Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

34 minutes ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

If I'm the Browns and there's someone I highly value as the best player in this draft that isn't a QB, I'm taking that guy...and I'm holding out hope that Baker somehow falls to the HOU pick.

Can't play around and miss the best QB.  Been there, done that, left with "value picks" at QB instead of the target.

5 minutes ago, ditchdigger said:

Can't play around and miss the best QB.  Been there, done that, left with "value picks" at QB instead of the target.

I agree, you pick the QB you believe can get the job done at #1 overall and never look back. You never risk losing your guy by trying to be smart, it rarely works. Likely, all that happens is a flurry of trades, where teams move up ahead of you and your guy is gone.

1 minute ago, Iamcanadian said:

I agree, you pick the QB you believe can get the job done at #1 overall and never look back. You never risk losing your guy by trying to be smart, it rarely works. Likely, all that happens is a flurry of trades, where teams move up ahead of you and your guy is gone.

Just happened last year with Mahomes. 

Just now, ditchdigger said:

Except when you have a Myles Garrett in the draft.  There is no Myles Garrett in this draft.

I agree. I’m just not sure that collectively there was a consensus franchise guy. The fact that Hue loved Mahomes actually makes me lean more towards believing he is not that. 

I wanted Myles but if you do project a guy to be a franchise QB, you should  take that guy. Case in point, if there was a re-draft, Browns would take Watson, regardless how good Garrett is. They, and most, didn’t evaluate him as sure-thing on that level. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

A QB1 is always the BPA for a team in need.

Yes, but only if one is rated a top 5 prospect, otherwise you have to go with talent over need, but if a QB is among the top 5 prospects, you are dead on about picking him, even if a Garrett is in the draft, but you have to love the guy and have him high on your draft board.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

Yes, but only if one is rated a top 5 prospect, otherwise you have to go with talent over need, but if a QB is among the top 5 prospects, you are dead on about picking him, even if a Garrett is in the draft, but you have to love the guy and have him high on your draft board.

By QB1 I mean a guy that you feel confident in being a franchise QB. In my mind, that makes him in that top 5. 

For instance, you may think Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best player in the draft, but if you think Sam Darnold is a great player and franchise QB, he goes ahead of your BPA.

17 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I agree. I’m just not sure that collectively there was a consensus franchise guy. The fact that Hue loved Mahomes actually makes me lean more towards believing he is not that. 

I wanted Myles but if you do project a guy to be a franchise QB, you should  take that guy. Case in point, if there was a re-draft, Browns would take Watson, regardless how good Garrett is. They, and most, didn’t evaluate him as sure-thing on that level. 

Watson is RG3 2.0 to me, until proven otherwise. But that's an argument for another day.

I like Baker, I would like him a lot more if the browns were more established and a better coach. To me I think Baker will need a specific type offense around him to be successful. I dont know if Hue is able to do that. 

Darnold is really starting to grow on me. I was a huge Rosen fan and had him as the clear cut #1 QB but to me Darnold has moved up toe 1b to Rosen 1a. Just keep hearing scouts and what not saying that they are both extremely talented (rosen and darnold) but that scouts are falling in love with Darnold because they believe he could play in any kind of system. Rosen might be a little bit more limited for systems but its not by a lot. I like Darnold because who knows in Hue i going to be back after '18, if he even makes it there. 

2 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Baker any good at the All Verticals play?

I know Oklahome has killed teams with a 20 personnel packages by attacking defenses with their two RBs. Something that would be interesting to see with Crow and Duke but Hue has never once used, I believe.

1 hour ago, NateDawg said:

By QB1 I mean a guy that you feel confident in being a franchise QB. In my mind, that makes him in that top 5. 

For instance, you may think Minkah Fitzpatrick is the best player in the draft, but if you think Sam Darnold is a great player and franchise QB, he goes ahead of your BPA.

Then, I agree 100%!

Archived