Week 8: ‘Vens @ Cards

Ray Reed

2 hours ago, AngusMcFife said:

Just watched a play on SNF where a TE was held up for a split second and the refs call forward progress stopped. 

It's like they aren't even trying to be consistent crew to crew, game to game. 

NFL and their refs are complete garbage.

Also nice to see Gus Edwards spin up and go off. Thought Bateman and Zay were gonna score, but sigh...

• Like 1

On 10/30/2023 at 5:13 PM, Ray Reed said:

The next progression Lamar needs to make is starting to hit these check down options instead of holding the ball for 4+ seconds when the primary reads are covered. A 2-3 yard completion is worlds better than eating an 8-9 yard loss on a sack

His analysis is very cherry picked. Lamar has been hitting his checkdowns all season long, which is why his completion percentage is in the 70s. Yet he’s also found a way to not rely on checkdowns and still trust his OL to give him the time to make the big plays.

I’d rather Lamar not be check down royalty like Flacco and pass up all the big plays because he didn’t use his mobility to aid the offense in making magic.

Besides the 1st play he had Gus as a check down, the second play he had Ricard as his check down, but the last two were well covered and there wasn’t an obvious check down option. Those were absolute coverage sacks. So two plays in a sea of snaps.

If anything Lamar needs to improve his timing for passes on screen plays, that and holding onto the football… though he seems to have been much improved with the latter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

His analysis is very cherry picked. Lamar has been hitting his checkdowns all season long, which is why his completion percentage is in the 70s. Yet he’s also found a way to not rely on checkdowns and still trust his OL to give him the time to make the big plays.

I’d rather Lamar not be check down royalty like Flacco and pass up all the big plays because he didn’t use his mobility to aid the offense in making magic.

Besides the 1st play he had Gus as a check down, the second play he had Ricard as his check down, but the last two were well covered and there wasn’t an obvious check down option. Those were absolute coverage sacks. So two plays in a sea of snaps.

If anything Lamar needs to improve his timing for passes on screen plays, that and holding onto the football… though he seems to have been much improved with the latter.

I was going to post this same thought a few days ago and forgot.

The good thing about checking down is that you don't take sacks. The bad thing is I think it creates tendencies to bail on sitting in the pocket and trusting your protection. I've watched way too much Derek Carr and Jimmy G reps this year where they just go 1-2 reads and then panic and throw to their RB and that's not what I think this offense should be looking for.

Lamar is operating at a very high level right now. QB's will get sacked, and Lamar inherently will get sacked because he does hold the ball (as do almost all running QB's), and I'm more than willing to accept those sacks when the big plays come with them as well.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2023 at 11:43 AM, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I was going to post this same thought a few days ago and forgot.

The good thing about checking down is that you don't take sacks. The bad thing is I think it creates tendencies to bail on sitting in the pocket and trusting your protection. I've watched way too much Derek Carr and Jimmy G reps this year where they just go 1-2 reads and then panic and throw to their RB and that's not what I think this offense should be looking for.

Lamar is operating at a very high level right now. QB's will get sacked, and Lamar inherently will get sacked because he does hold the ball (as do almost all running QB's), and I'm more than willing to accept those sacks when the big plays come with them as well.

One clarification to my earlier post that I realize in retrospect could be taken in two different contexts.

With regard to holding onto the football, I didn’t mean, holding onto it too long in the pocket, but rather… fumbling the football at such a high clip.

He started the season off at a torrent pace, but has reined it in some. If he keeps the fumbles under control and Stanley doesn’t get him hurt, I can’t see him not winning his second MVP this season.

18 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Seahawks don't have any elite edge rusher

There pretty good at rushing though, also have elite corners, so taking the checkdown this game would be good

Witherspoon did say bateman was the hardest to cover for him or something like that, will be a good matchup, If they go deep let it be with zay/aghlor/bate at wrs obj won't go nowhere against those witerspoon/riq