Pats 2024 Draft.

m haynes

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Exactly.

add in a head coach who was a former NFL QB himself (and a Patriot!) and a starter who allows McC to sit a year....

O'Connell certainly got Cousins' best years out of him.

• Like 1

one more and i'm done, guys.... lol

when O'Connell was hired by the Vikings he said something like he spent his entire NFL quarterbacking career on the sidelines watching games, so he was primed early on to be a coach....

12 hours ago, vike daddy said:

add in a head coach who was a former NFL QB himself (and a Patriot!) and a starter who allows McC to sit a year....

O'Connell certainly got Cousins' best years out of him.

But you don't have to go all the way up to 3 to get McCarthy.  Why send all that draft capital to New England when you can probably get McCarthy at 5 or 6 and keep your 1st round pick next year out of it.

• Like 1

Just now, prob2236 said:

But you don't have to go all the way up to 3 to get McCarthy.  Why send all that draft capital to New England when you can probably get McCarthy at 5 or 6 and keep your 1st round pick next year out of it.

fine by me!

i'll make the guess the Vikings want the Patriots' #3 to draft Maye, if he doesn't go at #2.

if Maye is gone, then the Vikes go for McCarthy at #5.

21 hours ago, prob2236 said:

I cant imagine the McCarthy #3 overall is a real thing.  I haven't heard a single commentator or analyst say that they think McCarthy #3 overall makes sense.  This would be such a boneheaded move.

It keeps gaining traction….

I don’t buy it, personally. I don’t see how he’s a 3rd overall pick. See his stat lines in some wins. Michigan won games when he didn’t even reach 100 yards passing

• Like 1

Not saying he can’t do it, but JJ was a passenger in many of Michigan‘s clutch moments in the season. 

We don’t really have the evidence that he can lead an NFL team to the playoffs

Thats without even mentioning our situation. In Michigan he had an elite OL, a RB that carried the team, and future pros in Loveland and Wilson. Here he has a mid at best OL, and a bottom 5 WR room. He will be dusted here.

Makes far more sense for him to be a Viking, tbh @vike daddy

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

It keeps gaining traction….

I don’t buy it, personally. I don’t see how he’s a 3rd overall pick. 

i don't know if i posted it here or not because i'm in 5 different conversations somewhere about McCarthy, but i posted a tweet from some NFL analyst who says its Harbaugh driving the McCarthy Madness, hoping he'll be drafted in the top four so he gets the choice of the litter after the QB's are gone. since he doesn't need one in LA.

On 4/2/2024 at 7:49 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

Didn’t they effectively sit JJ in 4th quarters? They didn’t really use him in the Penn st game.

Alarm bells. I think he has very good traits but will bust in the NFL. He’s not been tested yet, so I can’t see why he’s a top 4 pick. End of first, sure

McCarthy didn't play at all in 7 4th quarters. However, compared to what is viewed as the top QBs. First half passing attempts (minus screens) McCarthy 199, Maye 194, Daniels 184, Williams 167.  % of pass attempts (minus screens) against top-25 defense McCarthy 49.7%, Williams 35.4%, Maye 17.9%, Daniels 16.2%. 

Penn State had a smaller very quick defensive front and Michigan had trouble pas protecting, but they were picking up around 5 yards per rush. 

Most people that don't like McCarthy watch one or two games or maybe a few highlights, McCarthy is a guy that you need to watch every game. He will be the best QB in this draft class. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, vike daddy said:

i don't know if i posted it here or not because i'm in 5 different conversations somewhere about McCarthy, but i posted a tweet from some NFL analyst who says its Harbaugh driving the McCarthy Madness, hoping he'll be drafted in the top four so he gets the choice of the litter after the QB's are gone. since he doesn't need one in LA.

The problem with that theory is that Harbaugh was saying McCarthy was the best Michigan QB of all time in November...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jofos said:

Most people that don't like McCarthy watch one or two games or maybe a few highlights, McCarthy is a guy that you need to watch every game. He will be the best QB in this draft class. 

yeah, baby!

4 hours ago, jofos said:

McCarthy didn't play at all in 7 4th quarters. However, compared to what is viewed as the top QBs. First half passing attempts (minus screens) McCarthy 199, Maye 194, Daniels 184, Williams 167.  % of pass attempts (minus screens) against top-25 defense McCarthy 49.7%, Williams 35.4%, Maye 17.9%, Daniels 16.2%. 

Penn State had a smaller very quick defensive front and Michigan had trouble pas protecting, but they were picking up around 5 yards per rush. 

What are you basing that final part on?

Arm strength, accuracy, awareness, football IQ, pocket presence, mobility, leadership, work ethic, unselfishness, ability to read a defense, being willing to take what is there without forcing things, and just the ability to play QB. 

I have major concerns with JJ, was it him or the team around him.  I saw the combine and wasn't impressed.  I saw flaws, such as arm strength, accuracy and many of his throw were looped and late. See 40, 100, 120, 130,142,155,203, 233 (bad yikes) 311, 320  I had to stop after this.

He has everything you want in a QB however he lacks in the passing department. I do not see a top 10 QB.  He will need a SF offense with players to have any chance.  He will need a offense that utilizes a short passing game.

Also I question Jim Harbaugh's motives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1Yc2THz28

14 hours ago, m haynes said:

I have major concerns with JJ, was it him or the team around him.  I saw the combine and wasn't impressed.  I saw flaws, such as arm strength, accuracy and many of his throw were looped and late. See 40, 100, 120, 130,142,155,203, 233 (bad yikes) 311, 320  I had to stop after this.

He has everything you want in a QB however he lacks in the passing department. I do not see a top 10 QB.  He will need a SF offense with players to have any chance.  He will need a offense that utilizes a short passing game.

Also I question Jim Harbaugh's motives. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_1Yc2THz28

I am really not trying to convince anyone about McCarthy but the whole team around him  thing is really not very accurate. Having the 252 and 325 ranked prospects as your offensive tackles isn't really a big deal. Over the last two seasons Michigan has had 8 prospects ranked in the top 100, McCarthy 23, Wilson 46, Corum 84 are the only three offensive players. 

Throwing at the combine is simply about spinning the ball. No one has questioned McCarthy's arm strength after the combine. And accuracy throwing to guys that you met for the first time a few hours earlier is not really expected. If you want a better example of throwing on air watch the pro days. In the pro days QBs are throwing to guys that they know and have worked with. 

I don't expect the Patriots to draft McCarthy, it's possible they go Daniels or Maye, but what I expect is in two years the Patriots will be draft another QB if they don't draft McCarthy.

JJ McCarthy Pro Day video from Michigan's NFL showcase: ground level video inside the session (youtube.com)

JJ McCarthy All Throws and Runs 2023 Season (youtube.com)

Edited by jofos