Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

dorsey doesnt like rosen.
its either gonna be darnold/ or mayfield.  rumors has it that sushi didnt even have mayfield on his list cause well, same reasons you guys think he cant go that high (his measureables)
but
dorsey loves  a WINNER
and baker is a winner
he's also accurate and had a wonderful season
48 total starts
senior (fits parcells' criteria for a quarterback)

darnold could go palmer but he could go sanchez
much less experience
definitely will need a full year on bench --- but we've tried this many times and it doesnt work in cleveland
shaky mechanics

i think he's gonna go mayfield

54 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Idk it was a weeks ago and I follow like 20 NFL scouts on Twitter. I posted back in December the QBR of every 1st round QB all the way back to Cam Newton and Baker Mayfield had the highest QBR of any QB prospect dating back to 2011. The guy behind him? Russel Wilson with the second highest.

I also posted that he has the highest or 2nd highest completion percentage of any 1st round QB to come out in the past 8 years as well. 

So yeah, I could buy it that if he was 6'3" he certainly has the college passing numbers to make the case. The only things people pick on Mayfield about is his height and his demeanor. Nobody has a single bad thing to say about him actually playing football or issues with his throwing, because it's elite compared to 95% of the other prospects to come out.

Ohhh, I like that.  I like that a lot.

16 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Great point about the throwing release point. Baker has an extremely high release. I don't hardly ever see his passes get batted down. He's able to fit the ball through tight windows not just in coverage, but at the line. He's a magician. In addition to having a great release point, he gets up on his toes and climbs up in the pocket when he delivers it down the field. This adds even more zing on his throws and gives him more "height".

15 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I like him as a prospect but we shouldn’t put too much stock into this. It’s just cliche generic pre draft talk. 

I mean, to a degree, yes. And if no one was flipping out over prospects' pre-draft comments I wouldn't even post it. But we just spent like a month basically ruling Rosen out because he may have kinda sorta possibly implied that he would be okay not getting picked #1 to stay away from the Browns organization. In that context, a guy basically saying "#$%^ the haters, ride or die CLE if you pick me" does have some oomph.

12 hours ago, Mind Character said:

What scout is this?

If you remember, please let me know because I never need to listen to that person ever again if I happen to currently follow them.

We really are knee deep in the silly season.

Baker plus 2 inches === Best prospect since Luck...LOL

Better than Goff, Wentz, Jameis, Mariota, Mahomes, Watson, Trubisky...

My goodness.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to make it until draft day at this rate.

I'd agree with the scout. He'd absolutely be in the discussion. He'd basically be Luck but a tiny bit less athletic and having not played in a pro-system. He has the mental game, he has top flight accuracy. If Baker Mayfield had Baker Mayfield's stats/film and Josh Allen's Body and Arm, we would absolutely be talking about him as the possible best guy since Luck. And even putting Mahomes/Watson/Trubisky in the discussion is laughable.

1 hour ago, mistakey said:

dorsey doesnt like rosen.
its either gonna be darnold/ or mayfield.  rumors has it that sushi didnt even have mayfield on his list cause well, same reasons you guys think he cant go that high (his measureables)
but
dorsey loves  a WINNER
and baker is a winner
he's also accurate and had a wonderful season
48 total starts
senior (fits parcells' criteria for a quarterback)

darnold could go palmer but he could go sanchez
much less experience
definitely will need a full year on bench --- but we've tried this many times and it doesnt work in cleveland
shaky mechanics

i think he's gonna go mayfield

That rumor is from somebody with a veeeeeery surface level understanding of analytics and how the previous FO used them. Baker's height definitely would've been a red flag. But his passes batted down % and the rest of his sexy, sexy stats would've definitely outweighed that. I wouldn't venture who would've been on top of their board, but I can guarantee they wouldn't have taken him off of it for that.

As for Dorsey... I just don't know at this point. I'm hoping Baker/Rosen, but wouldn't be too mad about Darnold/Jackson either.

As long as we stay away from Allen, this'll be a pretty good year for me as far as not breaking a TV (Manziel).

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

I'd agree with the scout. He'd absolutely be in the discussion. He'd basically be Luck but a tiny bit less athletic and having not played in a pro-system. He has the mental game, he has top flight accuracy. If Baker Mayfield had Baker Mayfield's stats/film and Josh Allen's Body and Arm, we would absolutely be talking about him as the possible best guy since Luck. And even putting Mahomes/Watson/Trubisky in the discussion is laughable.

It's really true. His passing ability backed up by numbers is the most elite of any prospect I can remember. When reading articles on players there are always pros and cons-- but the majority of things written only mention Mayfield's cons being his size and attitude questions. Nothing about his ability to actually quarterback a team because there is very very little to nitpick when it comes to that.

If Mayfield grew 2-3 inches people would easily be touting him as the best prospect since Luck.

I'll dig up those stats later from a previous post I made back in December

6 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, I can't imagine what it is...

tenor.gif

tenor.gif?itemid=8133205

baker-throat-slash.gif?w=1000

Wait a minute now...let's be fair.

All 20-21 year old college males, run from the police, resist arrest, kick the vehicle, and curse them out while being arrested as well as in the cruiser.

Every last one of them. Science says it's so and also it's no big deal and it's definitely not an indicator of anything in the future at all.

We've all been young and done things we regret so don't worry about it or look into other reports from his Texas Tech days and Oklahoma.

He's Russell Wilson and Drew Brees.

27 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Wait a minute now...let's be fair.

All 20-21 year old college males, run from the police, resist arrest, kick the vehicle, and curse them out while being arrested as well as in the cruiser.

Every last one of them. Science says it's so and also it's no big deal and it's definitely not an indicator of anything in the future at all.

We've all been young and done things we regret so don't worry about it or look into other reports from his Texas Tech days and Oklahoma.

He's Russell Wilson and Drew Brees.

I can’t tell if this is the most ignorant and untrue statement of all time or if you’re being sarcastic. Well played.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I can’t tell if this is the most ignorant and untrue statement of all time or if you’re being sarcastic. Well played.

I give it a B+ troll attempt. Well executed, but not really attacking an accurate stereotype since most of the anti-Mayfield crowd loves to point out his character issues, so points off for that.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:42 AM, Mind Character said:

John Dorsey will draft Baker Mayfield number 1 overall. Book it. I'd put a lot of money on it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As with last year with my daily "Davis Webb" is trash reminder, I'm just here again to remind everyone that John Dorsey is selecting Baker Mayfield number 1 overall.

That is all.

Like I just said in another thread, Baker's height doesn't bother me like it does some people. I'm more concerned about the offense he played in. I think Baker will likely turn out to be a good QB in the pros, but I'd still take Darnold or Rosen over him. Also, his "character concerns" don't bother me much either. Ideally he'd act in a more mature manner, but I also dig the fire and passion he displays.

Don't know if its PTSD from the Manziel experience but the idea of the Browns drafting a small QB with off the fields issues scares me to death, with that being i also had a really bad feeling about Wentz so my gut feeling are pretty much worthless 9_9

23 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we like him most of all QBs we should take him at 1. If we don't like him quite as much as Darnold/Rosen then we should select Darnold/Rosen. If we have all three rated exactly the same with everything factored in, then yeah we can wait until 4 but that is the only time I would wait. Even then, if we take Baker at 1, say Rosen goes 2 then the Colts are trading the #3 pick to a team wanting Darnold and we get any player at 4 that we could have taken at 1 anyway.

What if we want Barkley that much. Colts will take him if he's there. If we take Barkley at 1 then one of Darnold Rosen or Mayfield will be available. If Giants take Rosen at 2 then Darnold and Mayfield will be available. I'm ok with this.

1 hour ago, pnies20 said:

What if we want Barkley that much. Colts will take him if he's there. If we take Barkley at 1 then one of Darnold Rosen or Mayfield will be available. If Giants take Rosen at 2 then Darnold and Mayfield will be available. I'm ok with this.

Do you think the Colts would pass up a trade with someone wanting Rosen/Darnold? It's possible but I'd think it was in their best interest to get a big haul or just trade with the Broncos and move to 5 and pick up a likely 2nd. If we really loved Barkley and thought there were 3 QBs valued the same then sure. If the Colts were totally in love with Barkley and valued that over multiple 1sts or a 2nd (or so) and the 5th pick then sure. I just doubt that would be the scenario if we are correct and a lot of teams like the top 3 QBs and specifically Darnold/Rosen in this theory.

I'd like to have Barkley. Peppers returning days would be over and he'd share duties with Duke at RB. Bring us a HR threat on offense and ST. I just wouldn't risk taking a QB I liked more than the others to get him.

If we go Barkley at 1 I think the Colts trade back. If we take a QB at 1 I think the Colts trade back. They are in a great position this year with the #3 pick. Maybe as good of a position as I remember with the QBs available.

Archived