Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

12 minutes ago, mistakey said:

And maybe Sam never fixes it and he turns into Bortles.  We know Baker doesn’t have to fix it.  For a team that sure needs to get it right why not take the guy that doesn’t need to change as much?

Yeah and maybe Baker never matures and flames out of the NFL.

Every prospect is flawed.

I would take Darnold. If they don’t, I won’t be surprised. I’m fine being in the minority and couldn’t care less what experts think. I’m sure you probably feel the same at points.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Yeah and maybe Baker never matures and flames out of the NFL.

Every prospect is flawed.

I would take Darnold. If they don’t, I won’t be surprised. I’m fine being in the minority and couldn’t care less what experts think. I’m sure you probably feel the same at points.

Lol I doubt taking Sam Darnold at 1 is the minority 

also, the dude seemed to care more about his sick mother than his career chances this week.  How does that not show maturity? 

Dude makes one mistake and you treat them like the plague 

25 minutes ago, mistakey said:

And maybe Sam never fixes it and he turns into Bortles.  We know Baker doesn’t have to fix it.  For a team that sure needs to get it right why not take the guy that doesn’t need to change as much?

Bortles and Darnold are nothing alike.

Not in play style or throwing ability.

Bortles has a slow release; Darnold has a quick and explosive release.

Bortles has never been pinpoint accurate; Darnold is pinpoint accurate both in the pocket and off platform.

Bortles had no pocket poise and fled the pocket at UCF when pressure flashed; Darnold has pocket poise.

The only thing similar between the 2 is that the both have unorthodox deliveries; however, all unorthodox delivery QBs are not the same.

Phillip Rivers, Sam Darnold, Blake Bortles, Byron Leftwhich, Rich Gannon, and Kevin Hogan are not all the same QB just because their delivery is unorthodox.

Darnold is a basketball player, surfer, and played linebacker/safety in high school before playing Quarterback his final year.

His issue are purely feet mechanics as he'll have no problem with his delivery at the next level because it's so explosive.

A year or 2 from now, with footwork drilling Darnold will be a smaller a blend of young Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers with an unorthodox delivery.

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

also, the dude seemed to care more about his sick mother than his career chances this week.  How does that not show maturity? 

It’s not mwil’s take alone though, lots of scouts feel the same way. Just like with Manziel.  Not to say he’s JFF all over again, but some of the concerns are there. 

There’s no way for us as fans to know if they’re legit concerns or a one time goof up, so it’s hard to argue either way imo.

1 minute ago, Mind Character said:

Bortles has never been pinpoint accurate; Darnold is pinpoint accurate both in the pocket and off platform.

Bortles had no pocket poise and fled the pocket at UCF when pressure flashed; Darnold has pocket poise.

The only thing similar between the 2 is that the both have unorthodox deliveries; however, all unorthodox delivery QBs are not the same.

Phillip Rivers, Sam Darnold, Blake Bortles, Byron Leftwhich, Rich Gannon, and Kevin Hogan are not all the same QB just because their delivery is unorthodox.

Darnold is a basketball player, surfer, and played linebacker/safety in high school before playing Quarterback his final year.

His issue are purely feet mechanics as he'll have no problem with his delivery at the next level because it's so explosive.

A year or 2 from now, with footwork drilling Darnold will be a smaller a blend of young Big Ben and Aaron Rodgers with an unorthodox delivery.

Makes my jeans tighter just thinking about it...

11 minutes ago, mistakey said:

I was speaking about my love for Watson last year.

As he should. I wish her the best.

One mistake? Showing immaturity on the field by cussing out fans, flipping off fans, grabbing his crotch, hitting opponents in the head with footballs in warm ups, and a run in with police due to a D and D. Maybe these things aren’t a big deal but it’s far from one mistake.

46 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

he’s three years younger

To be fair Darnold is closer to a year and a half younger than he is to 3 years younger. It's actually less than 2 years and 2 months. I'd say just about everyone would round down in that scenario unless you just want to exaggerate to prop one guy up even higher.

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I was speaking about my love for Watson last year.

As he should. I wish her the best.

One mistake? Showing immaturity on the field by cussing out fans, flipping off fans, grabbing his crotch, hitting opponents in the head with footballs in warm ups, and a run in with police due to a D and D. Maybe these things aren’t a big deal but it’s far from one mistake.

14 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Darnold is not pinpoint accurate and the fact that you acknowledge his footwork flaws contradicts your own earlier point

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

That's legitimately a bunch of stuff that doesn't matter, and a drunk and disorderly.

I'm pretty sure most everybody loves the hitting an opponent in the head with a pre-game throw. How better to get into their heads than getting into their heads? Plus, shows that ++ accuracy.

The crotch grab is whatever. And there were mitigating factors that no one talks about (they refused to shake his hand pre-game, took two cheap shots to his head during the game, and a big chunk of their bench was making the gesture at him earlier in the game, they just didn't get filmed because a bunch of random Kansas players don't get the scrutiny that he would.)

Would I prefer he not flip off/cuss out fans? Sure, but that does utterly nothing to his on-field performance, it's not something that could become a legal issue, it wouldn't even be mentioned if it wasn't for people trying to make the Manziel comparison. Plus, have you heard the stuff that gets shouted at these guys from the stands? I'd be tempted to flip some dudes off too.

None of this is to say that I LIKE these things, or wouldn't prefer him to cut it out. But other than the Drunk and Disorderly, which is a legit concern, none of this stuff even makes a blip on my radar. The real concerns with the big three:

Darnold - Will he continue his mental development, hand size/fumble issues
Rosen - Deep ball arm strength, health
Mayfield - Height, Offensive System, drunk and disorderly

15 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Darnold is not pinpoint accurate and the fact that you acknowledge his footwork flaws contradicts your own earlier point

I’m a little confused why you quoted me here. Is this directed towards me?

2 hours ago, mistakey said:

Nope...I did not contradict myself.

You didn't address any of my points.

You: Darnold has an unorthodox delivery and footwork issues.

You: Bortles has an unorthodox delivery and footwork issues.

You. Brandon Weeden has an unorthodox delivery and footwork issues.

You: Therefore, Darnold is just like Bortles and Brandon Weeden.

Patrick Mahomes had terrible footwork and needed to work on it...Does that make him and Darnold similar?

Bortles and Darnold's delivery are nothing alike just like Phillip Rivers and Darnold's deliveries are nothing alike. Both are unorthodox but are completely different just like their play styles.

If you think Bortles is similar to Darnold, you either don't know what you're talking about, haven't paid attention to their play styles, or you think all QBs with unorthodox deliveries are the same and all short QBs are the same.

If you don't like Darnold, you'll need to present a better case than Bortles.

2 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Darnold - Will he continue his mental development, hand size/fumble issues
Rosen - Deep ball arm strength, health
Mayfield - Height, Offensive System, drunk and disorderly

No truer words.

Except I think Rosen has plenty of deep ball arm strength.

The central question marks for him are: Health, personality fit sustainability, deficiency in extending the play

On the positive side, a lot of people have talked about Rosen being able to come up and play well immediately, but no one seems to give Baker his due in that regard.

Baker like Rosen can come in and start right away.,

35 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Nope...I did not contradict myself.

You didn't address any of my points.

You: Darnold has an unorthodox delivery and footwork issues.

You: Bortles has an unorthodox delivery and footwork issues.

You. Brandon Weeden has an unorthodox delivery and footwork issues.

You: Therefore, Darnold is just like Bortles and Brandon Weeden.

Patrick Mahomes had terrible footwork and needed to work on it...Does that make him and Darnold similar?

Bortles and Darnold's delivery are nothing alike just like Phillip Rivers and Darnold's deliveries are nothing alike. Both are unorthodox but are completely different just like their play styles.

If you think Bortles is similar to Darnold, you either don't know what you're talking about, haven't paid attention to their play styles, or you think all QBs with unorthodox deliveries are the same and all short QBs are the same.

If you don't like Darnold, you'll need to present a better case than Bortles or else it makes you sound completely unknowledgeable about the game.

Footwork and accuracy are 100% correlated.  

Archived