Game 8: Las Vegas Raiders (3-4) @ Detroit Lions (5-2) MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL

Louis Friend

19 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

I was reading the article below on how the Dolphins use cheat motion.  This seems like it is tailor-made for Jameson Williams.  It would be really interesting to the Lions give this a shot.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/dolphins-utilization-cheat-motion-takes-173929153.html

All teams are using it to some extent. I have seen Det already use it. Miami just does it the most. It's not new 

35 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

All teams are using it to some extent. I have seen Det already use it. Miami just does it the most. It's not new 

As you are fond of saying, nothing in my post says new.  Nothing.  However, I have watched every game this season and the Lions mostly use "jet motion" rather than the cheat motion that is described in the article.  Jet Motion generally has a longer path prior to the snap.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Just Want A Title said:

As you are fond of saying, nothing in my post says new.  Nothing.  However, I have watched every game this season and the Lions mostly use "jet motion" rather than the cheat motion that is described in the article.  Jet Motion generally has a longer path prior to the snap.

Well the Lions have given it a shot. 

ASB has ran it a good dozen times. 

don't need explained difference in cheat and jet but thanks 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Louis Friend said:

Maybe you can learn cheat motion after I learn how contracts work. It’s amazing how dumb we are. 

Right. Cheat motion is literally so old. We were coaching it back in HS football on Cali Central Coast back in 2007-2011.

NFL coaches are just behind the times in terms of finding out how to get this into the game 

Edited by detfan782004
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

Right. Cheat motion is literally so old. We were coaching it back in HS football on Cali Central Coast back in 2007-2011.

NFL coaches are just behind the times in terms of finding out how to get this into the game 

The thing is it is a potentially ingenious way to put Jameson Williams in a good position to succeed because:

1.  It lets him use his madden-like ability to accelerate closer to top speed as soon as he crosses the line of scrimmage

2.  It helps minimize the level of contact he has with DBs which is something that can still make him uncomfortable

3. It seems like the Lions would be smart to use Jameson Williams and his speed in a manner that is similar to Tyreek Hill.  They need a play or two where the QB throws it to a spot and he just runs underneath the ball.  That may time more time to develop with Jared Goff.

Edited by Just Want A Title

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

The thing is it is a potentially ingenious way to put Jameson Williams in a good position to succeed because:

1.  It lets him use his madden-like ability to accelerate closer to top speed as soon as he crosses the line of scrimmage

2.  It helps minimize the level of contact he has with DBs which is something that can still make him uncomfortable

3. It seems like the Lions would be smart to use Jameson Williams and his speed in a manner that is similar to Tyreek Hill.  They need a play or two where the QB throws it to a spot and he just runs underneath the ball.  That may time more time to develop with Jared Goff.

Think he needs to focus on catching a ball first. Once he gets that concept down they can try to move him into different schemes 

Tyreek knows how to catch 

Edited by detfan782004
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, detfan782004 said:

Think he needs to focus on catching a ball first. Once he gets that concept down they can try to move him into different schemes 

Tyreek knows how to catch 

Jameson Williams doesn't have a hands problem-he has a head problem.  You can see it when he has to adjust to balls that aren't thrown perfectly.  He has improved with how he reacts to contact but you can still see it affecting his concentration.  He caught less than 100 balls in college and played in 9 NFL games to-date.  His speed and athleticism are crazy but the only thing that is going to make him better is to do what he is doing now:  stay healthy, stack practices, take snaps in live games and learn as much as he can.

That being said, having him run routes that cut the amount of DB jams and contact will help him gain confidence and make an impact for the offense.

3 hours ago, Just Want A Title said:

Jameson Williams doesn't have a hands problem-he has a head problem.  You can see it when he has to adjust to balls that aren't thrown perfectly.  He has improved with how he reacts to contact but you can still see it affecting his concentration.  He caught less than 100 balls in college and played in 9 NFL games to-date.  His speed and athleticism are crazy but the only thing that is going to make him better is to do what he is doing now:  stay healthy, stack practices, take snaps in live games and learn as much as he can.

That being said, having him run routes that cut the amount of DB jams and contact will help him gain confidence and make an impact for the offense.

I'm not sure if I agree with this. He might have a head problem, but he most definitely has a hands problem. He caught less than 100 balls in college... this doesn't change the fact he has a hands problem for a current NFL receiver.

When the ball hits him in the hands and it hits the ground then it is a hands problem.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LionArkie said:

I'm not sure if I agree with this. He might have a head problem, but he most definitely has a hands problem. He caught less than 100 balls in college... this doesn't change the fact he has a hands problem for a current NFL receiver.

When the ball hits him in the hands and it hits the ground then it is a hands problem.

You don't catch 79 balls in one season with bad hands.  I don't recall every seeing him have that problem in his Junior season.  I just think the jump to the NFL, with the increased complexity and physicality is something to which he is still adjusting.  He could make most DBs look bad in college just by relying on his physical talents.  I suspect his college coaches probably let him get by because he could do that.  The other piece to this:  being an NFL player can be a really hard thing to adjust to for some younger players.  It is a different approach and a different way of doing just about everything.  From a maturity perspective he may need some time to grow into that.  To his credit, he seems to be taking some steps forward in that area but we probably wont see the true benefits his stacked practices and game reps until December.  Success doesn't always happen in a straight line.

1 hour ago, Just Want A Title said:

You don't catch 79 balls in one season with bad hands.  I don't recall every seeing him have that problem in his Junior season.  I just think the jump to the NFL, with the increased complexity and physicality is something to which he is still adjusting.  He could make most DBs look bad in college just by relying on his physical talents.  I suspect his college coaches probably let him get by because he could do that.  The other piece to this:  being an NFL player can be a really hard thing to adjust to for some younger players.  It is a different approach and a different way of doing just about everything.  From a maturity perspective he may need some time to grow into that.  To his credit, he seems to be taking some steps forward in that area but we probably wont see the true benefits his stacked practices and game reps until December.  Success doesn't always happen in a straight line.

I guess I'm just overly simple. If you don't catch the ball and drop the ball, then it's a drop. You drop the ball when you don't have good hands or get crushed. What defines good hands? I guess catching the ball and especially catching the non-contested balls. Jameson doesn't catch the ball in the NFL when he's wide open. He may have in Pee Wees, he might have in college, but in the NFL he doesn't. So for the NFL, Jameson doesn't have good hands.

Maybe he will work it out, but then again I remember this same argument made for Ebron when he was here. Here's to me being wrong.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I guess I'm just overly simple. If you don't catch the ball and drop the ball, then it's a drop. You drop the ball when you don't have good hands or get crushed. What defines good hands? I guess catching the ball and especially catching the non-contested balls. Jameson doesn't catch the ball in the NFL when he's wide open. He may have in Pee Wees, he might have in college, but in the NFL he doesn't. So for the NFL, Jameson doesn't have good hands.

Maybe he will work it out, but then again I remember this same argument made for Ebron when he was here. Here's to me being wrong.

We agree more than you think.  We just don't agree on the root-cause.  I see the drops as a symptom of a mental/maturity issue.  You see the drop as a product of not-great hand-eye coordination.  It could very well be that we are both right and both wrong at the same time.  Especially if it is a combination of both things.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LionArkie said:

Lol yea he has a hands problem. Not shocked he's trying to twist it.

Hes had a hands problem for years