Is there an argument for Baker Mayfield #1 ?

bosko1616

3 minutes ago, mistakey said:

Footwork and accuracy are 100% correlated.  

Yes. Indeed, they are.

Still not an argument or logical basis for why 1 QB with footwork issues and an unorthodox delivery (Darnold) is comparable to another QB or will be like another QB with footwork issues   and an unorthodox deliver (Bortles) when those QBs are completely different in both their play style, ball placement, pocket poise, mental acuity, intangibles, "it factor," and various other dimensions of Quarterbacking.

Bortles and Darnold comparison is low hanging spoiled fruit.

31 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Yes. Indeed, they are.

Still not an argument or logical basis for why 1 QB with footwork issues and an unorthodox delivery (Darnold) is comparable to another QB or will be like another QB with footwork issues   and an unorthodox deliver (Bortles) when those QBs are completely different in both their play style, ball placement, pocket poise, mental acuity, intangibles, "it factor," and various other dimensions of Quarterbacking.

Bortles and Darnold comparison is low hanging spoiled fruit.

Nope- no logical basis in thinking that the highly touted prospect who’s looking at a top 3 draft selection with footwork issues could ever go the way of the inconsistent and accuracy plagued yet talented quarterback who also has footwork issues

you read into things maybe a little too much 

4 hours ago, bruceb said:

Why didn't Mayfield declare last year?

If he is worthy of #1 this year he surely would have been worthy of #1 last year, or at least a #2 or 3 to CHI.

No, I think he needed the prove it year. I would guess he would have been a 2nd round pick (maybe ours?). If Mayfield's theme continues he will go undrafted and get a camp invite and end up the starting QB, he has done that a couple times already.

If he was 6'4 he probably would have been the 1st QB off of the board last year but 3.5 inches mean a lot at the position as far as evaluations. Then again, Trubisky isn't very tall and had even less experience (and success) so maybe he would have.

I'm just hoping that Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, and Lamar all become studs for their respective teams that draft them so that no matter which one we draft we'll get a great one.  A man can wish can't he?

In regards to Mayfield, I guess I just find it hard to believe that a brand new FO on an 0-16 team that had passed on several QB's over the last few drafts will take a shot on "arguably" the most risky QB of the group.  That's just my opinion.

Peace!!!

Just now, cortes02 said:

I'm just hoping that Darnold, Rosen, Allen, Mayfield, and Lamar all become studs for their respective teams that draft them so that no matter which one we draft we'll get a great one.  A man can wish can't he?

In regards to Mayfield, I guess I just find it hard to believe that a brand new FO on an 0-16 team that had passed on several QB's over the last few drafts will take a shot on "arguably" the most risky QB of the group.  That's just my opinion.

Peace!!!

Risky how?

I’d argue the guy who actually has the best tape would be the lowest risk.

13 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Risky how?

Every QB in the draft is risky. I think he's a huge risk personally.

Small, with an attitude problem and arrest history. Played in a conference that doesn't bother with defense and in a system that inflates QBs stats for fun. Drops his eyes when he feels real pressure, which doesn't happen much because he doesn't get pressured much. Doesn't have to throw much into tight windows from a muddy pocket.

I'll be gutted if we take him #1. Not quite as much as if we took Allen or Jackson there, but still really disappointed.

22 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Every QB in the draft is risky. I think he's a huge risk personally.

Small, with an attitude problem and arrest history. Played in a conference that doesn't bother with defense and in a system that inflates QBs stats for fun. Drops his eyes when he feels real pressure, which doesn't happen much because he doesn't get pressured much. Doesn't have to throw much into tight windows from a muddy pocket.

I'll be gutted if we take him #1. Not quite as much as if we took Allen or Jackson there, but still really disappointed.

They all are risky, no doubt, but to say they guy who actually played football the best is a bigger risk than someone who was mediocre at best is a bit much.

His size is irrelevant imo.  When did a guy last fail due to height?  His arm is good and he has a solid build.

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They all are risky, no doubt, but to say they guy who actually played football the best is a bigger risk than someone who was mediocre at best is a bit much.

His size is irrelevant imo.  When did a guy last fail due to height?  His arm is good and he has a solid build.

My problem with height is that it helps you to fail if you aren't great at everything else. Which I don't believe Mayfield is.

Whilst Mayfield may have had the best college career, and one can categorise that as 'playing the best' I suppose, I personally believe Sam Darnold played football the best in terms of looking at them play through a professional forecast lens. Josh Rosen too.

If I'm honest, Mayfields 70%, 40 odd TDs and only 5 INTs mean very little to me in the context of how good he will be as a pro. It's an awesome college career, and they are extremely pretty stats, but the eyeball test is telling me other things.

6 minutes ago, duke2056 said:

Then whats the point of scouting?

To try to figure out who the best is at playing football.

When scouting do we simply ignore the actual game tape? Or does minutia make them “riskier” than someone who hasn’t yet managed to show they can actually play football well in the Mountain West?

6 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

My problem with height is that it helps you to fail if you aren't great at everything else. Which I don't believe Mayfield is.

Whilst Mayfield may have had the best college career, and one can categorise that as 'playing the best' I suppose, I personally believe Sam Darnold played football the best in terms of looking at them play through a professional forecast lens. Josh Rosen too.

If I'm honest, Mayfields 70%, 40 odd TDs and only 5 INTs mean very little to me in the context of how good he will be as a pro. It's an awesome college career, and they are extremely pretty stats, but the eyeball test is telling me other things.

I don’t disagree, Darnold is the apple of my eye as well, then at least on the field, Rosen.

I do think Mayfield is significantly better, and safer, than either Jackson or Allen though.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Risky how?

Size and character issues. I'm once bitten twice shy from the whole 6 foot, plays with moxie, Johnny Manziel mold rookie QBs. The whole flag planting, crotch grabbing, finger giving attitude rubs me the wrong way. That is how he acted when he was winning. Image what he would be like on an 0-16 team. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

10 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Size and character issues. I'm once bitten twice shy from the whole 6 foot, plays with moxie, Johnny Manziel mold rookie QBs. The whole flag planting, crotch grabbing, finger giving attitude rubs me the wrong way. That is how he acted when he was winning. Image what he would be like on an 0-16 team. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

I’ll ask again, who was the last qb to bust because they were too short?

I get the JFF parallels, but Manziel isn’t out of the league because he’s bad at football.

As far as the antics, is “rubs me the wrong way” a legit concern? I feel like that’s one step away from “I don’t like his t shirt” or “he drinks light beer”.  How relevant is not being a doosh to being a good QB?

As far as him on an 0-16 team, I sure hope we never find out.

14 hours ago, bruceb said:

Why didn't Mayfield declare last year?

If he is worthy of #1 this year he surely would have been worthy of #1 last year, or at least a #2 or 3 to CHI.

@Thomas5737 is right in that he probably needed one more year to show improvement and prove he was legit, especially with the height hanging over him.

But he also stated that he had always dreamed of playing for Oklahoma (he transferred there to walk on, after starting at Texas Tech, without even telling his new coach because he wanted to play there so badly), and that he wanted the shot at winning the national championship.

Archived