Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

Just now, duke2056 said:

Not makin sense here.  You responded to a quote of mine that you couldn't understand.  It was very easy to understand.  "Results do not automatically mean better QB play than others".

Please explain to me what that quote even means. That's what I was trying to say. Then you came after me with a quote that I haven't heard since high school dating:

If you arent able to figure that out, not sure it would help for me to explain it.  

Please, explain it. 

Just now, duke2056 said:

I responded to you quoting me.  So, exactly what's your issue here?  Do you still not understand what I was saying? 

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. I have no earthly idea what point you were trying to make and was hoping for an explanation instead of a dismissive and passive aggressive comment like the one above.

Just now, duke2056 said:

Or do you and just want to argue about something?

Not right now. I'll hold off for something worthwhile, like us keeping a fourth string RB over Terrell Pryor. Am I right @LETSGOBROWNIES or @mistakey?

11 hours ago, bruceb said:

So how is that predictive of anything in the NFL?

playing against top tier talent and doing well correlates with playing against top tier talent in the NFL, especially if you meet all of the bare minimum of measurables (arm strength, height, weight, athleticism) - which it sure seems like baker does.  the only three real knocks against the kid are
1. whether or not you think he's the second coming of JFF, mentally
2. his height
3. his conference

but he did well out side his conference and historically well inside his conference, so, check that one off

2 hours ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Colt Brennan went for 72% and 52TDs. Kellen Moore went for 74% and 43TDs.

There are numerous examples of great college players that put up gaudy stats and were not qualified to be successful pro QBs.

One was a 6th round pick and the other went undrafted, so stats definitely don't mean everything. Mayfield is an actual top NFL prospect though who will almost certainly go in the top 5 even with being on the short side and having an arrest.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Please explain to me what that quote even means. That's what I was trying to say. Then you came after me with a quote that I haven't heard since high school dating:

If you arent able to figure that out, not sure it would help for me to explain it.  

Please, explain it. 

That's EXACTLY what I'm saying. I have no earthly idea what point you were trying to make and was hoping for an explanation instead of a dismissive and passive aggressive comment like the one above.

Not right now. I'll hold off for something worthwhile, like us keeping a fourth string RB over Terrell Pryor. Am I right @LETSGOBROWNIES or @mistakey?

whats crazy is that robert turbin has more TDs than terrelle pryor over the last two years

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

One was a 6th round pick and the other went undrafted, so stats definitely don't mean everything. Mayfield is an actual top NFL prospect though who will almost certainly go in the top 5 even with being on the short side and having an arrest.

Mayfield is arguably an actual top NFL prospect.

I will predict that he won't go in the Top 5, unless we Browns it up and take him #1.

I personally wouldn't draft him.

On my first extended watch of Mayfield, I bought into a lot of his traits and liked what I saw with his accuracy.

I think with time though and watching more, I have soured after weighing it all up. The Georgia second half was like a nail in the coffin personally.

That being said, I do understand why there are people that like him. Within his scheme and the plays that are drawn up for him most weeks, he is accurate and a good decision maker. They are nice qualities to have.

For me it just comes down to the belief I have that his system is fraudulent in displaying his pro potential. And when he really faced NFL style adversity against a team that figured out how to put the clamps on the ridiculous run game and gadget stuff, he was like a fish out of water.

I do like QBs to be tall and big, with even-keeled, mature personalities. But that's not the main reason why I don't want to draft Mayfield. It's primarily the on-field stuff.

13 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

On my first extended watch of Mayfield, I bought into a lot of his traits and liked what I saw with his accuracy.

I think with time though and watching more, I have soured after weighing it all up. The Georgia second half was like a nail in the coffin personally.

That being said, I do understand why there are people that like him. Within his scheme and the plays that are drawn up for him most weeks, he is accurate and a good decision maker. They are nice qualities to have.

For me it just comes down to the belief I have that his system is fraudulent in displaying his pro potential. And when he really faced NFL style adversity against a team that figured out how to put the clamps on the ridiculous run game and gadget stuff, he was like a fish out of water.

I do like QBs to be tall and big, with even-keeled, mature personalities. But that's not the main reason why I don't want to draft Mayfield. It's primarily the on-field stuff.

What about the Georgia tape outweighs his destruction of an equally talented OSU defense?

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

What about the Georgia tape outweighs his destruction of an equally talented OSU defense?

I won't speak for him, but a lot of people don't believe that 2 games in OSU's defense was very good, especially with all of that youth. Just look at the Indiana game. For right or for wrong, that's how many perceive it.

Wait, I guess maybe I did speak for him. Sorry if I'm wrong there @Aztec Hammer

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Great college football performance, the second half at least. But I'm just not impressed. Two TDs on pop passes to wide open guys and a third on a nice scramble drill but not really something I envision happening much in the pros unless you're Russell Wilson. 

Where are the tight window throws under pressure? For as vaunted as Ohio State's D is, he mostly either had a ton of time, or was able to escape the pocket easily. When he did get a fierce rush, it was a mixed bag of sacks and a few nice escapes and 'making a play'.

I know I come across as a hater, but I'm honestly not. I hope he does well. I just don't see it, even in a game where he goes 27/35 for 3TDs.

I liked him early on when I first took a dive in, but the more I evaluate it, the more I think he's being overrated because of how good a college player is and how big a personality and name he is.

2 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Better stats don't automatically mean better play when comparing players.  If I have to explain it any further than that, oh well.  Not going to.  

8 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Better stats don't automatically mean better play when comparing players. 

As a prospect or as a head to head in a single game? If it's as a prospect, I would agree that stats are far from the end all/be all.

8 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

If I have to explain it any further than that, oh well.  Not going to.  

rLYV7Zn.gif

On 1/28/2018 at 10:00 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We must shop at different grocery stores.

None of the baggers ever get my terrible dad joke when they ask if I want my milk in a bag and I tell them, “no, just leave it in the jug.”

Just so you know, you’d look really cool to them when after they don’t get it you try explaining it to them. Cool points for sure coming your way!

2 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Just so you know, you’d look really cool to them when after they don’t get it you try explaining it to them. Cool points for sure coming your way!

Explain it to them? Please. I’m too busy making sure the stoned 16 doesn’t put the bleach on top of my bread.

Archived