Intresting perspective concerning Brees free agency...

whodatworm23

So Roger Goodell signed a new 5 year 200 million dollar deal with the NFL that is rumored to have little sweetners such as the use of a private jet and free health insurance for he and his family for life.

Of course as you would imagine many of the players are beside themselves over this news and quite a few as taken to twitter to voice there frustrations. One intresting bit of information that came out of all ot this that kinda opened my eyes was this...

Since 2006 Goodell has earned 200 million from the NFL. Thats more than any NFL player during that time frame... The one player closest to those earnings since 2006?

You guessed it... Drew Brees at 183.94 million. 

Reguardless of how any of us view Brees and his approach to his money, we need to all agree that the Saints have awarded him handsomely for all hes done and in turn Brees himself has done very little to help the franchise's efforts to keep a winning roster around him. Now that the shoe is on the other foot and Brees himself will be looking for preferential treatment this offseason reguarding a nee deal from the club its obviously clear that despite being the best player in franchise history, the debt is paid when you look at it from the clubs perspective so any new money Brees receives this offseason should be based solely on what the team feels hes worth moving forward and have absolutely zero to do with paying him for what hes done in the past and if Brees and hes agent disagrees with that then the Saints should dig their heels in the sand and move on.

WHODAT

I totally agree. 

His strength is declining, yet he's still a solid top 5. I really hope the brass looks at the sharp decline and compares it to the sharp decline we saw in Peyton Manning a few years back, and adjusts accordingly. 

This offense is obviously designed around Brees and his current short game ability (screens and slants). Payton will fight to keep him, I just hope it's at a reasonable price. 

Maybe something performance based? 

18 minutes ago, Mid Iowa said:

I totally agree. 

His strength is declining, yet he's still a solid top 5. I really hope the brass looks at the sharp decline and compares it to the sharp decline we saw in Peyton Manning a few years back, and adjusts accordingly. 

This offense is obviously designed around Brees and his current short game ability (screens and slants). Payton will fight to keep him, I just hope it's at a reasonable price. 

Maybe something performance based? 

It just really highlights what ive always heard around Airline Dr and thats despite Payton having a close bond with Brees... Managmant (Loomis) has always been frustrated with how Brees and his representatives have handled negotiations. Its another reason why despite team needs, if the right QB is within striking distance in the draft I think they pounce. Just like they were prepared to do with Mahomes. 

6 hours ago, domepatrol91 said:

I don’t see it. Not unless he’s fired Condon

This...

Condon will squeeze every nickel out of Loomis if Loomis allows it. Fact is Loomis must play hardball amd dig his heels in and force Brees to make Condon settle. Of not, make it clear that we are prepared to move foward in a new direction at quarterback.

Yeah, Brees has pulled in $184 mill as a QB, a great deal of that is from Benson. Brees just bought in to a film company, owns several other businesses...

I think he'll be fine with a less-than premium contract, or playing elsewhere.

Besides, who would want to go play 1-2 years somewhere else? There isn't another team out there that ISN'T struggling that really needs a QB other than Miami (who may actually have theirs) and maybe Arizona.

3 hours ago, Mid Iowa said:

Yeah, Brees has pulled in $184 mill as a QB, a great deal of that is from Benson. Brees just bought in to a film company, owns several other businesses...

I think he'll be fine with a less-than premium contract, or playing elsewhere.

Besides, who would want to go play 1-2 years somewhere else? There isn't another team out there that ISN'T struggling that really needs a QB other than Miami (who may actually have theirs) and maybe Arizona.

Jacksonville... but that's really the only team but everyone expects them to go big at Cousins, Eli, and Jimmy G if he doesn't get an immediate extension/franchise

Archived