Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

39 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Lamar Jackson is a product of system. He’s just another athlete playing QB playing within the system. He’s not asked to do a lot but improvise when need be and make one to two reads max out of roll outs. Remember Boykin,Brad Smith,Pryor,Braxton Miller was good for awhile,Manziel to some extent,Sanu. Sure he’s great now. But he doesn’t translate to the nfl I’d be alittle more inclined to see what he’s got if he managed to stack some weight on and play with in the pocket more but then that takes away from his overal game. I’ve seen this story it begins as a QB and ends as a WR or plot twist often injuried 

Bolded - That is at least AS true, if not significantly more true, of Josh Allen than it is of Jackson (Thrower with physical tools, not really a passer yet).

And no, he doesn't do one read max and only from roll outs. You can just not talk on stuff you don't know about man. Watch one of the Kollman breakdowns or something. You can find at least a couple plays a game where he goes through 2-3 reads before finding his guy. And he escapes the pocket less often than Josh Allen (I'll look for the quote on that, but someone counted). And if you watch a freaking three minute highlight video you'd see a number of throws, from the pocket, that take multiple reads. That's a freaking highlight video, not exactly the height of scouting accumen and yet even that tiny bit of research would but up your narrative.

Lamar isn't in my top 3 QBs this year, and he has some very real knocks, but this narrative on him is lazy.

2 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Bolded - That is at least AS true, if not significantly more true, of Josh Allen than it is of Jackson (Thrower with physical tools, not really a passer yet).

And no, he doesn't do one read max and only from roll outs. You can just not talk on stuff you don't know about man. Watch one of the Kollman breakdowns or something. You can find at least a couple plays a game where he goes through 2-3 reads before finding his guy. And he escapes the pocket less often than Josh Allen (I'll look for the quote on that, but someone counted). And if you watch a freaking three minute highlight video you'd see a number of throws, from the pocket, that take multiple reads. That's a freaking highlight video, not exactly the height of scouting accumen and yet even that tiny bit of research would but up your narrative.

Lamar isn't in my top 3 QBs this year, and he has some very real knocks, but this narrative on him is lazy.

Of course a highlight type is going to highlight a QB throwing from the pocket it’s what their suppose to do. I don’t like alllen either his physical attributes though make him intriguing if he sits for awhile much like Kizer should have. Maybe two three year. Which won’t happen here. Somewhere like the Steelers,Saints, or Patriots would fit perfectly for Allen. I have watched tape on him. A good amount considering it’s the like 10th straight year we’ve needed a QB. He doesn’t impress me if I’m projecting him to the nfl. But if he could make a career out of being a college QB he’d be elite. The system he runs, the style he plays with, and the physical flaws he has projects him to bust atleast as a QB. He’s an amazing athlete though. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, NudeTayne said:

I don’t know how many of you are watching any Senior Bowl coverage. I am not, but I am seeing the Twitter updates. I didn’t think Allen was any good to begin with. And now all doubt has been erased from my mind. He is horrible, and I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. If the Browns draft him they are out of their minds. 

27 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Man I'm starting to lean towards Baker as the QB I want. He's a beast.

AoAqv_s-200x150.gif

21 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I don’t know how many of you are watching any Senior Bowl coverage. I am not, but I am seeing the Twitter updates. I didn’t think Allen was any good to begin with. And now all doubt has been erased from my mind. He is horrible, and I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole. If the Browns draft him they are out of their minds. 

tenor.gif?itemid=5952380

1 hour ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Hahaha....that guy using Phillip Rivers and his unorthodox/rare throwing motion in that comparison to make some point is a little ridiculous. You could pick almost every other 6ft 4 plus QB and the comparison photo would be different

I'm cool with the Baker love, but too many draftniks keep comparing him to Drew Brees and Russell Wilson, and it is really really bad and ultimately does a disservice to all three really good players.

The only thing they all share was that they are both shorter QBs, and they are good players.

There games really have no overlap.

The real comparison for Baker Mayfield in terms of pro play stye is Jeff Garcia at the height of his powers. That's not a slight  as Garcia was a legit top 5 QB for multiple years with competitive fire and play action pass precision.

Brees had elite calm/quiet feet, cared nothing about inside pressure and kept his eyes downfield at all times. He had lunch pales for hands at 10.25 and was one of the most pinpoint accurate QBs in terms of actual ball placement scouting of all time. Intangibles and work habits off the charts. Pro passing game knowledge was off the charts. Careed a team on his back every game and made

Wilson elite of elite intangibles, arms that go down to his ankles, lunchpale hands at 10.25, long baseball delivery with exceptional accuracy at all levels and the unrivaled ability to extend the play, run for first downs and big gains. He had unbelievable knowledge of west coast offense a la NC state and pro pass concepts. Leadership, obsession with the game, and work habits were off the charts. Feet were elite in calmness in the face of the rush and his eyes never dropped.

Baker has elite competitive fire on the field, and has the ability to rally his teammates toward focus, passion, and energy from the locker room, practice field, or in the game. He has really good ability to throw from any arm angle and has a beautiful release. One of the best Play Action deep ball throwers you'll find. He lacks calm/quiet feet, is frenetic in the pocket and drops his eyes on inside pressure all the time. He doesn't have pass pro scheme knowledge, his ball placement is not always precise, and never has operate with bodies around him. When pressure is on from the outside he falls off his throws.

In terms of them as prospects without hindsight, it's Wilson first, Brees second a substantial ways better than Baker in terms of how I saw them coming out of college.

35 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Great point about the throwing release point. Baker has an extremely high release. I don't hardly ever see his passes get batted down. He's able to fit the ball through tight windows not just in coverage, but at the line. He's a magician. In addition to having a great release point, he gets up on his toes and climbs up in the pocket when he delivers it down the field. This adds even more zing on his throws and gives him more "height".

My only worry with him is whether or not he can play in a pro style offense taking snaps from under center. The height is a negative, but I tend to be much more lenient on QB height. I don't think size was the reason Manziel failed like some seem to believe.

He's head and shoulders above the other QB's in every category other than height. And arm strength, as Josh Allen has him beat there slightly. But he has athleticism, arm strength, improv skills, a burning desire to win and urinate on his haters, accuracy at every level, poise, the ability to scan the field and make full-field reads, and will constantly keep his eyes down the field looking for the big throw rather than just tucking and running in a scramble situation. He's a baller and a half. Plus I like his cocky attitude and I guarantee you his teammates love him for it. It's not an "I'm entitled" attitude...it's more of a "F-you, we're going to kick your behind" kind of confidence that he has.

Screw it. Baker is my #1 QB as of right now. The other QB's have scared me off recently and Baker's only weakness (his height) hasn't been an issue for him yet. I'll trust the experts on their QB evals over myself, but I personally see no reason why a different QB should go ahead of Baker unless he craps his pants starting today and doesn't stop pooping them until the draft hits.

Archived