stanton or an Abreu. Don't want Hosmer, don't see Martinez happening. If we're trading away our young big league talent, I would start with Bradley and then Bogaerts. Don't want Benintendi or Betts going anywhere.

1 hour ago, dhunt2402 said:

Yeah I'm optimistic if Cora is the guy. Ultimately agree with mcmurtry, next season will come down to whether Dave can trade for a Stanton or an Abreu. Don't want Hosmer, don't see Martinez happening. If we're trading away our young big league talent, I would start with Bradley and then Bogaerts. Don't want Benintendi or Betts going anywhere.

Stanton would be a disaster. No thanks to giving up Benintendi++ for an injury prone guy with a massive contract. Long term that would really handicap the team 

The Sox farm system is so bad I don't see how they can compete for a Stanton type via trade without Betts or Benintendi (along with another key piece like Devers) going the other way.

Archived