Antonio Pierce named HC

NCOUGHMAN

4 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Agreed. Wins over Easton Stick, Tommy Devito, and Zach Wilson don't do it for me.

With our remaining schedule, we likely won't be playing anyone of that quality again. The Chiefs won't be resting anyone, the Colts and Minshew are probably going to be fighting for their playoff lives, and the Broncos may very well be too. 

We'll learn a lot more these next 3 weeks about this staff the next 3 weeks than we did the last 5, I imagine. I'm willing to chalk the last 2 up to being anomalies, and everyone has a relatively clean slate- which isn't an endorsement or indictment of anyone. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Justwinning said:

Remember when the entire website was so high on Brandon Staley being hired by the Chargers a few years ago?

He was a “young and innovative defensive mind” who did a great job with the Rams. Nearly 3 years later he will be remembered as a failed clown of a coach. 

It goes to show that being a successful head coach is more than just installing a system.

Exactly. McDaniels , Hackett and countless other failed coordinators who had good offenses under HCs was the same way. The media hypes the asst coaches up

There’s much more important aspects on being a successful HC than just installing an offensive system. 

Can Ben Johnson relate , motivate and lead a team while calling plays? Lions aren’t the greatest show on turf. They are  seemed to plateau and scored just as many points vs Bears than we did with Hoyer 

Edited by bucksavage1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

If we got to play Easton Stick every week I'd give AP / AOC lifetime contracts

Yep there we go again. Discrediting AP victories again. This time, it is the Chargers quit on the coach and they had Easton Stick.

Half the league is playing against back up QBs!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Because Ben Johnson will install a great offensive system. Just like Sirianni did for the Eagles. What makes you think Pierce is going to install a great system or had any clue what so ever how to hire coordinators?

For every Sirianni, there’s a Hackett. It is more important to have a leader and motivator

We were 10 points away from setting an NFL record for points. Pierce can absolutely have a great offense. He’s been consulting with Marvin Lewis, Gase and Coughlin. A full offseason to work on the program would do wonders 

If we hire Ben Johnson, we would 100% lose Patrick Graham and the defense will be forced to learn a new scheme

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Oh yeah I know that 1 game isn't comparable to 1 season. Trust me, I'm not advocating for Bo to be kept around as OC based on 1 game, if at all. Antonio Pierce is still an amateur to me, though undoubtedly entertaining in the wild NFL. I'm being partly facetious, because there are A LOT of Graham supporters who want to only take this year in a vacuum, tout how good he is with zero context, refuse to acknowledge his past failings, and argue tooth and nail without a single shred of legitimate evidence to support any assertion they make on him. I find it funny that they'll outright reject applying a similar logic to other things whilst proclaiming a superior "logic". 

What I'm getting at is that Patrick Graham was bad last year. Bad decisions, bad scheming, bad adjustments, and bad results. 

He's done this before- he had one year in NY his D was borderline great, while the rest were pretty bad. Care to go look up their opponents that one year? 

I wasn't sold on him last year and thought he absolutely should have been fired. I firmly believe he wasn't because Josh wasn't going to fire him, and I believe he got off easy because of how atrocious our offense wound up being with Josh and Lombardi running the show. 

I don't believe he can repeat what we've done this year. First, he's never shown himself as capable of year to year success. He's had a good year here and there, but he's been largely bottom of the barrel between those rare years- not mid, but objectively bad defenses fielded. Second, our quality of opponents this year is not something that is going to happen on an annual basis. In almost half of our games, we've played replacement level or worse QBs. That matters. That doesn't get to be handwaved away because our DVOA whatever from PFF looks nifty THIS year. To your credit, you acknowledged our quality of opposition right off the bat. Thus, I'm willing to entertain a discussion about whether Graham deserves to be kept around- or even held as a requirement for a new HC to keep around. Like I said, @NYRaider made a good point regarding having someone around if only for consistency sake. 

The root question is "What gives one faith in Patrick Graham, without rejecting our weak opponents being a factor in our improvement, without rejecting the other years he's been a DC and yielded bad results". So far, nobody has answered that other than pointing out this singular year- while dodging the opponent quality issue. That's where the facetious question about Hardigree comes in- if we're going to ignore all the longer term evidence and rely solely on recency bias, why not make the same argument for Bo and Antonio. It's bunk logic, because recency bias is always bunk logic- whether for an off drive, off game, or off season. 

Yeah I agree with a lot of this. 
our D still makes me nervous, but they’ve undoubtedly improved because we’ve made bad teams look good in the past. Now we at least making them look bad. 

I won’t cry if a new hc wants his own dc, I get it, but it sucks because he’ll want his own guys and then we will need to gel and what not. 

it is what it is though. 
hc and qb will make our break this team. 
only thing that will truly break our D is getting rid of Maxx. He is making everyone look and play better. His energy is contagious 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

For every Sirianni, there’s a Hackett. It is more important to have a leader and motivator

We were 10 points away from setting an NFL record for points. Pierce can absolutely have a great offense. He’s been consulting with Marvin Lewis, Gase and Coughlin. A full offseason to work on the program would do wonders 

If we hire Ben Johnson, we would 100% lose Patrick Graham and the defense will be forced to learn a new scheme

Those three aren’t gonna help him next year when they have a real job somewhere. And you’re getting distracted by 1 game. It’s 1 game, who cares. And if you wanna obsess over 1 game, did you not see last week? No coach worth his salt gets shutout at home. 

11 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Those three aren’t gonna help him next year when they have a real job somewhere. And you’re getting distracted by 1 game. It’s 1 game, who cares. And if you wanna obsess over 1 game, did you not see last week? No coach worth his salt gets shutout at home. 

Saying I’m obsessing over one game while you’re doing the same lol sure

Yes the team score 0 on Sunday and they rebounded by scoring 63. That’s the coach getting the team to focus. Raiders could have easily quit too

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

Yep there we go again. Discrediting AP victories again. This time, it is the Chargers quit on the coach and they had Easton Stick.

Luckily AP will have his chance to prove himself against three playoff teams to end the season.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Luckily AP will have his chance to prove himself against three playoff teams to end the season.

AP in a tough spot, because 2 of them if he wins, they wont be playoff teams and then therefore not worthy opponents, and if he losses, will just show he cant beat playoff teams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

We put up 60 with backups and mfs crying some fans

as a player you can’t tank out there on the field unless you a lil b

• Like 2