Trevor Lawrence and the Jags - Year 4 (T-Law is what he is)

notthatbluestuff

3 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Jameis? Baker? Mariota?

“Most NFL QBs”

”Most NFL QBs who were first round picks”

”Most NFL QBs who were high first round picks”

”Most NFL QBs who were high first round picks and showed promise”

”Most NFL QBs were high first round picks, showed promise, and received extensions”

Welp, got us now

Just now, Soko said:

“Most NFL QBs”

”Most NFL QBs who were first round picks”

”Most NFL QBs who were high first round picks”

”Most NFL QBs who were high first round picks and showed promise”

”Most NFL QBs were high first round picks, showed promise, and received extensions”

Welp, got us now

It isn't uncommon for first round QB's that have flashed good play/potential to get extended going into year 4, basically every single one that has been good has been extended lol

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

So the guys that didn't get extended? All of the young first round picks that did get an extension got it between year 3 and 4...

I was kinda thinking maybe he shouldn't have been extended at all like those guys lol 

Just now, Soggust said:

I was kinda thinking maybe he shouldn't have been extended at all like those guys lol 

Jags were in a tough spot though, he looked like he had a ton of potential in year two and they started strong last season.

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

It isn't uncommon for first round QB's that have flashed good play/potential to get extended going into year 4, basically every single one that has been good has been extended lol

Are there any more parameters you wanna add, lol.

Other teams doing dumb things isn’t a good justification for the Jaguars doing a dumb thing. Teams overpay for FAs every offseason too, doesn’t mean [insert FA who is playing like dogwater] was a good signing. 

Just now, Soko said:

Are there any more parameters you wanna add, lol.

Other teams doing dumb things isn’t a good justification for the Jaguars doing a dumb thing. Teams overpay for FAs every offseason too, doesn’t mean [insert FA who is playing like dogwater] was a good signing. 

No I'm just saying for the young QB's that have been extended, year three to four is typically when it happens. So the Jags extending him when they did wasn't out of the ordinary. 

9 minutes ago, Soggust said:

They were put into a tough situation to be sure.  He did very well following the Urban Meyer debacle year, for basically a season and a half.  They should have extended the fifth year option to see what this season would hold.  That’s why it’s there.  As a #1 pick, that’s a substantial extension on its own.  

Instead, they rushed to commit to Lawrence and have to make it work cap-wise for a much longer period of time than if they waited. 

I will say that, even if his ceiling is Kirk Cousins-esque, there is something to be said for being able to get your team to the playoffs just about every year.  It keeps the fan base engaged, you know that tickets and merchandise won’t be an issue and you get a piece of the post-season pie every year.  So say the Jaguars did move on, and they go through a seven year period where they only make the playoffs once?  As a Washington fan who experienced this, I would’ve rather kept Cousins. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

They were put into a tough situation to be sure.  He did very well following the Urban Meyer debacle year, for basically a season and a half.  They should have extended the fifth year option to see what this season would hold.  That’s why it’s there.  As a #1 pick, that’s a substantial extension on its own.  

Instead, they rushed to commit to Lawrence and have to make it work cap-wise for a much longer period of time than if they waited. 

I will say that, even if his ceiling is Kirk Cousins-esque, there is something to be said for being able to get your team to the playoffs just about every year.  It keeps the fan base engaged, you know that tickets and merchandise won’t be an issue and you get a piece of the post-season pie every year.  So say the Jaguars did move on, and they go through a seven year period where they only make the playoffs once?  As a Washington fan who experienced this, I would’ve rather kept Cousins. 

The way people talk about him in here you'd think he was just absolutely terrible. They should've beaten Miami week one and were in it until the final play against Cleveland. I'm not sure I can remember a team having to start the year with 4 games against playoff teams from their conference either.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

No I'm just saying for the young QB's that have been extended, year three to four is typically when it happens. So the Jags extending him when they did wasn't out of the ordinary. 

There was absolutely nothing stopping them from riding out Year 4 and Year 5. There hasn’t been a peep about TL holding out for a new deal. They overpaid because they thought they needed to, when they could’ve and should’ve waited. The tough situation they were put in was self fabricated.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Jags were in a tough spot though, he looked like he had a ton of potential in year two and they started strong last season.

I agree it was a terrible spot, but the resume wasn't strong enough to commit early imo.

1st / 5th / 3rd in turnovers over 3 years is the elephant in the room for a guy who doesn't produce a lot of TDs. 

2 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

You say "even if", but I think a Kirk Cousins' ceiling statistically is fairly optimistic at this point. 

You also kind of describe his floor (getting them to the playoffs just about every year), which I think is the best part of Cousins. He's consistently good year over year where Trevor basically has a half a year of elite play to his name.  

On 11/13/2023 at 6:33 AM, GHARMON9 said:

Its not even that.

Mac Jones situation has always been worse yet they have similar production.

And even just looking at his stats for the year is very concerning.

Ridley, Kirk, Z.Jones, Engram and Etienne is a great cast.

I know the entire league offenses are down as a whole, but more TOs than TDs ? 

How is he a not having a bad year let alone still a good player?

I would hardly call that a great cast.  Ridley and Kirk are #2's at best, Jones is a bum, Engram is a slightly above average TE, Etienne is an above average back, their Oline is putrid and their D is terrible.  He has some weapons but calling his supporting cast great is just nonsense. 

Just now, Soggust said:

I agree it was a terrible spot, but the resume wasn't strong enough to commit early imo.

1st / 5th / 3rd in turnovers over 3 years is the elephant in the room for a guy who doesn't produce a lot of TDs. 

He reminds me a lot of Derek Carr, has his moments, doesn't throw for a lot of TD, turns the ball over hella.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Soko said:

There was absolutely nothing stopping them from riding out Year 4 and Year 5. There hasn’t been a peep about TL holding out for a new deal. They overpaid because they thought they needed to, when they could’ve and should’ve waited. The tough situation they were put in was self fabricated.

I can definitely agree with that especially after how he finished last season.

2 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I would hardly call that a great cast.  Ridley and Kirk are #2's at best, Jones is a bum, Engram is a slightly above average TE, Etienne is an above average back, their Oline is putrid and their D is terrible.  He has some weapons but calling his supporting cast great is just nonsense. 

They signed the goat Gabe Davis