2023 GDT Week #8 Steelers host the Jaguars

Steeler Hitman

2023 Week #8 Weekly Poll Question  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Steelers take advantage of two generous/lucky wins to build upon going forward?

• Yes. They have three winnable games at home to help build upon.
    • No. They have been more lucky than good and won't grow from this.
    • Have No Clue. The only thing consistent about the Steelers is their inconsistency.

8 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Ummm. That was his worst night in a long time. 

And I’m sorry. You’re placing the blame elsewhere when it shouldn’t be. This isn’t ignoring what lost them the game. It’s shining the light on another area we failed. 

We can agree to disagree. I feel he is cherry picking his targets of blame and blaming the defense at all is just horse ****

https://x.com/Steelersdepot/status/1719192280064782703?s=20

DJ and Pickett seem to still be off on ball delivery.  DJ is literally 1 step past the LBer and looking back for the ball, he's got to know he needs to be clearing the LBer more than that, and it actually slows him down doing so.  Given that Kenny's throw was about 1 step past where DJ was, it looks like Kenny knew that DJ needed more depth than when he looked.  On the flip side this is a pass I would expect Kenny to throw this pass with a little more touch than he did.  A little more air to hit him at the 45 rather than the 50 and that's gone.  On top of all that, this is the part on effort that bugs me, he just sticks his hands up.  No effort to make a diving catch, no effort to get vertical, no effort to help his QB.  

Just now, VigilantZombie said:

We can agree to disagree. I feel he is cherry picking his targets of blame and blaming the defense at all is just horse ****

Fine - but making an excuse for bad punting on the offense is just sweeping a problem under the rug.

1 minute ago, warfelg said:

Fine - but making an excuse for bad punting on the offense is just sweeping a problem under the rug.

I'm not excusing the bad punting. I'm saying they've done nothing to fix the offense. If they did, we wouldn't have to worry about bad punting. It starts with fixing the offense. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, VigilantZombie said:

I'm not excusing the bad punting. I'm saying they've done nothing to fix the offense. If they did, we wouldn't have to worry about bad punting. It starts with fixing the offense. 

You just did it!! Jesus man. Bad punting is bad punting and the offense has nothing to do with it. 

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1719323870652670299?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Mason Cole needs to shut up. He’s getting blown off the line in the run game unless he’s the help, and even then he continually fails to climb the ladder. 

Of course continuing to call inside zone and edge runs when you got the OL and RB for downhill running is a huge part of the problem. 

35 minutes ago, warfelg said:

https://x.com/steelersdepot/status/1719323870652670299?s=46&t=xd5QJpZuXv2k7qD0xqd6aA

Mason Cole needs to shut up. He’s getting blown off the line in the run game unless he’s the help, and even then he continually fails to climb the ladder. 

Of course continuing to call inside zone and edge runs when you got the OL and RB for downhill running is a huge part of the problem. 

He is not wrong in the overall premise but you have hit the nail on the head with the stupid calls with Harris. 

Just now, jebrick said:

He is not wrong in the overall premise but you have hit the nail on the head with the stupid calls with Harris. 

He’s not wrong but he’s also the worst OL we’re throwing out there. I feel, as a fan, that it’s more impactful if it came from Seumalo or Daniels. Heck the time it came from Najee, Canada dismissed it to the media. 

Hell I might send $100 (not that it’s much) to whatever offense player that’s playing badly admits they are part of the problem. 

9 minutes ago, jebrick said:

They have no one better than Cole at this point.  They do well running the power gap scheme like they did vs the Rams but that does not fit Canada's vision of the offense. 

Sneakily they do, but they won’t do it. 

James Daniels is a natural C, and Herbig at RG. Wanna get silly? Try Moore at RG and Jones at LT. 

But back to Jones. Based on PFF (take this how you want) his best graded position is C. Baldinger keeps saying he’s a natural C. Dukes keeps saying someone needs to put him at C. 

• Like 1

FWIW - Tomlin was asked about the inability to flip the field position and that’s where the comments on punting and the turnovers came off of. He said that special teams can make splash plays too and inconsistent punting hurts in that aspect. 

I can’t help but think of the Killer Bs era and how a OvsD culture came about in the locker room, and that was an issue. I feel like Tomlin is trying to avoid that and the issue is a collective we. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

You just did it!! Jesus man. Bad punting is bad punting and the offense has nothing to do with it. 

I think we are trying to say the same thing in different ways. Yes the bad punting needs to be corrected and didn't help us in this game, deserves to be pointed out.

HOWEVER if you play better offense, the punting is irrelevant because the idea is to not have to punt at all. 

2 hours ago, warfelg said:

Mason Cole imo might actually be worse than Chuks...