Week 8 thoughts

Mid Iowa

Sure it was against the Colts and their backup QB Uncle Rico, but a win is a win.

This was easily the best performance that we've seen from Carr since his arrival in New Orleans.

And how about Rashid Shaheed!!! The kid is a burner, and clearly he and Carr have finally figured out their timing on the long ball.

I'm still concerned about our O-line and the lack of a rushing game (or at least a pedestrian running game) but this week was better. Of course, Indy is about 21st in rushing yards allowed, and 31st in TDs allowed, so we should have had a great rushing game.

I'd love to know your thoughts.

Offense played well outside of a few miscues between Carr and the WRs. We saw MT run a few slants. They need to connect on those routes. It's a free 5-8 yards. Olave and Carr still need work. Shaheed is a god. 

OLine still isn't very good. We need a better left side. LT and LG are huge weaknesses. Maybe a trade for a LG?

Defense once again played poorly in the 1st half. Poor run defense and sloppy coverage. Allowing 27 points isn't going to cut it.

Lattimore started off the season so strong, but hasn't played well the last few weeks. We need him to step it up. When he's locking someone down we play our best defense. 

Howden looks good. A couple of rookie mistakes, but I like him a lot. He might replace Maye full time before the end of the season.

Adebo had a great game. When he doesn't commit stupid DPIs he's a baller.

We still need a new punter.

We punished a bottom feeder defense, which is a step up for our offense.  Unfortunately, defense seems intent on taking a step back.

Although I kinda feel like our defense played better than the score indicates.  I'll rewatch at some point but it feels like Minshew hit on some lucky passes.  But that's part of it, and bottom line is they gave up too many points.  They also gave up some big runs which is concerning.

All in all we didn't look like a garbage dump, which is a positive.  And the NFC south looks like trash, so we're still sitting good.

Olave is just having difficulties with Car(r)s this season it seems.

Obviously the OL still needs to improve but it's looking better.

The team's biggest issues for the rest of the season seems to be penalties.  They've been the most penalized so far this year so if they can get those under control they'll be back in it.

Also was nice to see a big boy get to move to the offensive side of the ball and help push through a TD.

• Like 1

The defense has been our bright spot this season, to date. I kinda think they're waiting for the offense to show up. All psychological.

Maybe now, both sides can start working together?

We've got a decent group of guys, like most teams have. It's just getting them to work together.

You know, I really have a hard time trying to figure out if this team is just as good as it is playing, or actually a really good team that is underperforming.  Especially considering how much we struggled with Kamara out to start the year and how Carr and Olave just can't seem to get on the right page which has resulted in a few TDs not appearing on the board.

Like Carr hits Shaheed on the deep throws no problem, but Olave he's often a little ahead of him or behind him.  Not sure if it's Carr not able to properly gauge the timing in Olave or Olave not always giving 100% on routes.

Also it's good we've started using Slant Boy in his natural role more and we should continue to do so.  I also like the fact that we are actually using motion with our players.  We weren't doing that to start the season and it made it quite easy for defenses to just setup their assignments and not show anything pre-snap due to the movement.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raves said:

You know, I really have a hard time trying to figure out if this team is just as good as it is playing, or actually a really good team that is underperforming.  Especially considering how much we struggled with Kamara out to start the year and how Carr and Olave just can't seem to get on the right page which has resulted in a few TDs not appearing on the board.

Like Carr hits Shaheed on the deep throws no problem, but Olave he's often a little ahead of him or behind him.  Not sure if it's Carr not able to properly gauge the timing in Olave or Olave not always giving 100% on routes.

Also it's good we've started using Slant Boy in his natural role more and we should continue to do so.  I also like the fact that we are actually using motion with our players.  We weren't doing that to start the season and it made it quite easy for defenses to just setup their assignments and not show anything pre-snap due to the movement.

Free 5-8 yards per play if they can start to connect on them. It would greatly improve our ability to sustain drives if Mike started cooking underneath again.

I've been screaming for it on social media, maybe Pete follows me. Use Carr in between the 20s and then Taysom should just be the RZ guy. He's unstoppable. Him and Saunders goal line play is one of my favorite plays, Saunders opens up monster holes. 

There was an obvious focus on utilizing the middle of the field more (DURRRRRR) and it paid off big time. Hopefully this is the offense we continue to see. The defense continues to play cruddy in the first half and then make some great adjustments. That long TD throw by Minshew...Nothing you can do there. Guy scrambled out of pressure and threw an absolute freaking dime into tight coverage. Great offense beats great defense.

17 hours ago, Raves said:

Olave is just having difficulties with Car(r)s this season it seems.

Obviously the OL still needs to improve but it's looking better.

The team's biggest issues for the rest of the season seems to be penalties.  They've been the most penalized so far this year so if they can get those under control they'll be back in it.

Also was nice to see a big boy get to move to the offensive side of the ball and help push through a TD.

Made me l o l

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Kingram said:

The Raiders fans don’t seem to be rubbing it in our faces anymore, wonder why

They had no business doing so to start with.  Yea, Carr has been bad minus a handful of quarters, but Jimmy G and Joshy McD are straight up garbage.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2023 at 10:45 PM, Jlowe22 said:

They had no business doing so to start with.  Yea, Carr has been bad minus a handful of quarters, but Jimmy G and Joshy McD are straight up garbage.

What was the magic sauce Bill B. had with Jimmy G and Micky D? When he filled in for Brady, he was money. He became a high value trade, and turned to crap immediately. Maybe Billy/Patriots can get them both back and improve their record to 3-14